Pyre (PC/PS4)

• Time to create a thread for a game maybe only three of us are excited about! We must spread the hype of Supergiant.

Bastion was great when it came out, it had such a novel idea of having a narrator. Add in some fun combat and a pretty interesting story and bam, you've got a classic. Their release after that, Transistor, still remains a very happy memory. Excellent tactical combat, an even more interesting story, and Darren Korb's finest soundtrack to date. So will Pyre be their best work?

I was never initially sold on the concept of mystical sportsball, but the more I see of the game, the more I'm digging the vibes. That art style is breath-taking, Darren Korb is back, and it looks like there is a lot of different choices/customization available, so perhaps this will have an insane amount of replay value.

Who else is picking this up? Day one purchase for me, I can't wait!

Youtube Video

• I still have no idea how the game actually plays and the idea of a tactical sports game isn't exactly appealing to me.

I get the feeling that this will be the weakest Supergiant game to date.

• I preordered this. Played it at PAX.

I hadn't seen the launch trailer, but it looks great! I know that mechanically the game is deeper than what I played, and am excited to see how far it progresses. The "sports" part felt like tactical NBA Jam. The traveling part felt like Oregon Trail or Banner Saga where you are forced to make decisions and then deal with the consequences.

I'm excited!

• @TokyoSlim It's such an odd blend that I'm hoping they've stumbled upon something wonderful. Tactical NBA Jam is a phrase not used often enough.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Pyre (PC/PS4):

@TokyoSlim It's such an odd blend that I'm hoping they've stumbled upon something wonderful. Tactical NBA Jam is a phrase not used often enough.

Yeah, it's weird. It's the best way I can think of to describe it. There's three player "types" per team that basically amount to Tank who moves slow but has high power. Rogue, who's speed and agility, but weak, and Balanced. They each have abilities and counters on each other. Positioning is important. Angles of attack are important. Timing of attacks is important. Each time there's a score, the scoring player is removed from the field for like 1 min. So there's also strategy there... like, it's basically a tactics game.

• Global Moderator

I'm going to hold off I think, just because I've so many other games to play and I'm not 100% on the concept yet. I just need to see a little more/hear some opinions.

I loved both of their previous games so I'm definitely intrigued by it.

• its a bit disappointing that you don't get the soundtrack on any of the PS4 options. you can get that only on PC. the soundtrack is like 50% of what makes their games really good if not more. I actually want to play it on PS4 but well it is going to be PC

• @tokeeffe9 Hopefully we've got some positive impressions to share on here later this week.

@fettouhi That's definitely a bummer but I know both the Bastion and Transistor soundtrack are on Spotify, so hopefully this follows suit.. then you would be able to listen to it on your PS4!

• I can't say I'm surprised multiplayer is in the game, but I didn't realize that was a thing until just now.

Youtube Video

video

Judging by that video the gameplay honestly looks very shallow. Something that would get old fast. Hopefully there is more to the game than just that.

• @suplextrain It shows less than 5 minutes of actual gameplay with an inexperienced player and only 3 characters, when over 20 are available. Plus, there's an entire campaign which the director even mentioned is the focal point of the experience.

@suplextrain It shows less than 5 minutes of actual gameplay with an inexperienced player and only 3 characters, when over 20 are available. Plus, there's an entire campaign which the director even mentioned is the focal point of the experience.

I mean that you get the gist of how the game will play.
    You have a 3v3 ball match where the goal is to take the ball to the opposing players score zone. Each character has 1 attack (a variation of a wave attack that cover can block), stamina and maybe some additional move option. That's the match.
    I think the reason why they haven't shown much gameplay in prior trailers is because there isn't much to show, that's all it is.

I could be wrong of course, but from what I've seen this doesn't look fun for more than one or two playsessions. So if that's all there is then this game is definately a pass for me.

• @suplextrain ... We literally have someone in the thread who has played it and has said there's more than meets the eye, haha. You've written the game off, we get it. There will be a few of us playing it in a few days so I'm sure we'll be posting our impressions here.

We literally have someone in the thread who has played it and has said there's more than meets the eye, haha

Yet no real details? I find it strange that so many(?) details about the game's gameplay are kept hidden. Shouldn't the strong gameplay be their selling point? I mean they haven't exactly advertised the game's selling point being the story either, so what exactly is the hook?

