KYB: Kill Your Top Stories

• My mind was already out of these KYB's but then this one appeared out of thin air. I saw games nominated there that I liked so decided to think about something absurd -> troll with 24. I don't know how I remembered that. But my statement was still true! Really liked the series back then and it was a nice surprise that the game acted as Season 2.5 and closed up some plot points.

• @bard91 then you misunderstand. Yakuza wasn't my baby, nor is it what I wanted to win, my ire was solely based on your weak sauce excuse for killing it.

• alt text

WTF! It's over already? I feel like I'm walking into a bloodbath. I still haven't had time to read through all the comments. Is it me or were you ppl more savage than usual? Lol. Maybe it was the long wait from the last list... anyways here's your poll. Vote away.

Silent Hill 2

OR

To The Moon

http://www.strawpoll.me/13831579

Voting will go until September 1st 8:00pm Pacific time

In case of tie I'll cast the final vote.

• @TokyoSlim there are always weak reasons, so it seems a bit odd that you were so vindictive in this particular case, but sure

• @bard91 Petty? Yes. Vindictive? The very word implies that I felt you wronged me in some way. I have no vindictiveness twords either you or any of these video games. I just like to find creative reasons to kill games and you provided me with an avenue and an excuse to do that. I did tell you that the more you tried to excuse your kill, the worse it was.

:p

• @Sheria that's actually a really good way of putting it. I don't like the game very much and the story isn't all that deep. But it focuses on the relationship between the two characters which is good and was probably the goal of the writers but like you said it's not enough and I can agree with that.

• And of course I missed the entire thing because of work. Dang. Still, feels good to watch the bloodbath again.

• @DeweyDTruman I'll put the next list up later in the day or this weekend. Probably a good idea to mix it up a bit so different time zones get a chance . This one moved really fast. It was done within 3 hours I think.

• @TokyoSlim said in KYB: Kill Your Top Stories:

@Oscillator if you looked at the original list and had only played MM and a licensed "24" game, i really feel bad for you. :(

I haven't even played the 24 game - I only said I was familar with it, as in I once watched part of a collection of cutscenes. Compared to the show, I wasn't impressed (hence why I only watched part of it).

Don't feel sorry for me, it's merely a matter of taste.

@michemagius - Why do people praise Twilight Princess' story? It's full of tropes, the personalities of the characters are less interesting than MM's, it's got tons of padding, the pacing is uneven, and one of the key parts, the explanation of the Fused Shadows, is rushed and confusing. All it's got going for it is length and Midna.

• Sure the forum slowed down a bit with these threads gone, but at least everybody hated each other a little less.

• @Oscillator said in KYB: Kill Your Top Stories:

Don't feel sorry for me, it's merely a matter of taste.

Your list tells me nothing about your taste though - like why exactly have you never played The Witcher or New Vegas or RDR when OBLIVION is your 4th favorite game of all time?

All those games are in various ways comparable to Oblivion. Most people, when they enjoy something - seek out like things and also enjoy those things.

From your own description:

Big. Open. Lush. Beautiful. A living world that you can truly lose yourself in. Along with deep systems and guilds, intense dungeons, a stunning soundtrack, and new discoveries always just over the next hill, Oblivion is an adventure seemingly without end.:shield:

One might think you were fond of big, open, lush, beautiful living worlds etc... that you can lose yourself in...

Not trying to troll or anything - but legit curious.

• @parasitepaladin I think it's likely that we just hated each other the same amount silently.

(L&R)

• @parasitepaladin While I never disliked anyone for taking games I love off lists, I did have a legitimate disagreement once or twice. And now that you mention it, I never realized that these lists were the most active aspects of the forums at the time. Huh.

• @parasitepaladin @Brannox I sure stopped being in here actively when the lists stopped. But I would hope that it's all in good fun and nobody gets to worked up. But I do see how the lists can be tiresome when your favourites get killed all the time for the dumbest reasons. But that's kinda the point.

• @CGamor7 Agreed! Again, it's how I was able to better understand everyone's tastes. In terms of engagement, I log in every day to see if there's a thread that appeals to me. Granted, there hasn't been as many as there once was, but when there is, it's a good time!

• Good morning everyone! Can't wait to get started on this new KYB... oh :(

• @Axel lmao, you can still vote at least... that's something right?

Your list tells me nothing about your taste though - like why exactly have you never played The Witcher or New Vegas or RDR when OBLIVION is your 4th favorite game of all time?

