KYB: Killing the Games of Tomorrow

• @Brannox said in KYB: Killing the Games of Tomorrow:

@CGamor7 I would say A Way Out is a new take about how to play a game while running a scene simultaneously with game play on the same screen. Even though co-op exclusively makes it something I won't be able to play, I respect the initiative and am looking forward to seeing how it does.

A Way Out is a definite potential game-changer, but there have been a lot of games that have shown an innovative mechanic in a trailer, and it ends up getting nerfed into oblivion. IMO, Death Stranding currently has more potential, because even what it is isn't clear yet.

• @Brannox yeah it is different. Looks interesting. But for me I'm looking at the idea of change as big leap forward in games.

I remember when the repetitive and over done concept of Assassins Creed was a fresh idea that got everyone excited. When a game could finally be like Morrowind or Oblivion. When Demon Souls came and blew everyone away with simple concepts in gaming long unused. These are very rare and amazing shifts in gaming. I personally find the later years of PS3, Xbox and this entire generation to be missing those shifts. Most games at this point play pretty much the same but prettier or smoother then one another. It doesn't make them bad, and they do offer unique mechanics. But not typically note worthy. In 15 years, even less this generation will be known for VR which may be the start of one of those shifts I've talked about once it picks up. It definitely wont be remembered for any game that changed how games get created for the next 5 years. However, this gen ain't over yet.

It might be a lot to hope Kojima can do this, but if anyone can it would be him since he doesn't fit his creativity in a box like most studios.

• @Oscillator To that, I agree. I've seen trailers hold so much promise and then the actual product come nowhere close. This is kind of why I understand a lot of kills on this list being "only a trailer, not a game." You can show ANYTHING in a trailer, but any trailer could be the best thing ever.

@CGamor7 I totally get that. I wonder what really categorizes a big leap for me. I try to think about the major trends over the last few years, but then I realize simple concepts are what's exploded onto the scene with games such as Rocket League and PUBG. This isn't a knock on them, yet they don't necessarily do anything different.

HOWEVER, if we talk hardware, I think the Switch is probably the closest "Games-changer" currently, with the ability to play home console games on the go with detachable controllers. Personally there isn't anything on the Switch that appeals to me, but I cannot deny its mass appeal and how much people say "Put it on the Switch!" when talking about what games should be on the system.

To conclude about A Way Out, that simultaneous technical aspect is what jumps out, and while I do not disagree with you @CGamor7, it's hard for me to gauge what constitutes a big leap forward. The story premise is one that really hasn't been explored much so that in combination with the splitscreen nature of how the game is built is the only reason I thought at the time of reveal, "Could more games adopt this style?"

• @Brannox I love the Switch!

These would be my main two areas I would like to see improvement.

Advancement in AI to create a more realistic and dynamic worlds. NPC's that feel very real. I imagine something like this in a game like elderscrolls where the NPC's are more then a few lines of dialogue and can have actual personalities that adapt.

Dynamic story telling. I know games can offer multiple fixed paths. But I'm thinking higher level. Stories that change and adapt alongside the player. I know this is something Leslie Benz has said is a goal of their new game and studio.

Imagine a world where the NPC's and the society they live in dynamically change to every action you take. Imagine in Skyrim you choose to wipe out both sides of the civil war single handedly with your dragons and name yourself the new world leader.

Anyways, I know the effort and computing power it would take for such things would take forever and may not happen for a very long time, but I look forward to seeing strides in that direction. I think Todd Howard is sitting in ES6 because he wants to actually push it forward in new and exciting ways.

I'll have to look more into a way out. I've only seen the trailer.

• Miyazaki of FromSoftware steps on stage to introduce his company's new game. The lights dim.

We see Michael Keaton taking a bath. He's not moving very much. All of a sudden, a dark, shadowy hand covers his face as the water begins to turn into some sort of sludge. The camera slowly moves into the drain of the tub, and once it has moved into the pipes, it quickly snakes through some plumbing before popping out the other end, where we see Martin Scorsese threatening someone with a sledgehammer. When he slams the weapon down on the victim's face, it actually splits into a bunch of spiders. The camera zooms in real close to one of the spiders, who is actually played by Christopher Lloyd dressed as Doc Brown. Cut to black. Logo for Grim Pruning splashes on screen. No release date is shown.

This game could be anything. It also has a talented, "game-changing" director behind it, a weird trailer, and we know literally nothing else about it. Get excited, ya'll!

I honestly just don't get the reasoning behind the Death Stranding love. Kojima has made some great games, sure, but that doesn't automatically mean everything he touches will be amazing. Not knowing anything about a product being a selling point is also super strange to me. We're basically buying a box with a big question mark on it and saying that is more interesting than something that is more tangible. That question mark box might contain riches, but right now, there's an equal chance that opening it is going to lead to this.

alt text

• @SabotageTheTruth said in KYB: Killing the Games of Tomorrow:

Miyazaki of FromSoftware steps on stage to introduce his company's new game. The lights dim.
    We see Michael Keaton taking a bath. He's not moving very much. All of a sudden, a dark, shadowy hand covers his face as the water begins to turn into some sort of sludge. The camera slowly moves into the drain of the tub, and once it has moved into the pipes, it quickly snakes through some plumbing before popping out the other end, where we see Martin Scorsese threatening someone with a sledgehammer. When he slams the weapon down on the victim's face, it actually splits into a bunch of spiders. The camera zooms in real close to one of the spiders, who is actually played by Christopher Lloyd dressed as Doc Brown. Cut to black. Logo for Grim Pruning splashes on screen. No release date is shown.

I greatly anticipate this. It may now be my most anticipated game, as a matter of fact.

Grim Pruning 20(?)XX hype!

• @SabotageTheTruth said in KYB: Killing the Games of Tomorrow:

I honestly just don't get the reasoning behind the Death Stranding love.

I don't have any special love for it, but right now, it does at least look like something different. It piques my curiosity.

• Kojima and Insomniac both haven't made a great game in over a decade, but I'll go with Kojima. A game where he's free from the chains of his bloated epic is much more interesting to me than a licensed game about a superhero.

• @Ringedwithtile I would like to politely disagree in terms of Insomniac with their Ratchet & Clank reboot. I have not played a Kojima game, so I cannot comment on those. As for Sunset Overdrive, it was fine, but nothing all too great.

• The most anticipated game for the EZA community is Death stranding who beat out Spider-man 10 votes to 8.

That concludes this list.

The next list will be skipping the selective creation process and go straight to KYB's. However I've had to delay it due to time constraints so the dev team (I totally mean I) has more time to polish it up to bring you the best that KYB's has to offer. Please be excited.

Until next time

L&R

alt text