Who are your top 5 best and worst video games Protagonist?

• Global Moderator

@TokyoSlim I do see what you mean and I kinda agree with you. On the other side though at least I played with them 100% of the time I could, so for that I would class them as protagonists, even though they might not be that to its word full meaning.

• @Lotias I'm not sure what you mean. Protagonist means "main character or primary playable character."

Zidane, for example, is the protagonist of FFIX. The game is telling Zidane's story. You are controlling Zidane. Commander Shepard is the protagonist of Mass Effect. There's not a lot of room for interpretation except maaaaaybe in the case of Heavy Rain (which is a spoiler)

case of playable antagonist via unreliable narrator

• Best (in no particular order)

Kazuma Kiryu - Yakuza series
    Maya Amano - Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
    Ramza Beoulve - Final Fantasy Tactics
    Trevor Philips - GTA5
    Alucard - Casltevania: Symphony of the Night

Worst (in no particular order)

Link - any of the Zelda games
    Mario - any of the Mario games
    Master Chief - any of the Halo games
    Tidus - Final Fantasy X
    Noctis - Final Fantasy XV

Just a few observations from the other lists:

I don't understand the hate for Trevor from GTA. The series is known for having you take control of a character that does some out right insane and evil things, yet the narrative never matches that. Trevor gives you a reason to do those awful things and he takes pleasure in it. He's a huge dirtbag and it's glorious.

When trying to think of the "worst", most of the biggest names in gaming come straight to mind. Link feels like the worst because he's been in so many games and is always virtually the same. Mario is just happy but has the personality of white paint. Even Donkey Kong has a bit more going on for him and he can't even speak!

Sorry @Lotias, I gotta agree with @TokyoSlim, your list is mostly just characters, not protagonists. :P Although I'm in the minority here, I actually think Hope was one of the few characters that had a real change in FFXIII. He went from whining constantly (albeit it was about his mother dying) to finding his inner strength and taking challenges head on. Plus, he was just an awesome ravager so there's that.

• @SabotageTheTruth My hate for the GTA5 cast goes well along with me starting to dislike the franchise after 4, in previous games I never felt a sense of seriousness, or maybe you could say I thought there was a campiness to it that allowed me to take the games for what they were. Starting with 4 I felt a tone shift and that campiness was gone, suddenly I was playing a game that while not completely serious it didn't have the same atmosphere that allowed me to take things lightly, and I couldn't just put brush off the abhorrent characters and the things they did any more, to the point were all of my interest in playing the game went away and I just hard quitted it.

• @bard91 Again, that's why I like Trevor - because he takes a very serious story and adds some silliness to it. Although that torture scene... whew.

• @SabotageTheTruth to me that was in no way silliness just general fuckedupness

• @bard91 Guess my dark sense of humor just gravitates towards that sort of shtuff.

Surprised no one has mentioned the protagonist in Persona 5. Some might say he's cool, others might say he's too cool.

• @SabotageTheTruth Because he's not the worst offender among silent protagonists, but he's a silent protagonist and therefore unremarkable.

• @Haru17 Oh, I know. I was just poking the bear of a certain ally that stopped playing due to him.

• @Sheria It's nice to see some love for Victoria McPherson. I prefer her to Kate Walker. I felt that Kate Walker was a bit too much of a damsel in distress at times, while Victoria was really badass and could fend off any attacker.

• Best, no order

Geralt of rivia
    Nathan drake
    Goro majima
    Solid Snake
    Big Boss

Worst
    Every single silent protagonist ever

• Best: No particular order

1. Estelle Bright
    2. Ramza Beoulve
    3. Big Boss
    4. Dart Feld
    5. Shulk

Worst:
    1.Kite (.hack//)

1. Titus
    2. Main Character from Star Ocean 5. he was so bad i forgot his name
    3. Punsihed Snake
    4. Mario love the games but mario as a character hasnt changed since 15 years before i was born.

• BEST

• Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
    • Faith (Mirror's Edge)
    • Chun Li (Street Fighter)
    • Nariko (Heavenly Sword)
    • Chell (Portal)

Chell may not have much of a character but the story in the Portal series makes her an excellent character.

WORST

• Agent 47 (Hitman)
    • Artyom (Metro)
    • Max Payne (Max Payne)
    • Doom Guy (DOOM)
    • Lo Wang