Cross Roads: PC/Console transition

• Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some advice from you all. I'm at a bit of a cross roads and depending on the path I take will probably dictate my gaming habits moving forward. I currently play games on my PS4. However, for the last several months I've been really contemplating upgrading my card and starting to transition more to PC. There's many reasons for this which I'm sure many if you could already understand so no need to heavily point those out.

what I'm curious to know since many of you including myself are already familiar with the pros and cons of PC's and console is more about what your experience is like transitioning from console to PC or from PC to console? The reason I ask this, is because I'm hoping to see what kinds of experience you've had to see how I would relate to it. When I read a review I typyically look for commonality of what ppl are saying and if that's something that resonates with me or not.

Did you move over to PC from console? Was it amazing? What was it that made amazing? Did you stay? Or did you end up using your console again? Why?

Did you switch from PC to console? What made you do this? Hows your experience with gaming on console now?

I look forward to seeing what you all have to say. Thanks!

• Global Moderator

This is a topic I see pop up now and then on different games forums. For me it really comes down to the games and what I am comfortable playing with.

I have been swinging a bit forth and back. I play MMOs on PC and the odd shooter, but I play most other things on console, I guess I like the simplicity of it all. Also I dont really have any good place to cram in a PC in my small room without a proper desk. I know a lot of people say that you can play with a controller on PC and so on, but even that feels... different from controller on a console and I just prefer playing games on my consoles.

For you to find your way I guess I would look forward, see what games are coming out, what are you interested in and what would you think you would enjoy the most to play them on? Are trophys/achievements something that are important to you? what are the communities on the platforms like if you play online?

This post got a lot longer than I first intended, but all in all: see what type of games you enjoy and what platform you think you would enjoy to play them the most on? also maybe see other software and its importance, voice communications etc etc

• I started gaming on Amiga, yet I moved to consoles after that (NES, SNES, PS, PS2, WII, PS3, WII-U), though after PS2, I started slowly my turning in to PC gaming, and Wii-U remains the newest console I have bought.

As I play mainly games on PC these days, I also do this mainly because currently I don't have any consoles in my apartment... (my PS3 is at my mom's place so she has a DVD/Blu-Ray player, also, she does play Tekken every once in a while. And my younger brother borrowed my Wii-U (which I got to replace my Wii, as it broke down)

While I do enjoy the PC gaming scene and controls and so worth, I see nothing wrong in choosing console over PC. The main thing for me is to be able to enjoy games. For me, PC gives me the largest library of great games that are easily available, and ability to mod majority of those games to be either better overall, more fun, or make it bit different etc.

• @CGamor7 said in Cross Roads: PC/Console transition:

Did you move over to PC from console? Was it amazing? What was it that made amazing? Did you stay? Or did you end up using your console again? Why?

I've genarally played on console but occasionally upgraded my PC if there was some PC exclusive game I really wanted to play.
    But as of now I pretty much only play on console since there isn't really any point (at least for me) to invest in better hardware. Also I really don't like several aspects of Windows 10 (like how MS collects data which you can't prevent them from collecting since they can just change their IPs).

Consoles are far more convenient to use for gaming and even titles that used to be PC only stuff are being released on console (for example Pillars of Eternity, Shadow Tactics and so on). Even (arguably) the best MMO on the market FF14 is on PS4 and you can play it with M&K.

I just don't feel that investing time and money to game on PC is worth it. Especially when the few notable PC exclusives are mostly low system req titles.

• I don't switch, I only add, I don't see the sense in abandoning 1 way to play games for another when you could just use both (or more).

• I have always been a console gamer, and when I started working a couple of years ago I bought a top of line gaming laptop so that I could play any game on PC I wanted, which I was not able to do before, and it is still working for me.

I'm usually browsing something on my PC or listening to something on it, while playing some games, so becuase of that I tend to gravitate more to playing on consoles still, and playing on PC exclusively for strategy games or things not available on consoles.