You've written the game off, we get it.

Not really, I simply don't think that it looks to be worth my time and money based on what I've seen and heard. I kept thinking "This can't be it, can it?" but so far it really does seem to be precisely what I thought. Would you consider yourself writing games off that you think wouldn't be for you after actually looking them over extensively?

It's not just this though, I generally get a bad feeling when the devs/publishers try to hide the gameplay in a game. What you actually do in a game. For example No Man's Sky was one such game.
    I don't think I'm being unreasonable or judgemental here. That I just write something off based on shallow reasons, like "Oh it's a game for kids? Pass". I think you've got the wrong idea and you're being a bit too defensive about the game.

If this isn't all there is to the game I seriously wonder why it is kept hidden (even so close to release) and what that additional gameplay is? So far the actual match gameplay doesn't seem like it will throw in more complex elements into the mix. Their marketing mas me spooked.

• @suplextrain You keep saying they've hidden things but a quick YouTube search of the words 'Pyre gameplay' shows tons of videos. The gameplay shown isn't just what happens in the matches themselves, but outside of them as well. The first result is a video from IGN published a year ago with 22 minutes of gameplay. The next is a 58 minute stream by Supergiant themselves published this May. The next result is the multiplayer video I posted already. The next is 27 minutes of TotalBiscuit playing the game. The next is 8 minutes from Pax East. The next is 52 minutes from the developers....

It keeps going like that for awhile. There's A LOT that has already been shown off, I've just simply shared the most recent trailers here. Details were provided by @TokyoSlim about what you do outside of the Rites and how strategic those Rites actually can be. Initial impressions of the game have been very positive from what I've read.

So when you say it has no depth and the developer is "hiding" things despite having hours upon hours of their game available online, yes, I'm going to say you wrote it off. If they didn't capture you with their aesthetic and premise, that's totally on the game. I'm sure they knew they were taking a bigger risk with this game because a lot of people just see a sports game and don't give it a second thought. When you were the first comment on this thread saying the game didn't appeal to you, I didn't respond because that's a perfectly valid opinion and it's hard to shake a vibe like that. Measuring a game's depth without playing it for yourself isn't an informed opinion and the claim that the developers are hiding gameplay is downright false, as I could easily flood this thread with videos of it.

You can't keep saying you don't know what the game is all about when you could easily find out. If it doesn't interest you, that's absolutely fine. I just don't see any value in continuing to say there's no depth when you refuse to research what you're speaking on. If you play it and have something to get off your chest, let's hear it. If you actually watch some of the gameplay and have concerns about the systems, let's hear it. But right now, you just keep saying you don't know much about it and you're blaming the developers for that. As our lovable Bosman would say, it ain't right.

So when you say it has no depth and the developer is "hiding" things despite having hours upon hours of their game available online, yes, I'm going to say you wrote it

I feel that this turned into a pointless argument and you're being overly defensive and aggressive, so I'm not sure this will lead anywhere.
    But I'll try and explain what it is I meant and then not bother replying anymore, since it seems to upset you too much.

Now we may have differing opinions on what depth and longevity is, but to me from all that I've seen (mind you, not just the stuff in this thread) the game seems very shallow and basic (for me). People like you kept saying how there's more to the game that adds more depth to the game, but I haven't seen or heard anything that would convince me of it. So if this is something they haven't shown I'm wondering why they "hid" it. If you're saying they didn't hide it then what exactly is missing from the equation?

I also don't like you accusing me of writing the game off when to me "writing something off" is something negative. It's something someone does without even giving something a chance. Something someone does almost immediately, like on the level of judging a book by its cover. Repeatedly telling me that I write it off is you basically accusing me of being a judgemental and shallow person (in my mind), even though you have no idea what material I have watched and to what lengths I have gone to try and understand the game. Then when I felt that I got a good enough understanding of the game I made the call that this wasn't for me.
    Maybe writing something off means something different to you, but to me it's honestly pretty insulting. Now I didn't really take offense by this since I have pretty thick skin, but I think you should maybe rein that accusation in a bit in the future.

When you were the first comment on this thread saying the game didn't appeal to you, I didn't respond because that's a perfectly valid opinion and it's hard to shake a vibe like that.

