Rank The Significance: Final Fantasy Edition

• alt text

Greetings Allies! I've had this idea stewing in my head for awhile and finally decided to launch it. Just to give some context, I love the Kill Your Babies threads we participate in but the speed at which they move at times can limit everyone from having their voice heard. I wanted to launch something that lasts an entire week, where everyone can join in, in the hopes of creating longer conversations about certain gaming aspects or franchises.

What is it? - A list compiled by the community where voting lasts an entire week (from Wednesday to Wednesday) showing off what we find to be most (and least) significant.

How do I contribute? - Just comment with your list and I'll tally it in post-haste. Your list should have the most significant at the top and go in descending order, with the bottom-most entry being what you care the least about. If you want to explain all of your ranking or some, that's encouraged, although not required.

How does it work? - Similiarly to some of the "Best" lists that have been created here, each entry will be assigned a point value. The least significant receives one point, the entry above two points, etc. Significance is related to you personally, not the industry as a whole. All entries must be placed in your ranking or your ranking won't be counted. Once you've placed your ranking, no editing will be allowed to avoid confusion.

If someone's list correctly matches up with the community's list, they receive the right and responsibility to help choose a list in the future. In the event of a tie, that right and responsibility is null and void.

Without further ado, let's rank the significance of the mainline Final Fantasy titles!

Final Fantasy
    Final Fantasy II
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy XI
    Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Final Fantasy XV

• Final Rankings :

166 points - Final Fantasy VII
    148 points - Final Fantasy VI
    135 points - Final Fantasy IX
    129 points - Final Fantasy X
    127 points - Final Fantasy IV
    98 points - Final Fantasy VIII
    97 points - Final Fantasy XII
    93 points - Final Fantasy V
    86 points - Final Fantasy XV
    83 points - Final Fantasy
    79 points - Final Fantasy III
    54 points - Final Fantasy XIII
    53 points - Final Fantasy XIV
    46 points - Final Fantasy XI
    45 points - Final Fantasy II

Last user ranking added: jipostus

Total rankings added: 12

• Personal rankings -

Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy XI
    Final Fantasy XV
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy II

Coming up with the top 5 was a lot harder than I had anticipated, and although there certainly is a part of me that wants to put FF15 at the very bottom, I threw it a bit of a bone. I've heard nothing but terrors about Final Fantasy II and the 3rd game just isn't one I've tried or plan on trying.

• Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy II
    Final Fantasy
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy XI
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy XV

Everything X and later for me is insignificant. X wasn't all that bad in hindsight but it signifies a shift in the series that I didn't care for in my opinion. Any FF without an overworld is insignificant lol.

While I liked aspects of XV esoecially the yhings that feklt very FF I put it last because of choppy story and horrible fetch quests. This is anither shift in the series that is taking it further into nothingness. I think it coukd gave been higher but for FF I need to put story abive all else.

• @CGamor7 Yeah, each generation certainly leads to a shift, but my heart will always be with the PS1 era. I agree that X changed a lot and I don't regard it nearly as much as I used to - but I still ranked it high because of the impact it had on me when I was younger, because of Auron, and although the voice acting is pretty bad, I remember hearing the characters talk was something completely new to me at the time.

• @SabotageTheTruth This is a neat idea! Great initiative!

Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy
    Final Fantasy XI
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy II
    Final Fantasy XV
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy VIII

My list is more a reflection of the significance on the genre, series, and Final Fantasy's impact. As such, the above list is NOT reflective of my personal rankings. I tried to go in order of what each entry brought, regardless of execution and both the positive and negative impacts.

VII - Introduced an entire generation to the series and JRPGs as a genre
    X - Brought voice acting and 3D environments
    IV - Solidified the series (as FF II in the West) as a staple to many a gamer's catalog
    VI - What is probably considered the best (if not neck and neck with VII) in the series. A subjective point, sure, but many today hold this in highest regard, especially those who are prevalent in the industry
    I - It started the series. That's significant
    XI - Brought a traditional single player experience into the MMO scape
    IX - A solid entry (One of the few I have not played), this is considered the last "return to FF's roots" before jumping to 3D
    XII - Fused MMO aspects into a single-player experience. While not the only divisive FF, this is probably the most polar opposite in division
    XIV - Significance comes from being rebuilt from the ground up from a broken launch to a highly successful game. If you don't know what I mean, please watch the NoClip documentary series to learn what happened.
    XIII - The first HD FF, it also established what NOT to do with the franchise.
    II - Primarily, this established the trend of changing up gameplay/leveling up mechanics with each game. Like XIII, it provides a lesson about what not to do.
    XV - Its significance is primarily just existing. The development time (even when a different property) gave this game's release as a moment more memorable (for good or ill) than other entries. It also provides other neat ideas, but doesn't execute completely all around.
    III - I can't comment on this or V due to not playing them, and therefore am not clear on their contributions.
    V - See above
    VIII - Its only significance that comes to mind is it came directly after VII. Despite having personal issues with it, there are those out there who love it.

