The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2015!

• Global Moderator

@Sentinel-Beach You are treading on some mighty thin ice here! :D

• @Brannox either way, this is a battle where there is no real loser. They're both amazing games. I pretty much wanted to give them both my #1.

• @Sentinel-Beach That's funny, I did the exact opposite of you so we cancel each other out!

The Witcher 3 is great.. it just wasn't great enough to be on my list. I'm starting to worry my number 1 isn't going to make an appearance though, because all of you are monsters. Unless it shows up, then disregard that whole monster comment.

• @SabotageTheTruth

Psst.... come on... tell me the truth, is your number one Huniepop? I won't judge.

I would honestly love it if we were all surprised and there was a surprise number 1.

• @Inustar I.... have played Huniepop.

alt text

But nah, it didn't make my list. Better graphics than The Witcher though.

• @SabotageTheTruth I've played more shameful games than hunniepop. Don't look so downtrodden.

• @SabotageTheTruth yeah, I was truthful when I said I wouldn't judge. I totally played Huniepop as well. I might not have liked all of it, but I have a weak spot for those sorts of bejeweled clones.

• Huniepop ain't bad. I'm not gonna post my list or anything but I'll admit right now my #5 was just "I can't remember any other games I played from that year" and if I remembered huniepop it'd have probably taken that spot.

Well, Super Mario Maker would have (not sure how I forgot that one), but it'd be in that top ten somewhere anyway.

• This is now the Huniepop confessional threak.

• Batman: Arkham Knight

#10. Batman: Arkham Knight - 16 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Exist 2 Inspire)
    #2: 1 (ib0show)
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (Billy, Brannox)
    #5: 3 (Axel, Inustar, Hazz3r)

Information

Release date: June 23 [US/EU]
    Developer: Rocksteady Studios
    Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• If Arkham Knight would have worked on PC like it should have, this would have made into my list, but because it was buggy, pretty much unplayable shitshow on PC, I couldn't play this more than 1 hour, and refunded. And as far as I know, the PC version now is playable on some systems, but the damage was already done.
    "but why don't you just play on consoles?" because I don't have my own PS4 or Xbox One, and my friend who has PS4, doesn't care for batman. So there.

• Wait HuniePop was 2015? DAMMIT!

• Global Moderator

I really liked Arkham Knight. That game had some very cool moments going around the open world and in the main missions and for me has one of the best endings to a series I've seen (not the extra ending, but the end of the main story).

The only issue is it is bogged down by the emphasis of the batmobile. I remember being particularly disappointed that the deathstroke boss fight was just a batmobile boss fight.

Still, great game and great end to the Arkham series.

• @jipostus That must have been heartbreaking! It's truly a shame, since divorced from what I'm sure were major technical issues, Arkham Knight is pretty incredible.

That kind of thing makes me less intrepid about buying games Day 1... they seem to drop in price so quickly, and technical bugs will be ironed out over time (sometimes). I waited about 6 months before trying The Witcher 3, and I was told I was playing a much better version than the one at launch.

• Until Dawn - I really enjoyed this game, but only beat it the once. Cheesy horror has always been right up my alley. I don't believe it made my top 10 of the year though, its hard to remember what I put altogether.

Assassins Creed Syndicate - I bought it, but I've yet to start it.

Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition - A stunning game. After seeing the WRPG genre gradually get weaker and weaker as time went on, the likes of this and a number of others since really proved that there is some hope. It's not the Enhanced Edition I bought though, not even sure if it was 2015 actually.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - This was definitely in my top 5, I remember that much. I didn't send a list in this time though, so I guess it would have been a bit higher if I had. Cold Steel actually crept in for that year too because I imported it instead of waiting on the PAL version.

Yakuza 5 - Same as Syndicate, I just haven't started it yet. Sucks it was digital only.

Batman: Arkham Knight - I've played about 5 hours of it. It's ... ok I guess. Typical open world "issues" made me put it down though.

• Batman: Arkham Knight was a pretty good experience for me. I absolutely LOVED the scale of Gotham, and AK is the best looking, most inclusive (of villains) Batman game ever. However, it does have its issues.

While regular mode was fine once you figured out the controls, the tank mode for the Batmobile really irritated me. ESPECIALLY by the end game.

The Arkham Knight itself? While I'm not a big Batman fan and have only been one for only the last few years, the reveal didn't bother me as much as die-hard fans, but I too feel it was telegraphed and could have been something better.

Hiding the "True ending" behind having to beat the Riddler, which envolved finding EVERY trophy and solving EVERY riddle. And that ending not really being a concrete one is also bothersome.

With that being said I have to say the absolute best part of the game was every single instance

The Joker was present

particularly during the end sequence.

I'm happy to see it make the top 10 though, and a massive shout out to @Exist-2-Inspire, @ib0show, @Billy, @Axel, @Inustar, and @Hazz3r for it making your lists!

@Inustar I completely agree.

• @Billy I bought it day before it was pulled from Steam. And I refunded it pretty fast. To this day, it's the only time I had refunded a game on Steam.

• I came to Arkham Knight pretty late, and I definitely enjoyed it but not as much as the previous games in the series.

Like everyone else, I also felt it relied a bit too much on the Batmobile and while it had its moments, it just felt a bit too disconnected to the rest of the moveset.

Speaking of moveset, one of my main gripes lies with the many, too many moves and combos and gadgets that are thrown at you. In Asylum and City I pretty much mastered the combat and predator systems and I couldn't get enough of them. Everything was second nature and I felt extremely badass.

In Knight, there were just too many button combinations to remember and I felt constantly overwhelmed. I ended up just relying on the basics but kept feeling like I wasn't reaching the Batman's full potential. I went through some battles feeling cheap rather than dominating.

I understand they had to introduce new gameplay elements, as all sequels do, but in this instance it made the cooking pot overflow.

Even though I 100% all previous games, I couldn't bring myself to do it in this one, those Riddler trophies and that secret ending will forever remain beyond reach.

That being said, I'm very eager to see what Rocksteady brings us next, as these guys are masters of their craft.

• Splatoon

#9. Splatoon - 16 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Minamik, Yoshi)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (DeweyDTruman)
    #4: 1 (Bigdude1)
    #5: 1 (logic_error)

Information

Release date: May 29 [US/EU]
    Developer: Nintendo EAD
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Third-person shooter
    Platform(s): Wii U

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Kinda surprised Splatoon isn't higher, that game's somethin special.