The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2015!

• Thanks to everyone who participated, it was again a lot of fun for me to tally your votes and see the list shape up!

Here's my key highlights and takeaways:

• There were two clear winners, Bloodborne and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. They swapped places quite a few times as I received votes, but Witcher eventually took over and never looked back.
    • More people voted for Bloodborne than Witcher (18 vs 17) but Witcher got more GOTY votes (9 vs 4).
    • 2015's winner received less points than 2016's winner, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, with 71 points against 89. However, proportionally to the number of participants, Witcher had a better average than Uncharted (1.89 vs 1.75).
    • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain held a solid third place the entire time.
    • Two indie darlings in the Top 5, Undertale and Rocket League. I'm particularly surprised to see Undertale so high!
    • JRPG lovers had their say with Xenoblade Chronicles X, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC and Tales of Zestiria.
    • Yakuza 5 got 3 GOTY votes and... nothing else. That's more GOTY votes than any game outside the Top 4. You either love it or haven't played it!
    • In contrast, Fallout 4 is the only game in the Top 10 to have received zero GOTY vote. You either kinda like it or hate it.
    • 3 Wii U exclusives made the list (Super Mario Maker, Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles X).
    • 2 PS4 exclusives, Until Dawn and Bloodborne.
    • Zero Xbox One exclusive, unless you count Rise of the Tomb Raider which was a timed exclusive in 2015, and Ori and the Blind Forest which is a "console exclusive".
    • 1 PSP game, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC!
    • Big names that missed out: Heroes of the Storm, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, 6 points.
    • Call of Duty: Black Ops III, 4 points.
    • Star Wars Battlefront, 3 points.
    • Mortal Kombat X, 1 point.

I played 8 of these 20 games. SOMA, Undertale, Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 are now (or still) on my backlog.

I'll be happy to keep digging into the past with those lists, but the next in line is 2017's GOTY which promises to be a bloodbath of epic proportions!

• @Axel said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2015!:

the next in line is 2017's GOTY which promises to be a bloodbath of epic proportions!

Yakuza 0 GOTY

• @Jigoku-no-Musou
    Damn, I forgot Devastation was a 2015 game. Same with Tales from the Borderlands, and I guess I forgot about Super Mario Maker period.

Dunno which I'd pick for a #5 slot (My top 4 were all pretty in-stone) but if I could go back I'd choose any of them over Hotline Miami 2. I thought it was cool but the only reason it got a top five slot at all was becuase I struggled to remember anything after the first four barnstormers.

• This was my top 5.

1. Splatoon
    2. Corpse Party: Blood Drive
    3. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
    4. Resident Evil Revelations 2
    5. Bloodborne

At least 2 of them made it, although Bloodborne was a bit of a given.

• @Axel said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2015!:

I'll be happy to keep digging into the past with those lists, but the next in line is 2017's GOTY which promises to be a bloodbath of epic proportions!

Really happy to hear that!
    ...but GOTY '17 will be like at the end of January or something? 5-6 months away. We'd have the whole autumn time to have other Best of... votings. Just saying. :) I'd be super into them.

• @parasitepaladin OH MY GOSH! I can't believe I forgot about J-Stars!!!

• Top 3 looking goooood! MGS V was my favourite for that year. Best stealth gamer ever made.

• We definitely need to be able to submit more than 5 entries for 2017 when it comes around. Crunching my list down to just 5 for this year is close to impossible.

• @michemagius How could you! Very upsetting. I was hoping the under ten people that played it would actually remember it ;p

• @SabotageTheTruth BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. Also, with the amount of people that submit their lists, I feel that six is too much.

• @parasitepaladin Depends on the year, honestly. I know a few said they had trouble coming up with 5 entries in 2015, but 2017 has like 18,000 GOTYs it feels like.

• @Minamik Oh man, Corpse Party, that one doesn't come up a lot, but I have heard of it before. I think SBFP did a one off on it.

• @Sentinel-Beach Haha yeah but I don't want to do it too often or it won't feel so special anymore. I figured one "retro" list halfway through the year would be nice so I did this 2015 edition, but I'm afraid if I do it too often there will be less and less people participating.

As for the amount of votes for the 2017 edition, we've had some discussion about it in the nomination thread and opinions vary, I'm thinking of expanding it by giving the opportunity to name a couple extra games as "honorable mentions", that would also earn 1 point. It's going to be agonizing either way, we're only halfway through the year and I'm already struggling to narrow it down to 5 or pick a GOTY.

• I have played far more games this year than I did in 2015, that's for sure.

• @TokyoSlim I JUST beat Mad Max and am now starting Pillars of Eternity. I'm waaaay behind.

• @Sazime By the end of this month, I'll have played 10 games released in 2017.
    That's a pretty full year for me. I think I played like 5 "new" games all of last year.

• Global Moderator

The only game that didn't make the Top 20 that was on my list was Downwell. I'd seen it mentioned a bunch of times and Mark Brown did a fantastic video on why it's great. I finahlly bought it on Vita last year and I was absolutely hooked by it. Like all great arcade games, you start off just trying to survive and wonder how people do so well. But as you keep playing, keep improving and understanding the mechanics, it just shows the depth in it. If you've any job that has a short commute, this is the perfect game to just have a few quick rounds. It'd be perfect for the Switch too as it's already perfect for Vita.

• Global Moderator

Oh and just something on a few games I really like from 2015 but realistically wouldn't make the top 5, maybe not even a top 10 for me.

OlliOlli 2 - Another primarily Vita game that I adored. Absolutely played the crap out of it back in 2015 and recently went back to get the platinum. For those that don't know, it's a 2D skatboard game that's pretty unforgiving but like Downwell, it's perfect for a few quick rounds to try and improve.

Her Story - Essentially an interactive movie/game and a really interesting one at that. I like the idea more than the thing itself as you're really just focused on watching new clips rather than progressing in any meaningful way.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - A wonderful narrative driven game with fantastic soundtrack. A lot of people will be put off by how slow and vague it is but I found the stories in it to be told in a really beautiful way.

• @tokeeffe9 If I'm not mistaken Her Story was my fifth place, as you mention I think that the idea is great, and it makes for a really unique experience, and it is something that shouldn't be glanced over.

• SO, here's my top 5 of 2015:

1. Witcher III
    2. Axiom Verge
    3. Rocket League
    4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    5. Broforce

I can understand that Broforce wasn't on the list, but Axiom Verge... Oh well, I still find this list to be really solid all around.