That's News!

• @bigdude1
    Congested feels like the wrong word....."overly bloated like Henry the 8th"?

• I think they are after the money that games like CoD Mobile earns.

• @scotty I feel like there is only a few that get that success

• @bigdude1

Yeah, but they hope that. 😃

• @bam541 Normally, I wouldn't think much of that, but that news is coming at a bad time and seems to be piling further fuel onto the greed Sony persona we're seeing with all their other recent business decisions. I don't like wishing failure on entities, but I do hope something or someone snaps them out of this new direction they seem to be barreling down. Like come on, instead of chasing quick money, just play the long game. Everyone should be playing the long game by now. You keep customers by keeping them happy with a diverse portfolio and staying away from exploitative practices or mistreating the people making your games, so you can continue to have great games to release. Everyone is always acting like they're chasing money as though the world is going to end soon and when it does we'll all be judged on how much we have the moment it does.

• @mbun Totally agree. I will not deny the naivety of my line of thinking here, but I think that it's a waste of money to only focus on your biggest games in this market. Like, you should use the big wad of cash you got to take risks and diversify your portfolio like you said. Your big franchises are going to do just fine as long as you keep doing the bare minimum to maintain them. The luxury to "safely" take risks is not something to be taken for granted, I think. I'm sure Sony will do just fine since they have great big franchises, but it's just less exciting (and maybe short sighted) for me to only focus on them.

Also, I was thinking about Sony spending more money on marketing than any of the big three recently, and I hope Sony actually gets to do marketing right on all of their games this gen. There's many of their games in the PS4 era that didn't get enough marketing IMO. Gravity Rush 2 and Ni No Kuni II being booted off the main E3 conferences to pre or post show comes to mind, and also Concrete Genie, MediEvil remake, Dreams, etc.

• @bam541 said:

There's many of their games in the PS4 era that didn't get enough marketing IMO. Gravity Rush 2 and Ni No Kuni II being booted off the main E3 conferences to pre or post show comes to mind, and also Concrete Genie, MediEvil remake, Dreams, etc.

I'm convinced the Vita was a commercial failure in the west, largely because Sony straight up did not do marketing for it. The damn thing came out without commercials to announce it to the general public. You had to go read blogposts on their website or follow gaming magazines to even know about the Vita releasing at the time. There's most definitely a split timeline where the Vita was marketed properly and completely blew Nintendo out of the water and established a whole handheld Sony branch extending out from there instead of retreating from the arena. Sony really fucked up there. Such an excellent little machine that really didn't get a fair shot, except for Japan, where we saw it flourished so hard that people were still making games for it until hearing about Sony discontinuing store support for it.

• @mbun
    I remember a handful of TV ads for Vita when it launched, but they were late at night on Adult Swim, Spike TV, and Comedy Central, and by late I mean around 12am-4am when Stoners, Insomniacs and people who leave the TV on fir background noise would be most likely to see them

• @dmcmaster Where was that? Where I live there was nothing, actually nothing. I was looking for them too. That stuff you named is stuff I'd be watching as well. It was just void of anything. I think something like three months postconsole launch was when I saw the first actual television advertisement for it.

• @mbun I think the 3G model and proprietary memory cards didn’t help either. Both were just unnecessary risks that confused and angered people/me.

• Some insight on behind the scenes of Days Gone 2 and could have been from ex-game director Jeff Ross, and also insight of Sony's inner works in response to Schreier's article

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/director-confirms-days-gone-2-was-pitched-but-wont-verify-sony-rejection-report

• Potentially have a few hundreds of bucks burning a hole in your pocket?
    https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/04/first_4_figures_announces_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_champions_series

• @bam541

I just watched a live stream of Jeff Ross and David Jaffe today, here: https://youtu.be/okTMOJ1wnRw

Not sure who posted about Jaffe a few days ago but I discovered his channel and he has some good insight about the industry and the figureheads around Sony. Definitely learned a lot just listening to him for a bit.

Some highlights off the top of my head:

• Jeff says there isn’t really trouble in paradise at Sony / PlayStation like the speculation going on right now
    • Jeff and Jaffe don’t know Jim Ryan very well but they think he deserves a shot
    • Jeff says to this day, Sony is the best publisher because they are hands off and let the studios just cook up whatever they want
    • Jeff aware of Days Gone’s flaws, but also hoped it would be a foundation for more games
    • Days Gone sold very well but he doesn’t know figures (more than all their prior games combined)
    • Left Sony Bend because a lot of his autonomy and production duties were taken over by multiple staff members. No bad blood, but he preferred to wear many hats.

• I'm still mad about PS Vita. What a disastrous and reckless process that was!

• @hero

Sounds dangerous for the future.

• For anyone interested Evangelion has been killing it at the Japanese box office, and I can't wait for it and the future bluray release of the TV series over here in the west.
    https://www.siliconera.com/evangelion-3-01-0-grosses-7-4-billion-yen-after-35-days-in-japan/

• @dmcmaster lol I didn't even know it's already released there. So hyped for it, I really like 2.0 and 3.0 in particular.

• @bam541
    Still need to watch 3.0, I have it but for some reason I thought 4.0 would release sooner then it did.

Still what a wild ride announced in 2005, first film released in 07, 09, 2012 and finally 2021. Litterly been 14 years waiting for this quadrilogy of films

(Also 4.0 is the longest Eva film at 155 minutes, can probably add 10-15 minutes for the eventual home release)

• @dipset Oh damn you mean to tell me there actually wasn't any drama at Sony and that some people were making mountains out of molehills?
    No wayyyyyyyyyyyy.