The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2015!

• @SabotageTheTruth Good for you, getting away from the negativity. It can be hard sometimes. I first heard of it from the Super Best Friends, and they loved it. They were able to talk about it without spoilers, and their individual reactions to it really got me excited to play it.

Hell, even for games not generally well received, haters can just suck it. It's ok not to like something, but some people are total killjoys.

• I've heard so much about Undertale that I just have to experience it on PS4 now eventually. (Though maybe not this year still, as the fall's pretty insane.)

• Global Moderator

I still haven't played underrate. Also told myself that if I haven't played any of the top 3 or top 4 games I should give them a try.

Guess Im playing Undertale this weekend haha

• As far as the toxic part of the Undertale fandom...

That incident happened because of someone not liking some fanart someone made for the series, it only happened a few months ago too. So I understand why some people shied away due to toxic parts of the fandom. The irony is that the negative fans' opinions are in such stark contrast to the values of Undertale that it makes me wonder if they played the same game as everyone else.

• The apparent horrible fanbase for Undertale is really of no consequence for me, as I'm usually not to involved with fanbases in the internet in general, similar to when I watched MLP, I liked the show but I never really engaged with what I hear is a very toxic fanbase as well.

Even with Persona, I tend to stay on the fringes of the fandom, and from there I can clearly see things that I'm perfectly fine keeping a distance from.

• I could write what I truly think about Undertale, but that would only cause drama, so let's just say I'm not a fan.

• Simply put, Undertale is great game, but has some of the worst fans.

• @Jigoku-no-Musou I must know now! I've only played a few minutes of it so far. Have yet to jump back into it. That was forever ago. But I hear why so many ppl like it but rarely if never have I heard what someone's issues with it are. Either way their just opinions and we should all be able to be civil about it. Up to you. But would like to hear.

• @jipostus I was gonna say something but that sums it up really.

• Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

#3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 43 points

Votes

#1: 3 (Axel, Hazz3r, ib0show)
    #2: 2 (Bigdude1, NeoCweeny)
    #3: 2 (GoTaco, Tragosaurus)
    #4: 7 (FF7Cloud, MCMRJ, tokeeffe9, Tearju Engi, ZyloWolfBane, jipostus, gwnner)
    #5: 0

Information

Release date: September 1 [US/EU]
    Developer: Kojima Productions
    Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure, stealth
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I dunno, but I'm kinda surprised this placed so high.
    I know, it's MGS and around here that's god tier, but it got so much crap behind the scenes and for the ending. I expected it in the top 10, but super surprised it made the top 3.

But then again...

alt text

• Booooo! An argument can be made that it has good qualities to it, but 3rd best game of 2015? Get outta here.

• @Axel Please tell me you're gonna post #1 and #2 at the same time, cause at this point we all know what the two are.

@CGamor7 you mean like D-Dog? Cause that made it my #6 game of the year, and my #1 dog companion game of all time.

• Global Moderator

MGSV is a very easy game to just see a lot of the negativity around due to what happened between Kojima and Konami, mission 51, not feeling like previous MGS games.

However I do think that takes away from what is an absolutely fantastic game and technical achievement (which is very sad since the engine feels so wasted). It is without doubt the best playing MGS game. It feels so smooth and responsive and that plays a huge part for me in how much I liked it. I heard the standard "It's too repetitive" complaint but I found the gameplay and missions to be so fun that I genuinely never got bored of them or repeating them.

You've so much freedom to tackle any area how you want to. Start from a certain spot, go during the day or night, take whatever equipment or companion. And then you've AI that adepts to your behaviour by using things like helmets or night vision google etc. Then you have the hook of trying to extract as much information and as many soldiers/prisoners/cargo to improve your base. It just has that hook.

The licensed soundtrack is amazing (I think the composed is decent too but I can see why it wasn't loved like previous ones) and I honestly think the story is decent. I understand it's very different from how story/cutscene heavy previous games are but it's very much there in the main missions and tapes.

I will absolutely agree that the game could do with another area to explore and I hated the credits before every mission (literally pre mission spoilers). I put so much time into this game though. Early on I thought this could turn into my favourite MGS game but then Act 2 came around and while it has a few of the best highs in the game, it also has the absolute lows and signs of an unfinished product.

One absolute major recommendation if you haven't played this game, turn off the slow motion feature if you're spotted. That makes the game way too easy while turning it off gives you a much greater challenge and adds a lot more tension to the situation.

• I feel that the points are gonna jump pretty high for the top 2 games next. Normally I'd say that Witcher would be #1 because it's on more platforms, but here we tend to have a pretty Sony concentrated crowd, so Bloodborne doesn't take a hit that way.

• Global Moderator

@Sentinel-Beach I'd actually expect Witcher 3 just going by how the Top 100 games went.

• If you ask me, MGSV is a flawed gem. It has many great elements, and has easily the best gameplay out of the series. But the whole thing between Kojima and Konami, missing story elements and unnecessary microtransactions definitely make the game not worthy of any GOTY mentions, if you ask me. But it easily deserves a notion on the list, because there is so much good here. If only for the indication that this type of game could work, if made right.

• @tokeeffe9 You've summed up most of my thoughts about this game. It was easily my GOTY that year, I also spent a lot of time on it and couldn't wait to get home every evening to play more of it.

And that's coming from someone who's not even a big MGS fan in the first place, I'd only played 1 and 2. Maybe that's why I liked it so much actually, I had less expectations and didn't compare it to previous entries.

As a stand-alone game it's a masterpiece of its genre in my opinion. The gameplay and controls and so refined and enjoyable, the presentation is top-notch, the story is uneven but had some very powerful moments, it treats with themes rarely touched on in games.

It really is tragic that Kojima wasn't allowed to finish his game the way he intended to, but even in its unfinished state it gave me memories I'll never forget and I'll surely go back to it one day to experience it all over again.

I was happily surprised to see it rank that high in the list, I didn't expect it, y'all have good taste!

• @Inustar Yes don't worry, I'll post Star Wars Battlefront and Rainbow Six Siege at the same time, the only question left is which one is #1 at this point.

• @Axel

alt text

hahaha! good one.

But seriously did no one play Rainbow Six Seige. Not that I'm usually a big multiplayer gamer but it was actually my favourite of that year "game play" wise.