That's News!

• I feel like they could do better than a dancing game though... Also, what are these going to be on? Vita? PS3? Q2 would have to be 3DS or Switch right?

• @Haru17 said in That's News!:

I feel like they could do better than a dancing game though...

I don't really get "do better, It's a genre. A rhythm game can be just as good as something like an RPG.

• @Sheria I mean the story could be almost as good as an RPG (but only if they remove Akechi). However, with a rhythm or fighting game you're always going to have the problem of writing the plot to necessitate all of these competitions every few minutes, which usually results in a lot of forced hostility among the characters.

Rhythm games specifically are literally just pressing buttons to music, so gameplay and level design-wise they could definitely do better. Like how about Persona 5: My Life as a Shadow where you design your own palace Animal Crossing-style and defend it from metaverse travelers? Or even just a Persona walking simulator after story thing where you get to just hang out with the characters and not have to worry about a schedule or combat — that's probably the part people care about most in Persona games.

• @Haru17 I do agree they could do other maybe more interesting stuff, but I've enjoyed all of them so I don't mind seen more of them.

As for platforms Q2 I would imagine it is the Etrian Odyssey team so probably 3DS again, and likely coming out relatively soon, the dancing game I would probably say PS4, I don't know if they would collaborate with the team that makes the Hatsune Miku games, but Sega already has that precedent, although I still see a fair amount of Vita releases for Japan so it could also be there.

• @bard91
    I'm telling you, PDAN2, PQ2, and P5A are going to be announced, and what the hell lets add P5 Platinum Gold, and Persona Warriors to the mix

Also apprently MGS5 is getting some kind of major update next month.

• @DMCMaster said in That's News!:

Also apprently MGS5 is getting some kind of major update next month.

Wat? Does it add anything? So late...

Edit: Nevermind, it's just multiplayer junk. You can play as Ocelot apparently, which might be cool for fans, but he's just another MP skin really.

• @DMCMaster what I really hope they announce on Wednesday is P3 and P4 on PS4, I've seen a lot of people wanting to jump into those but not having a way to play them and they should really capitalize on that, I guess the dream would be a remake of those but I'm keeping my expectations in check.

• Just let me play Persona 4 without a Vita. I can go back to PS3 for 3, but it just bugs me so much not being able to play the definitive version of 4 without buying a dead Gameboy or a Gameboy-branded Apple TV.

• well we didn't have to wait till Wednesday for the inevitable anime to be announced.

http://personacentral.com/persona-5-animation-announced-air-2018/

• Global Moderator

Last few days have been pretty slow for news. This is as good as it gets

Last, but not least, the press release includes the forecast for the current fiscal year – ending on March 31st, 2018 – for Sony Corporation as a whole and split by segment. Notably, Sony Interactive Entertainment predicts to ship 18 million units, which means that the company expects lifetime PS4 shipments to reach 78 million by the end of March.

I'm just interested where the PS4 sales will end up. Obviously a lot will depend on how long it's on sale for but I'd personally be very confident it'll be at least the 2nd best selling home console. Hitting Gameboy/DS/PS2 numbers would probably take some serious price cuts and significant headway into new markets.

• Al Pacino to play Fred Flintstone in new Live action Flintstones movie

Not really, but its bound to make someone chuckle

• Senran Kagura: Burst is getting a PS4 remake. Seems like it's gonna play a lot more like the Versus games than the original 3DS titles too.

• @DeweyDTruman As someone who started with Burst this is great news as Burst is, compared to later games, pretty rough now. How Yumi fits in there I dunno though, maybe they'll add a 3rd story arc for Gessen?
    I hope for a Deep Crimson remake too.

Also don't forget about the announcement of Senran Kagura 7even, PS4 exclusive (most probably will get a Steam release in the west eventually).

In other awesome japan news, .hack G.U. Last Recode will not only contain the trilogy but is getting a whole new 4th episode that continues the story. Japan release November 2017.

• BioWare Montreal is Now Part of Motive. Casey Hudson is Back!?

Posting this here because if I make a thread only one person will respond lol. Even though the merger is interesting I thought Casey Hudson returning to head Edmonton and Austin teams is even more of a surprise.

http://www.dualshockers.com/ea-merges-bioware-montreal-motive-studios/

• Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to 3DS this November!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/capkel/blog/2017/08/08/take-that-apollo-justice-is-coming-to-the-nintendo-3ds-eshop-this-november

Super stoked about this, it's the only one in the series I haven't played yet, and I'll now have the entire collection on my 3DS!

• Global Moderator

@Jigoku-no-Musou I love seeing stories like that. I think the guy would have been much better off if he'd just made his own IP and changed a few things but getting a job in the industry must be amazing for him!

• Global Moderator

Valve announce a new game!!.... it's a DOTA card game

I imagine a lot of the more traditional gamers are going to sigh at this like I have. The only thing I'm hoping is it's a sign that they're at least still developing games.

I will say that the crowd reaction is hilarious

Youtube Video

• @tokeeffe9 I think by now we should all have the hindsight to realize that no one really asks for these, but fantasy IP TCG spinoffs often turn out great. People freaked out and asked why we needed a WoW card game at its announcement and Hearthstone revolutionized TCGs. More people freaked out when The Elder Scrolls got one and it ended up taking the best elements of both Hearthstone and Magic and combining them into the most convenient skillful TCG.

That being said, Hearthstone was based off of a trilogy and the most influential MMO / vast money-sucking cult, Legends was based off of the most influential open world game series known for its deep lore. What can a developer that's not actually developing anymore (save for the odd DOTA hero) do with a mod and a MOBA? Does DOTA even have enough backstory to fill a set of 300 cards? Those games are just the same thing over and over again, often in the same exact map. That trailer was even more of a vague nothing than the Hearthstone and Legends announcements, so it certainly doesn't feel like they want anyone to care (except, perhaps, geologists and Marvel fans).

Regardless, we need Kyle to do a future news segment so we can get the skinny on the Lord of the Rings, Final Fantasy, and Game of Thrones card games before their 2023 release.

• Global Moderator

@Haru17 I'd say I've a pretty decent knowledge of the gaming industry but I've absolutely no idea about DOTA at all.

I'm sure the game could turn out to be great too, it was never meant for the people who are going to complain most about this. I do remember in an AMA that Gabe said they're developing 3 games. I'm more so curious about them than expecting what people crave.