The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2015!

• I have very fond memories of Until Dawn, played it "coop" with my girlfriend on Christmas Eve, random thing to do but we had a blast! Picked 3 characters each and made decisions for them. Screwed up pretty badly overall, I think only 3 characters survived - the ones we didn't like!

I thought the story was pretty good overall, a good mix of classic horror tropes mixed with some original ideas. If turned into a movie, it would probably be in the top tier of the genre.

I still need to watch that pajama party!

• Until Dawn is not my kind of game, and it was the Pajama Party that gave me my first real exposure to the game. However, shortly afterward, it proceeded to gain traction in coverage and praise. I may be wrong, but I THINK Until Dawn is considered the first great true PS4 exclusive outside of the launch window. Either way, it hit an unknown need for the market and because of this, the Inpatient announced during Sony's E3 pre-show seems like an intriguing concept that probably wouldn't have as much interest as it currently does.

• @Brannox said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2015!:

I may be wrong, but I THINK Until Dawn is considered the first great true PS4 exclusive outside of the launch window

Bloodborne not great enough? (5 months before Until Dawn)

• @Brannox Not the first great exclusive but certainly the first one that I remember being surprised by. Never had any doubt that Bloodborne was gonna be great, but a weird horror game with the cheerleader from Heroes? That was surprising.

• Let's not forget everyone... Rami Malek is in Until Dawn. The dude won an Emmy for his amazing performance in Mr. Robot... and will be playing Freddie Mercury in the upcoming movie about Queen.

• Until Dawn is the ultimate 1-2 sitting game to play with your friends. You don't need to do multiple plays like people often do. Just do one and make emotional decisions. What I liked most was the lighting and the presentation in general was great, but I did find the audio to sound quite poor and overly loud (not the music though).

• Obviously, I really enjoyed Until Dawn. There is more to that game than people give it credit for, there are a lot of little details that add to a specific characters motivations and reveal how they were failed by the people around them. I know the relatively linear story makes a lot of people feel like it isn't worth a second play through but you just need to look at it as an interactive horror film and think of repeat plays like repeat viewings and try to look for details you missed the first time. I think it is fascinating to see how little choices effect the dialogue and how some of the choices you need to make, to get the optimal endings, are extremely counterintuitive. I like watching other people play to see what choices they ultimately make. Also, throughout the entire development of the game, they wrote 10,000 pages of script, so I can forgive them for not having huge amounts of branching paths and alternate endings.

The GT Until Dawn pajama party was one of the first GT streams that really sucked me in and after watching it I convinced some friends to do a similar co-op play through (We'd done the same thing with Heavy Rain too) so that helped keep it in my top 5 for the year!

• @SabotageTheTruth Haha yes! I started watching Mr Robot only a few weeks after playing Until Dawn and was like "I know this guy! Where do I know him from??" His character was great in the game too.

• Global Moderator

I need to play until dawn it seems haha! even though it doesn't fully seem like my cup of tea I keep hearing good things about it and it was free on PS+ ..so yeah haha

• @Lotias Well for free it doesn't hurt to check it out 😀

• Until Dawn was one of those games that floated around the top 5 for me.

At a quick glance it's a fun cheesy horror game but I think, for that type of game, it's actually pretty smart in it's writing. It's a blast to play by yourself or with friends and I found myself replaying different parts to get all the totems(?) and see how things affected the characters.

• @TokyoSlim Like I said, I felt I was wrong. But that goes to show, 2013-2016 wasn't the best in terms of pumping out exclusives for the console (And personally speaking, and personally ONLY, nah. Bloodborne is what it is and not for me, but for all the fervor Until Dawn had, Bloodborne has 10 times that).

• @Brannox well you used qualifiers in your original statement like "outside launch window" which disqualifies a few pretty good games depending on your definition of launch window. (I assumed all of 2014)

There were good exclusives to play in year one.

• @TokyoSlim I count launch window as the first 12 months of a system so Nov. 2013 - Nov. 2014. Bloodborne was March of 2015, so the haze of quality in that initial period is still there. Outside of all the examples given, I still see 2016 as starting the more consistent output of high quality exclusives starting with the Witness in January. Looking back through 2014 and 2015, most of the highlights (again, sans Bloodborne, Until Dawn) were multiplatform.

Sure, games like Infamous: Second Son, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Driveclub, and the Order 1886 are all exclusive, but are they high tier? I don't think so, and CERTAINLY not on Bloodborne or Until Dawn's level. I:SS and K:SF are alright but not anything to write home about as the phrase goes, Driveclub was broken in its Multiplayer, and... well... The Order is the Order. From my perspective, Resogun is THE best PS4 exclusive at launch and carried that distinction until Bloodborne. But that's just my skew. If there are games only on PS4 during that first 12-13 months you really enjoy, sweet!

So, to help clarify, at the time of my original post on Until Dawn, I was not thinking about Bloodborne in 2015, and Resogun was the only top exclusive for the PS4 available to play. Thus: (Again, like 18 hours ago) I thought Until Dawn was the first big exclusive hit SINCE that launch (Resogun), but you astutely reminded me of Bloodborne.

• I never played Until Dawn but I watched both playthroughs by Rob Dyke and his friend Justin on Zombie Horse, which was most probably more entertaining for me than playing the game by myself could ever be. Sadly during the 3rd playthrough were he tried to

get everyone killed

he putted the channel on hiatus, again. This is a game I would get for 10 bucks just to finish what Rob started, lol.

• @Brannox You aren't wrong. Resogun was the best until BB from what I recall

• I would say that elevating Until Dawn to Bloodborne tier is a bit of an overstatement. It's a nice game and it was a surprise that nobody expected, but it's not head and shoulders undoubtedly greater than stuff like Infamous First Son + First Light IMO.

Also, Driveclub remains to this day, a much better game than people give it credit for. A lot of the negative opinion about it stem from Sony's PS+ edition blunder. The game itself has been good. It had launch server problems. BATTLEFIELD4 was broken for like 2 months. Driveclub got squared away much faster. Sony botched the messaging and didn't properly explain the details/situation or release the promised "free" PS+ version fast enough for some folks. It produced a lot of salt.

• I love Resogun so will use any opportunity to mention how great it is!

• @TokyoSlim I agree in terms of personal preference, but not from public reception. Agreed on how Blooborne is over Until Dawn, but in terms of people talking about a game, taking to it, etc., I would and do say Until Dawn is close (but not greater than) Bloodborne.

Also, I really like your Battlefield 4 example. I also remember several other games being broken at the time of the console launch, but outside of Driveclub, I think of many of those as multiplatform games like BF4 and Assassin's Creed: Unity. It's not a coincidence this was at the generation's start.

To Driveclub, I agree that it currently is a much, MUCH better product than at launch, but my point resides at the time of release, not as of today July 31, 2017. Because of this, it will always have that stain, regardless of its current state.

• Assassin's Creed Syndicate

#14. Assassin's Creed Syndicate - 9 points

Votes

#1: 1 (gwnner)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (Lotias)
    #4: 0
    #5: 1 (Sentinel Beach)

Information

Release date: October 23 [US/EU]
    Developer: Ubisoft Quebec
    Publisher: Ubisoft