The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2015!

• Splatoon had to be on my list, too jolly to not at least give it one point! Just a fun all around game and I really enjoy the aesthetic.

• Fallout 4

#8. Fallout 4 - 20 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 5 (bard91, Faaip, Exist 2 Inspire, Hazz3r, gwnner)
    #4: 1 (DisturbedSwan)
    #5: 3 (Billy, FF7Cloud, Sazime)

Information

Release date: November 10 [US/EU]
    Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
    Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Arkham Knight having a spot is surprising for the amount of hate it cultured for itself, but also not surprising because it sits right in a niche that so many people love. Interesting to see it on this list!

And OMG Fallout 4, hitting number 8 with no help from a #1 or #2 pick is hilarious. Nice to see it break into the top 10, but I wasn't expecting it at this point.

• I'm starting to think that none of my games made the list. Kind of makes sense though. Guess I'll have to wait and see. Tried to play Fallout but had too many glitches.

• @michemagius Every time a Bethesda RPG comes out, I think I'm the only person that doesn't experience horrible glitches. Except for Daggerfall. I went through 20 patches on a 14k modem, so maybe I've paid my dues.

• Fallout 4... there are some things that are great in it, but there are even more problems with it. Most notable for me was the HORRID UI for PC. Yes, there are mods that fixed that, but still, WTF Bethesda?

• The voting for Fallout 4 shows that all around, it was a decent to good game, an opinion held by quite a few, but not a GOTY worthy experience. I remember Bethesda's first presser and the big blowouts both DOOM and Fallout 4 got and how it ended with the quick turnaround of being released in six months.

From then on, my two closest friends would. Not. Stop. Hyping up and anticipating Fallout 4. And when it came out in November, they went dark and I didn't hear from them until January. They hold the same view that it was a good game but didn't grab them like Fallout 3, but the impact Fallout has is incredible.

Now we're starting to get into the heavy hitters! I don't believe my #2 game will make it, there's a minute chance my #3 game will and if it does, it will be the next reveal. One of the two games that didn't make my list also has an outside shot, but I'm not sure we'll see it because of what it contained, or rather what it didn't.

• Well, not surprised Splatoon wasn't higher since it was on the Wii U. It says a lot about how good that game was that it did so well on a system so many people didn't own.

Arkham Knight was my number 5 mostly cause I didn't play a ton of games in 2015, and I love the Arkham games. But it was nowhere as good as City or even Origins. But it was more of what I loved about the other games, comic references and fun fighting.

Fallout 4 is a game I kinda hated. Like I bought that when it came out and tried to like it, played it for like 10 hours, but it never felt good to me. I adored Fallout 3, and this one just was disappointing. Being from New England it was kinda fun to see Boston destroyed, but I didn't feel like I had much choice in what to do. Not to mention I didn't take to any of the characters except Valentine. The glitches and bugs also annoyed me, mostly cause having played 3 and Skyrim, I think I used up all my allowances for that crap.
    Luckily the BF loved the game and finished it, so I didn't waste money buying it.

• Man Arkham Knight played really well but it did not have a very great story and those robot vehicles were painfully boring. I'd give the game a solid 7/10 but I'm very surprised it was up this high.

As per Fallout 4 - they removed anything and everything charming about the series to me. I cannot see past the awful voice acting and being forced to role play as a guy with a very defined set of characteristics. It feels more like an adventure game with shooting. That's fine, but it is a wasted opportunity for role playing. I kinda thought mostly everybody had issues with this game so I'm kinda surprised that it's in the top 10.

• Xenoblade Chronicles X

#7. Xenoblade Chronicles X - 23 points

Votes

#1: 2 (MCMRJ, Bigdude1)
    #2: 1 (Yoshi)
    #3: 3 (Axel, FF7Cloud, Neo Cweeny)
    #4: 0
    #5: 0

Information

Release date: December 4 [US/EU]
    Developer: Monolith Soft
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): Wii U

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Okay, no way Mad Max made it into top 6. Damn. :( That was a great surprise of a game, loved the setting, driving in that car in that abandoned world exploring the small settlements here and there. Especially the dunes were great, and when you found your way under the sands... wow.

• @Sentinel-Beach I'm playing through Mad Max now. I'd enjoy it a lot more if it didn't feel like certain things were so broken. It's a solid 7, but there was no way it was making my top 5.

• Xenoblade Chronicles X is another game that's a Nintendo exclusive, so if I wanted to play it, I wouldn't be able to. That said, I love the concept of jumping into a huge mech and flying around in a massive world. I'm curious if the upcoming Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be just as praised (I haven't seen anything to the contrary). If it still holds its 2017 date, I'm also curious if it will make any headway into GOTY discussion. For best RPG, sure, but overall, it's difficult to tell.

• @Sentinel-Beach I didn't vote for Mad Max (haven't played it) but I know the sentiment. The game I put into my number 1 for this list is actually on the list for one of my favorites of all time. This community seems luke-warm on it at best, but I'll be here in the corner, spreading the gospel.

• The points are really starting to jump now!

@SabotageTheTruth I think those are the best GOTY picks really. When something that is overwhelmingly enjoyed makes the list, it is expected but usually deserved, but giving those personal gems a shot feels good, even better when they do make it in!

• Xenoblade Chronicles X was a weird one for me. I didn't play the first game on Wii so I had no expectations, but I also had no experience with its very unique brand of combat mechanics so I struggled a lot at first.

It felt like I was winning fights despite myself, never fully grasping what was going on, at least not fully. And to be honest, even by the end of the game, I'm pretty sure I still didn't understand the half of it.

I was also pretty turned off by the character design, that lack of detail on faces was jarring, especially for humans - some aliens had very cool designs, like these guys.

The story takes a while to get going, but is saved by its intriguing initial pitch.

What makes the game is its world, it's still to this day one of the most beautiful and engaging open worlds I've explored, and the soundtrack contributes a lot to that sense of awe when discovering a new region. It feels like a truly alien world full of mystery and history, and the side-quests actually contribute to your understanding of the environment. They are hit-and-miss, but some of them explore some interesting themes such as racism or what makes society work.

Once I got the Skells, I was back to square one, it was yet another set of gameplay systems to wrap my head around. Once it clicked though, and I managed to get a Skell for each of my party members, it felt like a whole new game and made exploration a whole other level of fun. It was both liberating and empowering and I enjoyed grinding levels through areas I didn't even dare to enter before.

The ending was great, although it somehow raised more questions than it answered and I doubt we'll ever get a proper resolution to the story, which is disappointing.

All in all, I had a lot of fun with the game, but I feel like it's almost too complex for its own good. It would be more enjoyable with half of its game mechanics removed and a tighter focus. Story-wise, I would have preferred a more personal tale, but it had a refreshing and original theme.

I'm now very curious about Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Switch. From what I've seen, its combat system looks every bit as complicated which is making me wary, and I'm again not sold at all on the character design. But if it offers another grandiose world I'll probably take the dive anyway.

• Life Is Strange

#6. Life Is Strange - 28 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Lotias, DisturbedSwan)
    #2: 2 (Axel, bard91)
    #3: 2 (Sentinel Beach, logic_error)
    #4: 1 (TokyoSlim)
    #5: 2 (Tearju Engi, WarpDogsVG)

Information

Release date: January 30 [US/EU]
    Developer: Dontnod Entertainment
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Graphic adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• im playing life is strange right now just finished episode 2

• Wow, that's some wide spread love!

• Never got around to play Life is Strange... I know I missed out on it, Hard, but perhaps one day.

Also, I just now realized, that none of my games have showed up, so I'm fairly certain that only 2 or 3 of them show up on this list. We'll see.