Should I pick Kiwami or waith for a price drop on O?

• Hello Allies!

I've been dying to dive into the Yakuza series for a long time now! I live in Brazil and, as some of you might know, games around here are very expensive. Since the release of 0 I've been monitoring any price drops, but the sales weren't very attractive. Turns out that Kiwami has just released and it costs half the price of 0, but I've been hesitant to grab it since many players said that I would enjoy it way more by playing it after finishing 0.

So what do you guys think? Would I have a "lesser" experience with the game by jumping in right now? Should I wait for an actual price drop on 0?

Thank you so much - L&R

• @Victor-Hugo-Capelini Honestly, I'd wait for 0 to be at a reasonable price or when you can afford it. I'm only like 15 hours into Kiwami but there's already been so many moments that I felt a lot of impact with that probably would have been lost had I not played 0. Seeing a character that you did a side mission with in 0 become somewhat integral to the story of Kiwami just feels good.

• As a newcomer to Yakuza, I cannot imagine playing 1 without 0. You'd be really missing out on a lot. Just wait for a price drop, it'll likely be very soon

• Considering 1 is where a lot of us naturally started the series in the first place, I don't see any issue picking that up first. As with a lot of prequels, I find that the order the games were written is more important than the chronological order. The writers know that people are aware of events that are to occur, and they almost always play into that.

• @Sheria In this case though, it's not exactly like Kiwami was 100% written before Zero. Like 80% of it was. But is that 20% worth playing Zero for first? I think it is. Zero is intentionally a re-entry point into the series for newcomers. Starting with Kiwami isn't the end of the world, but I think creators intent is that Zero is kind of a soft-reboot of the franchise, esp. in the west.

• @TokyoSlim said in Should I pick Kiwami or waith for a price drop on O?:

@Sheria In this case though, it's not exactly like Kiwami was 100% written before Zero. Like 80% of it was. But is that 20% worth playing Zero for first? I think it is. Zero is intentionally a re-entry point into the series for newcomers. Starting with Kiwami isn't the end of the world, but I think creators intent is that Zero is kind of a soft-reboot of the franchise, esp. in the west.

I must admit, I cant honestly say as I haven't played this remake, but I still stand with what I said if you claim its about 80%. If Zero was honestly intended as a soft reboot though, then F this series; completely unnecessary.

• @Sheria said in Should I pick Kiwami or waith for a price drop on O?:

If Zero was honestly intended as a soft reboot though, then F this series; completely unnecessary.

I think it's very necessary. It had no presence in the West. Zero is designed to provide an entry point into the series. It has worked very well. Well enough that we will now be getting remakes of at least the first 2 games in the West, a physical release of the latest game early next year, and possibly more.

Without the success of zero, none of that is happening for sure. Rebooting the series in the West is a great thing, imo. Getting new markets interested keeps them making games.

• Being only about six hours into Kiwami, the events of Zero have been referenced about a dozen times already in dialogue. Just in case anyone's wondering. Late game may calm down some, but so far, I've seen quite a bit of new content.

@Sheria said in Should I pick Kiwami or waith for a price drop on O?:

If Zero was honestly intended as a soft reboot though, then F this series; completely unnecessary.

I think it's very necessary. It had no presence in the West. Zero is designed to provide an entry point into the series. It has worked very well. Well enough that we will now be getting remakes of at least the first 2 games in the West, a physical release of the latest game early next year, and possibly more.

Without the success of zero, none of that is happening for sure. Rebooting the series in the West is a great thing, imo. Getting new markets interested keeps them making games.

If people couldn't gain interest in the series on the PS2 (which was a highly successful system) then I don't really care about them. They even went to extra trouble by dubbing the original, which showed they tried even more than now.

The series has always had a cult following. I still feel it's sad they had to soft boot this in order to try and bring in some newbies. Rebooting something will always have an effect on the integrity of an ongoing narrative, so I'm honestly disappointed if they have altered Kiwami in consideration of Zero.

• @Sheria they didn't alter Kiwami, they added to Y1 to make Kiwami. Kiwami is a remake. Kiwami 2 is also a remake. They will add things to Y2 to make Kiwami 2 as well.

@Sheria they didn't alter Kiwami, they added to Y1 to make Kiwami. Kiwami is a remake. Kiwami 2 is also a remake.

Same goes.

• @Sheria your opinion is weird to me, but whatever. I'd rather get Yakuza games in the West than not.

• Global Moderator

I agree with @TokyoSlim

I do think calling Zero or Kiwami a soft reboot is a little off. From my understanding, Zero adds some context and foreshadowing to other entries in the series and Kiwami is still very much the OG Yakuza with some additional content/story.

I feel like complaining about this is similar to complaining that the dog jumps through a different window in REmake.

• @tokeeffe9 said in Should I pick Kiwami or waith for a price drop on O?:

I do think calling Zero or Kiwami a soft reboot is a little off. From my understanding, Zero adds some context and foreshadowing to other entries in the series and Kiwami is still very much the OG Yakuza with some additional content/story.

I feel like complaining about this is similar to complaining that the dog jumps through a different window in REmake

If the difference is seriously that insignificant, then I go back to suggesting starting with Kiwami.

• I meant a soft reboot as in remaking the first several games for people who've never played them before.

Kiwami is not Y1, it's a remake of Y1 with improved graphics, better combat, additional story elements and sidequests. It's like an extended special edition dvd or whatever. The story clearly starts with Yakuza 0, and continues in Yakuza Kiwami. I think most of the people who are buying it are people who didn't play Y1 on PS2, because Y1 and Y2 both sold poorly in the West and many people are too young to have played Yakuza games in the 90's.

@Sheria your opinion is weird to me, but whatever. I'd rather get Yakuza games in the West than not.

As would I. But even better than that, I'd rather get 6, 7, 8 , 9 etc, without feeling the need to reboot or soft-reboot anything.

• @Sheria That's not really the world we live in though. The success of Zero and Kiwami are making that more likely.

@Sheria That's not really the world we live in though. The success of Zero and Kiwami are making that more likely.

You're probably right, and I see that as really disappointing.

• Personally, I don't see it as particularly troubling. Again - success is a good thing. Adding dialogue scenes between Kiriyu and Haruka about Millennium Tower being built on a vacant lot that Kiriyu has history with isn't somehow defiling the memory of Ps2 Yakuza. The only thing I've seen so far that's not a direct improvement over the original Yakuza is the increased presence of Majima Goro in what's kindddd of a shoehorned in type fashion. It's a bit jarring to be running down the street and hear Majima calling out to you from inside a

giant traffic cone

I'm running into him a lot. :)

I meant a soft reboot as in remaking the first several games for people who've never played them before.

Kiwami is not Y1, it's a remake of Y1 with improved graphics, better combat, additional story elements and sidequests. It's like an extended special edition dvd or whatever.

I doubt it If I go with what you have said, otherwise Kiwami would still be the better start of point.

Improving Kingdom Hearts 1 with better graphics, combat story and sidequests would not make me recommend Birth by Sleep before KH1; reason being is that Birth by Sleep is written in such a way that it recognises its players are already aware of what is to come, and it plays into that. Yakuza Zero has the same thing.