Genres you no longer love

• Hey Allies after playing with Mario Kart switch & Wipeout Ps4, two games I was looking forward too. Earlier versions dominating my childhood. After playing both for several hours I realized I wasn't enjoying either game & and my gaming habits had changed.
    Is there any other games/genres you previously loved your no longer into

• I've only ever increased my gaming interests as time has gone on and I've introduced myself to new things. If I loved a genre (or game for that matter) once, I'll always love it. I honestly can't see it any other way.

• Open world games I guess, those change the gameplay so much that they're not really the same genre. I loved The Wind Waker, Oblivion, and Skyrim, but all the new ones coming out just feel worse. Less unique, fewer dungeons, repetitive to explore (itself an oxymoron), copied and pasted, budget constraints visible in the game world. I guess the combat is trending better though :/

• @Haru17 I'm actually loving playing with open world games at the minute as I resisted playing them for years until the Witcher 3 came out as I was a bit old school & narrow minded. I can understand why someone would be get burnt out if you've been playing them for years

• @FutureCorpse That's not it at all. I was on Gamecube and Wii most of my life + a few cherry picked Xbox 360 games. There weren't that many open world games on those systems, lol.

I just don't like all of these series retrofitting themselves onto a realistic, mostly flat map. That's a core gameplay change and the only series that has treated it as such was Zelda, creating an entirely different game as a result (MGS might have also, IDK, but that game wasn't finished so...). If these series would get over the open world bubble they could make more condensed games with longer plots and less re-used content, but OW sells so they don't.

• I get what you mean. I was critiquing myself not anyone else if it came across that was I apoligise.

• While I wouldn't go far and say love, I guess racing fits into this category. The only racing game I have any time for is a few quick rounds of Mario Kart, but way back when I would invest many hours into Gran Turismo and Burnout. Now? I have more invested interests elsewhere and racing as a whole just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

• Racing games
    Sports games
    Fighting games
    First person dungeon crawlers
    Point & click adventure games

i used to play them a ton when I was younger, but now I barely touch them.

• Fighting games

I used to love playing them in arcade and with friends when I was much younger, but with everything being online and with everything people see on EVO, twitch, etc nobody just plays the game anymore, it's all about copying whatever they see the "Pros" doing.

And then when you mix in all the ragequitters so you get no credit for your win (Some games fixed this, but not all) it's just not fun to deal with anymore.

And then RTS games, I LOVED playing Starcraft Brood war, Age Of Empires, etc in the 90s/early 2000s but developers have made them so damn complicated you're fighting the game's controls more than you are the other player, not to mention they're typically resource heavy on even the best PCs.

So I've since stopped checking them out, and most people have abandoned RTS games for MOBAs anyway.

• CRPGs

The Baldur's Gate series is up there with Metroid Prime as my favourite games of all time, and I've been sooooo tempted by titles like Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera and the like. But I don't play on PC anymore and the console versions have failed to draw me in yet. I want to play and love those games, I just can't bring myself to play them anymore, mostly because they're so time-consuming.

Pillars comes out on PS4 next month so maybe, just maybe... But with Uncharted, Yakuza Kiwami and Mario + Rabbids all coming out at the same time, I already know it's not gonna happen.

• open world games. i dont love them but i used to tolerate them. now everytime i see the open world in game. my interest lost quickly.

• Global Moderator

I guess MOBAs in a way. I remember back in the day where I played the warcraft 3 mod a lot and enjoyed having the minions and so on, but over the past couple years I havent even been able to watch tournaments without feeling bored. I have tried LOL and DOTA but none of them appeals to me... at all, I just cant stand them

• @Axel said in Genres you no longer love:

CRPGs

The Baldur's Gate series is up there with Metroid Prime as my favourite games of all time, and I've been sooooo tempted by titles like Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera and the like. But I don't play on PC anymore and the console versions have failed to draw me in yet. I want to play and love those games, I just can't bring myself to play them anymore, mostly because they're so time-consuming.

Pillars comes out on PS4 next month so maybe, just maybe... But with Uncharted, Yakuza Kiwami and Mario + Rabbids all coming out at the same time, I already know it's not gonna happen.

I guess I understand your hesitation to start or play such a game these days. Due to different life situations, and access to more games than I used to, I too tend to bump certain genres down the priority ladder in order to play other stuff. I don't tend to ever fire up a fighting game or RTS any more for example. That said, I don't technically like the genres any less than I used to, and it sort of sounds like your the same.

• FPS. I don’t mind the first person part but FP-Shooter just from the gameplay standpoint bores the hell out of me. If you can reduce it to placing the centre of the screen over the head of the enemies, then I am out. An interesting story or nice set pieces can help and luckily most FPS last only for 5 hours or so.

• Generally speaking my gaming horizons have only broadened. But I guess I at one point enjoyed 2d platformers, and no longer do. I just prefer the sense of exploration provided by 3d platformers. Although the Kirby games will always hold a special place in my heart.

• Sports, my favorite sports games were NFL2k5 and NCAA Football series, well no longer exist and the franchise/career modes in the likes of Madden and Fifa leave a lot to be desired.

• Jrpgs.

Though I'm working against this. I don't want to dislike these, but I've found that I don't have the patience and the time for this type of game anymore. When I was younger I played pretty much ONLY Jrpgs, now it's super rare.
    I played Persona 5 and loved it, but I still haven't finished it... but I will. I hope. It's just super long, and apparently I get distracted easily.

• Baseball games, which is a real bummer since that used to be a big bonding point for me and my brothers. Guess it doesn't matter as much since we don't live together anymore, though.

• Man, this thread is depressing.

Like anything in life, we go through phases, but I honestly don't think I'd ever be able to completely rule out a single genre, even if my tastes have changed. I hadn't played a fighting game for several years until Injustice 2 came out and I loved what it had to offer, for example. I can understand time being a constraint as a lot of us are much more busy than back when we were kids, but to completely axe every game in a genre without blinking feels bad.

#allgenresmatter

• Gangsta rap

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.