Subject matter and gameplay scope. The Elder Scrolls is absolute classic fantasy. The Witcher is too at its base, but is also much more narrative heavy, with edgier, more modern-style situations. And TES puts freedom first, while The Witcher is more focused. The inclusion of SimCity 2000 should tell you which way I lean. As for Fallout, I just don't like the idea of a TES-style game with guns and mutants. And RDR looks to have that nasty GTA edge - in-your-face violence with depressing and/or psychotic characters. Though I might be interested in RDR 2 if the world ends up being as deep and inviting as the trailer suggests.

One might think you were fond of big, open, lush, beautiful living worlds etc... that you can lose yourself in...

Not trying to troll or anything - but legit curious.

Yes, I like such worlds. Obviously. What's your point?

Due a lack of funds as well as other interests, I don't play a lot of games, focusing just on my absolute must plays, which are usually lengthy games from established franchises. Here are all the major new releases I've purchased since 2010:

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
    Skyrim
    Skyward Sword
    Halo 4
    Pikmin 3
    Wind Waker HD
    Mario Kart 8
    Alien Isolation
    Halo: The Master Chief Collection
    Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
    Dirt Rally
    Breath of the Wild

And coming this year: Rocket League, Cuphead, Planet Coaster, STRAFE. That's an average of exactly 2 brand new games per year (the usual backlog and retro is also present).

• @Oscillator said in KYB: Kill Your Top Stories:

The Witcher is too at its base, but is also much more narrative heavy, with edgier, more modern-style situations. And TES puts freedom first, while The Witcher is more focused.

I don't think I agree, and I've played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim between 80-300 hours in each. I don't think that TW3 is a particularly "focused" game at all and compares very similarly to the latter two TES games. It's hard to call a game I spent 300 hours playing cards, horse racing, exploring magical pocket universes, and killing endangered monsters in "narratively focused". It's basically just third person Skyrim with better NPC dialogue, a bigger more diverse open world, and better textures. It's even got janky combat like TES games!

Yes, I like such worlds. Obviously. What's your point?

My point is that you like things that many of these games are about. Saying you're not interested in them is weird and anachronistic to me. You say things like "I focus on absolute must plays which are usually lengthy games from established franchises" and I'm like "Yeah, but The Witcher 3 is more 'exactly that' than Rocket League, Cuphead, Planet Coaster, or Strafe" I just don't get it. shrug

@Oscillator said in KYB: Kill Your Top Stories:

The Witcher is too at its base, but is also much more narrative heavy, with edgier, more modern-style situations. And TES puts freedom first, while The Witcher is more focused.

I don't think I agree, and I've played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim between 80-300 hours in each. I don't think that TW3 is a particularly "focused" game at all and compares very similarly to the latter two TES games. It's hard to call a game I spent 300 hours playing cards, horse racing, exploring magical pocket universes, and killing endangered monsters in "narratively focused". It's basically just third person Skyrim with better NPC dialogue, a bigger more diverse open world, and better textures. It's even got janky combat like TES games!

I've seen plenty of Witcher 3 footage, and it doesn't look like it plays like The Elder Scrolls at all. TES is a genre unto itself. You're given absolute freedom. After the tutorial there is zero push towards the main quest. Go literally anywhere, do literally anything. But it's more than that. You can mold your character in any way. Blade, blunt, light armour, heavy armour, archer, mutliple types of mage. Insane quantites of locations, items, spells, and lore books. It's the definition of sandbox.

Breath of the Wild is the same way. The variety and quantities aren't nearly TES caliber, but everything else about it shares the same style of freedom - play EXACTLY how you want, sky's the limit.

The Witcher looks far more character/story focused, and more limited gameplay wise. You can't move anything everywhere. Your tool set is smaller. Less lore. But the biggest reason I'm not interested is the tone. It has a modern, TV-esque storytelling style. The characters and situations look like they could've been ripped from any mainstream historical/fantasy drama. I don't like it for the same reason I don't like Fallout - it's not pure, classic, book-style fantasy.

My point is that you like things that many of these games are about. Saying you're not interested in them is weird and anachronistic to me. You say things like "I focus on absolute must plays which are usually lengthy games from established franchises" and I'm like "Yeah, but The Witcher 3 is more 'exactly that' than Rocket League, Cuphead, Planet Coaster, or Strafe" I just don't get it. shrug

Art style and gameplay are more important to me than genre. Oblivion and BotW are open and flexible, so are SimCity 2000 and Planet Coaster. I don't like sidescrollers, but Cuphead has way more effort put into the art than most. Most fighting games turn me off, but Soul Calibur's simplified controls and focus on weapons hits the sweet spot. I love Banjo-Kazooie and Rayman 2, but the relative blandness of most Super Mario games leaves me cold.