The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2015!

• I'm happy to see Super Mario Maker make the list. I haven't purchased Nintendo hardware in over a decade, so obviously I haven't played it, but just on concept alone, SMM is GENIUS. Anyone create their own Mario levels in four or five different designs with a designer's menu? I'm amazed Nintendo didn't put it out sooner.

While the big N is crushing it with the Switch and Zelda plus Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey about to gang busters, and Metroid Prime 4 with mainline Pokemon in the works, all kinds of momentum is going their way and I would argue from a software standpoint, the current momentum, however slowly, started with this DIY Mario game.

• SOMA

#18. SOMA - 7 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (SabotageTheTruth)
    #3: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    #4: 0
    #5: 0

Information

Release date: September 22 [US/EU]
    Developer: Frictional Games
    Publisher: Frictional Games
    Genre: Survival horror
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Right on @tokeeffe9, I know you've also been preaching the wonders of SOMA along here with me.

People, despite it being unfairly labelled survival-horror, there's really not a lot of "surviving" to be done and it's light on the horror as well. If you want a sci-fi story that asks some engaging philosophical questions while building an oppressive atmosphere, SOMA is the best in the business. I'd also label it as having one of my favorite game endings as well.

• @SabotageTheTruth Light on horror? I was terrified through that entire game. But then being at the bottom of the ocean is just plain terrifying to me.
    Pretty great game though, especially the themes it brings up, just not one of my faves to play that year.

• @Inustar I dunno, under the ocean with robots doesn't really scare me much and my life is filled with existential dread so... SOMA felt like a nice walk around a park.

• Global Moderator

@SabotageTheTruth Worth preaching.

I don't really want to overhype SOMA because if you look at it's core, it's a very familiar game. It could be any first person horror game that's come out this generation, the gameplay isn't amazing. But for me, it does one of those things where I feel like it's only possible to do in games. What I mean by that is when you control a character in a game, it adds that extra layer of investment. It's easier for the player to feel more involved with the character.

It's pretty clear that things are not going well here and what initially seems like the central question/reveal of the game (What am I?) really doesn't matter at all. It's the far bigger themes and questions on existence that make it stand out to me. There are two moments in particular that really hit home in this game and it will always be a game I think of pretty regularly due to that. I can think of movies that have done something similar (and I love those movies too, don't want to say in case I spoil SOMA) but I fell like it's far more impactful here.

I'd say it's more intense than horror. It has it's moments but overall it's more of a feeling of eeriness than straight up scary.

• Damn, y'all are selling me hard on SOMA. I'll keep an eye out for a sale!

• I watched a play through of SOMA and it was fine. I think I got it through Humble Monthly, but I'll probably never play it. Between the type of game and the tropes it utilizes, I just couldn't find myself caring too much about it.

Super stoked about it's success, however. Fractional keeps surprising people with new things, and that's pretty rad. I am just not their target demographic. :)

• Global Moderator

@Sazime I think it's great that people are into watching let's plays of games but I personally feel that there is a huge difference between watching and playing something.

It's basically what I said about games being able to do things that other mediums can't. Watching a let's play essentially turns this game into a movie. It just won't have the same impact.

• @tokeeffe9 Yeah, there's plenty of stuff I'll watch simply because it's outside the genre of "play" I like, but the personalities can bring something to it that lets me enjoy the game for it's other parts. But someday, some day, I may get through the Souls games....

• While I do try to make my own game, I was never good with level editors in games and game makers, maybe it's the fact that it limits me to some extend, like Mario Maker obviously limits you to make Mario levels, I though want full control, create my own characters and everything. So yeah, these things are not for me.

• I don't remember SOMA very well beyond it being a first person survival horror title. As such I passed on it, so I must abstain for giving any thoughts about it. However, only two people voting for it is a little telling.

• Soma's been on my wishlist for a long time now.. one of these days I'll grab it!

• Mario Maker isn't really for me. I'd never make anything good or worthwhile in it, so I never bothered to pick it up, nice to see it here though. SOMA on the other hand I really enjoyed.

• Ori and the Blind Forest

#17. Ori and the Blind Forest - 7 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Brannox)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (michemagius)
    #5: 0

Information

Release date: March 11 [US/EU]
    Developer: Moon Studios
    Publisher: Microsoft Studios
    Genre: Platform-adventure, Metroidvania
    Platform(s): Xbox One, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I didn't buy Ori until the physical edition was finally released last year. It was an ok, but not very memorable game.

• Global Moderator

I feel like I need to play Ori! I got it recommended by my house mate and another friend. bought it on steam when it was on sale, just havent gotten around to actually play it yet, but I kinda have to now I think

• I didn't beat Ori, but I've got to say I found it dissapointing.

All of the appeal it had quickly diminished after a few hours and even the presentation lost its luster, to the point where I just didn't care anymoe.

• Ori would have been my number 6. It's gorgeous game, and highly recommend it to pretty much everyone, even though I know not everyone will appreciate it fully.

• As I posted earlier, I only played seven games that came out in 2015 (one of which I didn't get to until late last year) and Ori was the clear winner for me. I was captivated when I first saw the trailer during the Xbox conference at E3 2014, showcasing what turns out to be the beginning of the game.

Artistically speaking, not realistically and not stylistically, this is the most beautiful game I've ever played. The forest had such lush and spectacular environments and the story was sorrowful (Though it DID lose some of that impact a little at the end). My one big criticism for the game is while the game is challenging throughout, the difficulty spike for the end sequence seemed like an unnatural jump by just a little bit.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps was my biggest announcement from this past E3 (Which is saying something considering the likes of A Way Out, Anthem, Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, Beyond Good and Evil 2, and Horizon: Zero Dawn - The Frozen Wilds), so I'm excited to eventually go through this game again.

If you like Metroidvanias or you're a fan of the watercolor painting come to life artwork, I cannot recommend this game enough. Shoutout to @michemagius for also liking Ori to make their list!