Persona3 Dancing Moon Night and Persona5 Dancing Star Night announced

• alt text

Two separate games, both coming to Vita and PS4, "Spring 2018"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNl9P8FmEp0
    Youtube Video

• "Sorry Morganna, can't go to sleep - have to dance star night!"

• That's amazing news. I loved Dancing all Night.

• HELL TO THE YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! I am so beyond pumped. Any more Persona 3 content is good content in my book.

• It hurts a little to see it is for both Vita and PS4, I was hoping I would only be buying one game and now I'm gonna have to buy 4.

• Was Dancing All Night's story... ever... good?

In any case, it's cool to see such belated fanservice. Can't see myself getting either of these for $60 though.

• @Haru17 well, it wasn't horrible ....

It's clear that Persona is my favorite franchise and while I'm ok with these spin offs, because Atlus can't just make lightning strike every three years, and these help pay the bills. The spin offs have been as you described essentially fanservice of good quality that don't hold a candle to the quality of the mainline, but they have all been fun and give us more of our beloved characters.

I do have a certain tolerance for how much they can milk stuff, but so long as there's quality in these I'll keep supporting them and letting them take their time with the mainline.

The first figthing game story was actually pretty ok, but the presentation and pacing was abysmal.

• @Haru17 said in Persona3 Dancing Moon Night and Persona5 Dancing Star Night announced:

Was Dancing All Night's story... ever... good?

Not really, but to be fair, it doesn't actually need one. While it's not usual to compare, as different genres aim for different things, to view them just as a videogames, Dancing all Night was as good and high quality as any of their RPGs.

Thinking about it, they might be doing themselves a favour by stripping the story all together. I just can't help but see it as adding an unnecessary area for itself to be criticised. Just pick a song, and off you go, like Project Diva.

• @Sheria I actually think I would be ok with that, just make it all non canon, and leave in some of the banter, or skits between characters focused around something clearly not serious, specially with the 3 one, where they are bringing back Minato, and all the characters seem to be young so it may be before P4, and that would also allow for the One True Best Girl to appear with no need for an explanation.

• @Sheria said in Persona3 Dancing Moon Night and Persona5 Dancing Star Night announced:

Not really, but to be fair, it doesn't actually need [a story].

As long as we're thinking existentially here, Persona fans also don't need to buy any of these games literally at all. I think you're missing the point of these JRPG spinoffs / direct sequels if you don't think there needs to be a story, 'story' being an all-encompassing term that includes setting, characters, plot, and backstory.

• @Haru17 said in Persona3 Dancing Moon Night and Persona5 Dancing Star Night announced:

@Sheria said in Persona3 Dancing Moon Night and Persona5 Dancing Star Night announced:

Not really, but to be fair, it doesn't actually need [a story].

As long as we're thinking existentially here, Persona fans also don't need to buy any of these games literally at all. I think you're missing the point of these JRPG spinoffs / direct sequels if you don't think there needs to be a story, 'story' being an all-encompassing term that includes setting, characters, plot, and backstory.

I don't really understand what you mean. The only point I see needed here is to create fun rhythm games aimed at fans of the Persona soundtracks. Depending on the genre of the spinoff, sometimes I'd expect a story, sometimes I wouldn't, examples being the likes of Chocobo Racing or Theatrhythm.

• Stoked. Persona 3 has my favorite OST from the series, Persona 5 is a close second.

• Too much milking for my taste. These should've been 1 game (not sure how saturing the market with 2 Persona dancing games at the same time is helping them either). Hopefully they don't spend like 5 years or more on just milking Persona 5.

• Yeah, I get that two separate releases is a bit much if they're being simultaneously developed by the same studio. $120 for both of these games seems laughable. They'll probably be on sale for $40 for both within a year of launch.

• By the way, I forgot to mention Persona Q 2 was announced for 3DS with only this, which is admittedly cool:

alt text

• A reminder that I should get P4 Dancing all night. Stoked for all three of these announcements! PS vita would be perfect for Persona Q2 so I hope they come around to that

• @suplextrain
    I don't know why but I feel like both games will be sold in a $60 bundle in the US.
    Granted that's assuming they get released at the same time. For all we know P3 could release in say March, with P5 in May

• I sincerely hope that when the Pokemon franchise inevitably announces its next two releases that are only slightly different from each other, we have a discussion on this forum about how Nintendo is over-pricing their product and trying to take all the cash they can from their consumers.

At least these dancing games have different characters, a different story (if following in the vein of P4: Dancing All Night and it includes a story), and different music. We also truly don't know the scope of these games. If it has the same amount of content that P4: Dancing All Night had or something comparable, then I'm fine paying full price. I obviously wouldn't mind some sort of bundle, but I don't expect it or think the company is trying to milk away my hard earned money if they don't release it as a bundle.

• I realize their combat systems share similarities, but I expect a lot more from Persona than I do Pokemon. Pokemon is not a bar you should be aiming for. The difference here is that, unlike Pokemon games which share the same creatures, characters, animations, and worlds; Star and Moon will have two different settings, two different sets of characters, two different OSTs with unique styles, and two different sets of animations. You can just ignore the version differences in Pokemon, but If Atlus are internally developing these two games in the same genre simultaneously, they are going to cut into each other's development resources.

• So these are like Project Diva games, but with story?
    I think while they are at it they should bring Dancing all Night to the PS4 as well.