Should i give up on zelda

• @Oscillator I never got the complaint about "no jumping" being that bad in the other 3d zeldas. the games were designed around automatic jumping so it never felt needed. If there was a gap you knew you were gonna make it, but it still felt like platforming. Jumping in other places would have just been a novelty.

• @Bigdude1 I think it's just one of those things that never feels right and takes a while to adjust to if you ever do at all since your instincts tell you "I'm supposed to jump here" instead of "I'm supposed to just run off this cliff and the game will jump for me." It's like how in some RPGs (none come to mind at the moment but I know they exist, I think Xenoblade? Been a while since I played that though) you don't have to actually attack enemies, you just need to be close to them for attacks to happen.

• @Bigdude1 said in Should i give up on zelda:

@Oscillator I never got the complaint about "no jumping" being that bad in the other 3d zeldas. the games were designed around automatic jumping so it never felt needed. If there was a gap you knew you were gonna make it, but it still felt like platforming. Jumping in other places would have just been a novelty.

For a great many people, it was never a problem, but I understand the need of some to have more absolute control.

• In short, ignore all the people that are telling you to ignore other people. Listen to me. I'm the only person here accredited to talk about Zelda.

Skip the series, learn wood carving instead.

In all seriousness, the question is almost phrased as though the OP feels the need to like Zelda. You don't have to like the series, as there are many of us that don't, and most of us are functioning members... of society. While the main complaint of not being able to jump in the series is addressed by Breath of the Wild, I don't think it's going to suddenly make you enjoy something you actively haven't. If you've given the series a fair shake and it isn't for you, then more power to you. Spend your time playing things you enjoy. Plus, nothing is set in stone - if you feel the desire to play Breath of the Wild (or any other Zelda game) down the road, go for it.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Should i give up on zelda:

Skip the series, learn wood carving instead.

I concur, wood carving is hype. Daysailing is even hyper though, so if you can woodcarve a sailboat, I'd say do that.

• @Haru17 said in Should i give up on zelda:

And then of course Breath totally dropped the ball in terms of rewarding exploration

This part is just mind-blowing. This game revolves entirely around exploration, everywhere you go, every cliff you climb, every corner you turn, every lake you dive into, every location is rewarding, whether it offers a chest, a rare ingredient, a korok, a shrine, a quest, or even just a gorgeous vista.

You're free to hate this game but saying it doesn't offer rewarding exploration is intellectually dishonest. If you really want to have a measured discussion you shouldn't use such a hostile and authoritative tone.

• @Axel I gotta agree that BOTW is all about making exploration worth it. As someone that isn't really huge on Zelda or most open world games generally speaking I think the best moment I've ever had in a game in the franchise was when I was just messing about, saw a tower miles and miles away deep in a desert (a part of the map I hadn't even seen yet up until this point) and said "yeah I'm climbing that." It took forty five minutes, maybe an hour even, but I finally reached it and made my way up. I didn't do it because I wanted more info on my overworld map or because I thought I'd find some sweet gear along the way, I did it for the sake of the journey. I don't think there's a purer reward for exploration than that.

• @Axel said in Should i give up on zelda:

If you really want to have a measured discussion you shouldn't use such a hostile and authoritative tone. ( @Haru17 )

I concur.

• @Axel @DeweyDTruman

This is my experience with it As well. I've personally become tired of open world games. I have my own views of where I would like to see open worlds games go but BotW was the most fun in an open world I've had in a very long time. Just being there and staring off into the distance, taking in the scenery and just exploring is a lot of fun. I love the design and scale of the world. They did such a good job creating it. This is my first true Zelda game. I've only seen OoT.

• Just try different Zelda games and see if any of them click with you.

• @DeweyDTruman I had no problems with that in xenoblade either. I love learning the rulesets to each game and mastering them.

• Banned

@CGamor7 said in Should i give up on zelda:

@Axel @DeweyDTruman

This is my first true Zelda game. I've only seen OoT.

I guess that confirms it. Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a great game if you're not a fan of Zelda.

• My take on this as a whole: Play whatever you want to play, and like to play. There is no need to like any series because someone else likes them, despite how popular that someone is or something like that. That doesn't make you weird, that just makes you YOU. I do like a lot of things, but personally, I don't like most competitive games, so games like LOL, DOTA2, CS:GO and PUBG are games that I simply won't play, despite them being some of the most popular games at the moment.

As for Zelda as a series, I think that despite it being a long lasting series, the games do have plenty of differences in them, so if one or two games on it don't click with you, there's always a different take on Zelda. LttP is way different than OoT, as are WW and BotW.

But whatever it is you do, do at least try out something outside of your comfort zone every now and then, and give something different a chance every once in a while. You never know, you might just find something that clicks with you more than you ever could have believed.

• @DeweyDTruman this is 1 of the reasons i didn't want to ask it on another forum i got banned for just aksing the same question.

@DeweyDTruman i have the same problem with metal gear solid 2 (not mgs1 on ps1) on exciting moments i wanted to try and escape i forgot there was no jump and just did the jumped against the railing.