Uncharted:The Lost Legacy (PS4)

• I've been trying to decide all day whether I should I watch Huber's review or not, finally decided not to. It's just too close now, and I've already nicely forgotten much of the E3 stuff and the earlier trailers.

• Damn, this sounds good! Uncharted meets MGS5 (and Crysis). Stealth has a bigger role. One, bigger milieu as a UC4's Madagascar style area. Add to that the already-known Uncharted qualities and it all sounds really, really interesting.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-uncharted-the-lost-legacy-tech-analysis

• I'm surprised that I'm not feeling the urge to grab this day one.. Maybe I'm just not as invested as I was in the Drake storyline but I think I might wait a little while before picking this up.

That said, it still looks fantastic and I'm really looking forward to playing some more Uncharted!

• @El-Shmiablo said in Uncharted:The Lost Legacy (PS4, 22nd August):

I like the expanded environments. A nice change from the ultra linearity if the main games.
    I do have to chuckle that Uncharted has essentially come full circle and become Tomb Raider.

well i dont like uncharted but its definitely better than tomb raider games.

the tomb raider reboot and rise of tomb raider are some of the worst game i have ever played. atleast uncharted did shooting better. the platforming is one button and entire game is on rail cinematic with some crafting elements.

• @Black-Cell Meh. I enjoy the TR reboots. Fun little collectathon shooters, and I found the moment to moment gameplay was (at least compared to the first three) better than the Uncharted games.

I will say though that, after having played Horizon, TR better step it's bow game up for the next one.

• @El-Shmiablo
    So Lara should have Hawkeyes quiver?

• Got the game today already, yey. Mail was nice that way. Just finished the first side quest in the series, it was interesting. Not the best thing the game has offered, but it fit in its place pretty neatly anyway. It's great to see Chloe again, she looks good on PS4 now. And I had kinda missed her stories and the way she talks. For some time the game felt like an Uncharted lite - which is it, sure - but now that the women have started to talk more, and more meaningful things, the story has got a hold on me. And everything looks really pretty, as usual. :)

• As a huge Uncharted fan, especially UC4, I'm worried about what they mentioned in the in the EZA review in that there are a lot of puzzles.

The puzzles in Uncharted are very boring in my opinion. They are always visually wonderful, but annoyingly simple and require mundane tinkering such as picking objects up walking slowly with them to drop somewhere (for example).

I just don't know how much of that I can tolerate in a short game.

• I'm going to pass on this. Uncharted 4 was a very mediocre third person shooter, and I can't say I have much interest in a quick bit if DLC for it.

I watched an early preview from someone who has completed it and their reaction and opinion to a certain, more open chapter really shed light on how much this DLC fails.

• Just played about 90 or so minutes of it before having to call it a night. Maybe it's just from me being a bit exhausted from work last night (one of those days were you walk into a flaming building type deals) but it hasn't quite gotten it's hooks into me yet. I'll give some updated opinions tomorrow, but one thing I will say is that the typical Naughty Dog intro is done in a snap (by which I mean how quickly the game is able to introduce all the basic mechanics) something that TLOU2 hopefully takes a page from.

• Finished the game on Normal, took eight hours. A good game, I liked it! Kind of like a "normal" Uncharted squeezed into a tighter package. It didn't offer anything new really that much, but it hit those notes that I so love in the series really well: stunning forgotten temples, neat puzzles in both big and small scale and a thrilling end. The game got better all the way through it, which is always appreciated. It built up nicely in more than one way.

It was refreshing to see two women starring a UC game, Chloe and Nadine worked super well. Nadine's the tougher one to approach for sure and I may need a second playthrough to really appreciate all her angles, but Chloe's charm is immediate and it doesn't let go. And as a main character it was fitting that she had some more serious tones as well this time around in her story. And in any case, it's always just really fun to hear all those reactions the characters share with each others in these games while going through a jungle or some age-old tunnels. The dialogue, the banter and the sudden shouts for something interesting or dangerous.

This one, by the way, felt like it had the most history lessons I've witnessed in an Uncharted. Lots of conversions about the Indian mytology, Ganesh and all. I liked it, I feel like I actually learned some stuff while going through the adventure. Only a few times it felt like they were repeating themselves a bit too much, but really good work all in all in getting that stuff in there.