What's wrong with discussing the game with people that might not be as excited for the game as you? Do you only want to discuss games with people that share your enthusiasm? Is trying to spark a civil discussion with say a "Oh, so what is it that you didn't like about it? What were you hoping for? Etc". Maybe it's just me but I find both sides to be just as interesting in a discussion. I mean unless you believe everyone to be close-minded then said discussion could even change the other person's (or your) opinion on the game.

Measuring a game's depth without playing it for yourself isn't an informed opinion

Might sound cliché, but you don't always need to play something to judge it. If you have played something similar and have done enough research you can form a solid understanding of a game. Or are you telling me that every single time you decided not to buy a game you haven't played you "wrote it off"? That you didn't have an informed opinion on the game? Well, if you say so.

f it doesn't interest you, that's absolutely fine. I just don't see any value in continuing to say there's no depth when you refuse to research what you're speaking on

And awful lot of accusations despite you knowing absolutely nothing about me. You claim I have done no real attempts to try and understand the game and have done very little research? Maybe I worded myself in a wierd way, but I still think you're making way too many assumptions about me here for someone flinging a bunch of accusations my way. That's what is making me feel that you're too defensive about this game.

In any case, I don't really feel that we're on the same wavelength so any further attempts at discussion would most likely just turn ugly, so I'll leave you to your thread. Sorry for not gushing all over the game like you probably wanted. I don't mean this in a passive-aggressive manner either, just to make that extra clear.

• @suplextrain Oh, I'm not upset in the slightest. Some of the things you've said in this discussion are false though and even remotely suggesting it's a No Man's Sky situation may deter some people who are on the fence about it.

The reason I said you've done no research on the game is the very first thing you've said here - "I still have no idea how the game actually plays". It's already been determined hours of the game are available for you to watch, showing different facets of the experience. If you had watched these videos, you'd have an understanding of how the game plays. It's a very logical assumption based off of the details you've provided here.

The reason I wasn't going to initially respond to your first comment is in large part due to The Final Bosman episode on vibes. If you don't wanna look it up (it's great, I highly recommend it) he talks about how everything just has a certain vibe and if a person doesn't mix with that, there's not a lot that can be done about it. So me sitting here trying to sing the praises of the game when you've essentially said you don't dig its vibe is rather pointless. As I later mentioned in my most recent comment, if you don't like the game (after having experienced it in some fashion), then I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Let me give you an example of not adding value to the conversation. We have a WWE thread on these forums that is fairly popular. I know very little about the sport but if I wanted to, there's tons of videos I could watch and educate myself with. Now let's say I don't inform myself whatsoever, I go in that thread, and I start talking about how disappointing the most recent fight was. I don't know the names of the wrestlers, I don't know the name of the event, and I didn't even actually watch it. Does my disappointment in that thread add any value to their conversation? None, at all. Now let's say I decided to watch it after all, I learned a few of the wrestlers names, but I honestly thought that beginning fight of the match was extremely boring. I could share that experience as a newcomer and offer a fresh perspective.

It seems as though you read my remarks as condescending, which wasn't their intent so I apologize for that anyhow. I really do recommend checking out the plethora of gameplay videos available for Pyre, if you enjoyed Supergiant's other work, so you can potentially gain a better understanding of the game, or hell, maybe even play it sometime. I don't want you to feel like you're not welcome in this thread so maybe you can join us with your impressions if you do decide to ever take the plunge.

• Global Moderator

Let's try and focus more so on the game from here on out please.

• So I just got an email for the poll of this coming week's group stream and Kyle dropped this nugget in there -

"Pyre (local multiplayer) - Mini review spoiler: Huber says this game is pretty sweet."

Splatoon is definitely going to win that poll, but hey, at least Huber is enjoying the game and we can expect a review, soonish.

• Reviews are starting to roll in and most of them are positive, with this bad boy currently sitting at an 85 on Metacritic. From the snippets I've read, the core gameplay is actually its strongest element, whereas the story and pacing aren't always perfect - basically, it's a Supergiant game. Multiplayer is even getting praise since it's taking its best elements, the combat/matches, and making those front and center. It'd be interesting to play a few rounds with you all.

I'm a dumb person and made plans to go out into the real world tomorrow so I won't really get my fill, but hopefully Wednesday I can really sink my teeth in and see if my hype was worth it.