The fact that my consoles are already set up with my TV and that I don't like having to switch out of games to look at something in my laptop are also key factors for me still play more on consoles. And yes I know that this are issues that have simple answers and I could very well accomodate my PC setup to be as simple as a console one, but this works perfectly fine for me, and the small inconveniences don't warrant changing my setup, so for now I'm content having the ability to play on PC but relying mostly on consoles.

• I always keep both, so I can't be much help here. There's simply too many games that are either exclusive to console that I want to play (Like Persona 5) and too many ports that go to PC that just aren't very good (Like many from Capcom or Koei).

And then with PC you have games that always play/run better on PC like Witcher 3, and genres that simply don't exist or have a very VERY small presence on console like RTS or MMOs.

That pretty much drove my decision making ever since I got my first console and eventually my first PC as a child, the distinction hasn't changed all that much over the last couple of decades.

I grew up with Atari consoles, I had every retro console growing up, but when I got to High school a lot of people I knew were into Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo, Age Of Empires, Unreal tournament, etc. So not long after that I talked my folks into getting me a PC (Cause it would also help with my school work) so I could join in with everyone else.

That PC eventually died around the era of PS2 and I didn't buy another PC until my Coworkers at my first job were talking about World Of Warcraft (Who eventually bought me the game and paid my sub for a few months so I'd play) but since then I've always made an effort to keep and maintain a moderately decent gaming PC along side my consoles.

I use my PC for work, and I really don't have many hobbies outside gaming so it's quite easy to justify the expense.

• @Lotias Yeah... its a topic you see every few months it seems lol. I guess its just my turn. Trophies mean nothing to me and community I dont think is much of an issue. there seems to be plenty of ppl for anything im interested in multiplayer wise.

@jipostus I think ive hit a point where I would like to see some better performance and graphics in the AAA games i play. Kinda what started all this i think... Thought on getting a 4K TV which is something thats going to happen eventually here and maybe.. possibly.. upgrade to a PRO. Been entertaining the idea too.

@suplextrain Yeah, dont care for MS shady back door deals... But I dont mind using windows 10. But I get it. Yeah i do think consoles do have that extra sense of convenience which after a long day makes it so much easier to get into.

@Jigoku-no-Musou I would still keep my PS4. Its more of a question of if i spend the money on a card, i would like to transition most my gaming to PC and exclusives on PS4.

@bard91 Yeah i thought using steam link to play on my tv might be a solution to that.

@ZyloWolfBane So do you play much on PC then? Or just to the AAA titles that you know will look and perform great?

• @CGamor7 said in Cross Roads: PC/Console transition:

@Lotias Yeah... its a topic you see every few months it seems lol. I guess its just my turn. Trophies mean nothing to me and community I dont think is much of an issue. there seems to be plenty of ppl for anything im interested in multiplayer wise.

@jipostus I think ive hit a point where I would like to see some better performance and graphics in the AAA games i play. Kinda what started all this i think... Thought on getting a 4K TV which is something thats going to happen eventually here and maybe.. possibly.. upgrade to a PRO. Been entertaining the idea too.

@suplextrain Yeah, dont care for MS shady back door deals... But I dont mind using windows 10. But I get it. Yeah i do think consoles do have that extra sense of convenience which after a long day makes it so much easier to get into.

@Jigoku-no-Musou I would still keep my PS4. Its more of a question of if i spend the money on a card, i would like to transition most my gaming to PC and exclusives on PS4.

@bard91 Yeah i thought using steam link to play on my tv might be a solution to that.

@ZyloWolfBane So do you play much on PC then? Or just to the AAA titles that you know will look and perform great?

Well, like right at this moment I'm weathering the summer drought of releases on both PC and Console by playing WoW. But in the next few weeks I'm gonna be entirely on console.

Sonic Mania, Yakuza Kiwami, Destiny 2 (PC version comes out a month after, and most of my friends are on PS4), etc

Too many variables lol. But I mostly go where the exclusives are. If it requires a new console or PC upgrade, then so be it.