Found one easter egg, as Naughty Dog loves those in their games:

The magic skull / 8-ball from Left Behind. The one Ellie asked all those questions. You could actually shake it here in the treasure screen as well and see the answers change. :)

• So managed to finish the game yesterday, enjoyed the more open approach to the game, and hopefully it is something that carries over to TLOU2. Although I was a bit dissapointed that there was only really one side quest to do, although it was something I kinda expected. The writing as a whole feels kinda weak, but the performances by Claudia, Laura, and redacted helping the writing feel more in line with 1-4 (note planning a second play thru to better evaluate the writing). I do love the small call backs to Uncharted 2, especially the location featured in the last chapter. I am a bit dissapointed at how short the game is, taking about 7 hours, although again it was something I was also expecting, given its origin as DLC.

I will say the more open design present in Lost Legacy does give me a vision of what we could expect from TLOU2, although that's for another time.

• As I pre-ordered The Lost Legacy I also got free Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, one of my all-time favourites! Damn, this is still good! I love this world and how everything looks and works. Sentinel Beach hype! :)

• @Sentinel-Beach I was actually watching a comparison between the PS4 version and the PS3 remaster. From the small bit I watched, looked a nice bit better on PS4.

Youtube Video

On Lost Legacy, I only completed the 1st chapter but man, ND just blow me away with how good their games look. Hopefully I'll be able to put a lot more time into it tomorrow.

• Just realized this was the first time I had U4 anything on my 4K TV (living room) tried replaying a chapter last night on my bedroom TV to test out the different render modes (cell shaded looks pretty damn good FYI)

• I'm about half way through and so far far I'm loving it especially the open segment. I Didn't finish uncharted 4 got bored after about a 12 hours.

• Global Moderator

Do you recon you would need to have finished 4 before playing this or would the first 3 games be good enough?

• @Lotias It would work on its own, sure, but you'll get much more out of it if you've played UC4. The player's whole perspective on Nadine will be totally different depending if they've seen her before or not. And there are some other things tied to UC4 as well. Besides, four's a great game, why not play it first? Especially if you've gone through the first three anyway. :)

• I've completed up to Chapter 5 and I'm really enjoying it so far. It absolutely is more Uncharted and that's a good thing for me.

The weakest part of the standalone dlc so far is the story. The first few chapters don't really set up any major reasons to be invested in this story. It gives you little things and hints at why it's important but I don't know. I just wasn't feeling it. It's definitely significantly stepped up now with chapter 5 which felt like a mini uncharted game in itself.

Prior to that chapter you have the open area and I absolutely adored it. Looking at that map and being given free reign to do whatever you want just felt so good. I took my sweet time exploring that whole area and exploration feels so rewarding as there are so many little things to pick up. Now I will say it's cool that you get something for that and I like the item (without it being too spectacular) but the noise it makes is really grating.

Just to go on from the open area, the puzzles are great. Most are pretty easy but they're really satisfying to solve. Anything that has me moving or makes me use an item I have over just pressing on something, I'm all in on that. There is a simple one with bells but I really like that it's you using what you know. Just makes your brain go, oh ya, I could just use this. I like that.

Chloe is kinda what I want from Lara Croft really. It just feels like she actually knows what she is doing while Lara feels more like she stumbles into things. I like Chloe & Nadine, I think initially they're fine but now that they've spent more time together, they're conversations have been really good. It nice to see them fleshed out more.

Really though, it's amazing that we already have another Uncharted scale game. Sure it's shorter (although I'm already just under 5 hours playtime) but this is all new areas, characters, story... It just feels so fresh and that's amazing.

Now with how chapter 5 ended, can't wait to see where it goes now!

• Playing my second round now, collecting everything this time and so forth. Finished Chapter 4 tonight and it was really cool to notice that there were actually some minor changes in the dialogue this time around as I went through the places in different order. Great that it's been thought about. I even skipped the final destination totally this time (on my first playthrough I accidentally bumped into it first of all things, which was totally ok), and that was taken into consideration as well that it could happen. Oh Naughty Dog <3

And there's this certain fight after which Nadine told me about all the things that I should improve in my combat, plus that my red shirt really wasn't the greatest choice for a combat scenario. This time, however, I was much better at that fight and what do you know! Nadine praises me! Damn, this is cool. I didn't get hit pretty much at all and shot all the enemies behind the cover efficiently. This was again something totally new in an Uncharted game, that a character changes her dialogue depending on my playstyle.

And for the platinum trophy hunters there's this really cool easter egg kind of thing in Chapter 4. A certain location concerning Chloe. I propably would have kept missing it playthrough after another without looking up some trophy info.

Climb all the way to the top of the central tower and Chloe begins to yoga at the top of that high building. Really cool moment, the camera slowly spins around her and the tower zooming slowly in and out. Stunning views and that whole moment is just... wow. I love this game and the series so much because of touches like this.