That's News!

• @bam541

One comment below the article says:

No matter what your stance on this is I will repeat myself and say that the more bad press Sony gets the better it will be for all of us because it will force them to do more pro consumer things

Great thinking. 😃

• @scotty I think that GamePass is sustainable for Microsoft because they generally don't release nearly as many high profile games as Sony does. A lot of their offerings on GamePass are filler like Sea of Thieves, Grounded, or that terrible hero shooter Ninja Theory made, Cutting Edge.
    But for a company like Sony, that basically only releases gigantic AAA tentpole franchises, releasing them to play day 1 on a subscription service isn't nearly as lucrative for them, especially considering that their 1st party releases regularly break sales records.

Not to mention I think Microsoft has a lot more to gain in regards to consumer mindshare by doing this. Halo is a shadow of its former self, modern Gears is mediocre at best, and the only real exclusive titles they have that can be unanimously considered great is Forza Horizon.

Personally I don't subscribe to any of these rental services because I already have a titanic library of games, and I prefer owning my games to not, even if it means paying more in the end. I can totally understand it if you're new to gaming and want a huge library of games available to you out if the gate, but I'm personally not interested in any of it.

• @el-shmiablo

My buddy is the same way as you and definitely wants to own all of his games, but what's been amazing about Game Pass and subscription services is that it's brought my hometown friends together like never before. We play Battlefield V and Halo 3 almost daily now and we didn't have to "buy" anything. It's definitely opened windows for sure.

For me, I don't mind Sony's model of full price video games. Xbox Game Pass can only do what they do because they have Micro$oft money, but I do think PlayStation should have a response when their exclusive game is "free" on one system and costs $89.99 + tax on their own.

• @dipset To be honest, I don't think Sony really care, because they are still making money either way. People who have invested in the Sony ecosystem to play the game aren't suddenly going to turn around and buy an entirely new console just for one game, but people on Xbox who have been waiting for literally anything baseball since MLB was exclusive to Sony for so long, now get to enjoy the game for free, and Sony is still pulling in the fat stacks.

I understand that this is great for the consumer, but Sony still control the power narrative in the industry. They announce a new game and people lose their minds. Microsoft announce a new Halo and most people just hope it won't suck as much as the last one did.
    I expect they'll have a response at some point, but I don't think this is what will force their hand. They need to actually lose ground first, which they haven't done.

• @dipset

yeah game pass on xbox is pretty cool. so much good stuff to play and lots of stuff i've never played before too. whenever i'm not playing stuff on my switch i'm usually playing stuff on xbox gamepass with my friends tbh

@el-shmiablo said in That's News!:

Sony still control the power narrative in the industry. They announce a new game and people lose their minds.

uh huh....

• @yoshi Thanks you for that insightful post that really added to the discussion.

• "What if I told you there’s an ancient PlayStation game that mixes the persistent open world of Shenmue with the surrealism of Deadly Premonition?"

I don't know about you, but that description got me REALLY wanting to try this game out.

Kotaku: After 22 Years, Cult-Classic PS1 Adventure Mizzurna Falls Is Playable In English.
    https://kotaku.com/after-22-years-cult-classic-ps1-adventure-mizzurna-fal-1846608380

P.S. I already got it working on my Vita through hacks. Apparently it takes like 50 hours so this might take me a while to get through, if I like it enough...

• @bam541 I love stuff like this. There are several dozen Japanese only weird adventure games stuck on the PlayStation & Saturn lost to time.

• @paulmci27 Yeah, I'm super thankful for people that care enough to preserve them like the translators here. Makes the recent Sony debacle a bit more stingy tbh.

• @paulmci27 agreed. i would kill for a rerelease of Tomba and Tomba 2

• @el-shmiablo

I think you’re totally right but there are so many types of gamers out there and I’m one that has a few options so in this specific instance, I’ll take the ‘free’ one. Idk if there are millions of people like me where Sony starts to make changes or if they are content with their current gameplan long term.

I kinda agree with your exclusives argument too. There is A LOT of really good stuff on Game Pass these days, and with the EA library included, that’s a bonus. But nothing on there holds a candle to the PS exclusives that I’ll buy full price in a heartbeat.

That said though, more stuff like PS+ Collection would be nice. It’s perfect for new gamers or people who missed a gen. My friend just got into PC gaming and he’s caught up on so much stuff between Game Pass and free Epic Games Store games.

@yoshi

Not a rerelease but you can get Tomba on the PS3 store for like $5. At least until June when they close the store.

• @dipset yeah don't have a ps3. They should just put ps1 games like that on the PS5 store

• Get ready for PS5 price raise, guys and girls! Sony sneakily added $40 to the price tag for both versions of PS5 in Russia. The currency conversion course hasn't changed since Sep 2020, so it's not like they are adjusting local price to match global price. They just raised global price.

To make things worse, Sony also cancelled previously placed pre-orders in their official store (including those that were made even before PS5 launch) because they "can't fulfill them". So those, who were waiting for months to get their console will not just have to pay more, they will have to return to the start of the waiting line.

• @ffff0

That's terrible and can cost a lot to Sony, just like the first years of PS3.

• Lost Dreamcast Castlevania game found and in a playable state
    Youtube Video

• Seems like most of the main press conference gang will be at E3 this year. I don't know what the heck Konami will be doing there though, maybe Contra Hard Corps 2 or something similarly weird.

• If its anything like 2020's GDC then it should be solid. I heard a lot of GDC was behind closed doors (aka they weren't recording Zoom meetings), but I think that helps add to the industry trade show nature of E3 if they do something similar. Devs can still meet with the press to passionately talk about their games.

I heard Capcom had an awesome Discord thing going on for MH Rise, pre-release so that's another example of how things like this can pan out well.

• @bam541

I don't know what to expect.

• @bam541 Didn't know Konami cared about games anymore-thought they were more interest in pachinko machines now?