I FEEL like that's everything, but I'm sure I missed something about some of the entries.

• @Brannox cough - Significance is related to you personally, not the industry as a whole.

You sure you want to go with that list? Although if you value your takes on the industry more than personal feelings, that's cool too. Play how you want to play!

• @SabotageTheTruth @Brannox I used both as a way to factor mine.

• @SabotageTheTruth This is something I gave thought to, and to be honest, I tried to implement how it's done on the podcast. I can't remember what the last subject of the game was (game announcements? It's been awhile), but if memory serves, the panel debated about each item's importance. And that's how I've always seen it: Significance = importance.

However, I'll leave the decision up to you: Provided above is what I feel are objectively significant, without personal preference (Otherwise, VI would be WAY lower). Below is my personal ranking. I'm fine with either list you choose, but please keep in mind I have not played III, V, IX, XI, or XIV and the list is shown accordingly (In IX's case, I'm rectifying that in the new year. I'm waiting until after PSX for a long-shot hailmary announcement from Square that VIII and IX are coming to PS4 in the vain that VII did with the speed up and god cheats.)

VII
    X
    XII
    IV
    I
    XV
    II
    VI
    VIII
    XIII
    IX
    III
    V
    XI
    XIV

• @Brannox @CGamor7 Right, I think it would be some sort of combination of things, as it's rate the significance, not your favorite necessarily. I just wanted to avoid all lists being about the industry only, as that isn't as much fun as taking in personal picks. For example, XI is significant because it's the first online FF but I rated it lower because it didn't mean as much to me since I've never played it.

Since you emphasized the first list not being indicative of your personal feelings Brannox, I'm going to use the second one as your list if you don't mind.

• @SabotageTheTruth Whichever works! I like the discussion regardless. You'll notice how VII and X stay at the top, but things I'm not a fan of (VI, XI) are higher from an objective view, but things like III, V and VIII stay near the bottom (if not in the same place).

• @Brannox I gotta admit, this is already giving a much different heart sinking feeling than KYB does, haha. Seeing FF5 slowly drop out of significance is like watching a loved one very slowly, very painfully face their mortality.

• @SabotageTheTruth Dude, relatable.

• Global Moderator

aah this is fun! will take a while to get my rankings in I think!

Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy XV
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Final Fantasy XI
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy II
    Final Fantasy
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy XIII

To be totaly honest I am just sure about the top 5 and bottom 3. I wasnt sure where to put XIV as I really liked it, but feel like I dont have enough experience with it.

• Things that aren't surprising - 7 being on top this entire time and 13 eventually making it to the bottom.

Things that are surprising - 2 being close to the middle of the pack and 14 being on the lower end of the spectrum.

• Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy XV
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy
    Final Fantasy II
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Final Fantasy XI

VII - Not only was this the 1st mainline Final Fantasy game released in europe, but also my 1st FF and the game that made me a JRPG fan. It ended my dislike of random encounters, which was a concept I couldn't get behind before this game, as I only played JRPGs like Secret of Mana and the Gaia games.

VIII - After 7 I was just super excited about a new FF and I greatly enjoyed it, before the internet I was not aware of that many dislike it.

VI - it actually took a long time till I got around playing this game, but i can see why many consider it the best FF, it isn't for me but it's certainly great.

XV - when it was revealed that VSXIII will now be XV during SE's E3 conference, I was ecstatic, I played the betas, got teh game on release and enjoyed my time with it greatly.

X - Since my 1st FF was VII, with a futuristic setting, and VIII continued that trend, I was diappointed in IX being medival, a setting that at that time really didn't interest me, so i was very happy when FFX was announced. I also enjoyed X-2.

IV - It's just a very good JRPG, can't really say more here.

XIII - Many people hate it, I don't, I enjoyed the whole trilogy.

V - I have never beaten it but from what I played it was pretty good.

III - I've only played the DS remake, which was fun.

I - I only played the GBA remake, it was alright.

II - same as FFI but I didn't enjoy it that much.

IX - came with a setting I really didn't care about back then, and a main character I disliked right at the beginning. I do own a copy and kinda want to play it again eventually, but I'm kinda hoping for a PS4 release like they did with VII, with all the comfort options (speed up etc.), that would be great.

XII - the only reason why this is not on the last place is that it's a single player game, else I hate it. Okay I like the story and characters, but the dungeon design and gameplay are imo atrocious, I couldn't even beat it with Action Replay cheating since I still had to go through the awful dungeons, for story sakes I played till the last but I just couldn't continue.

XIV - It's only above XI because I played a beta for a short while, which wasn't the worst thing ever but I really don't care about MMOs.

XI - never played, don't care, should have been called Final Fantasy Online, not 11.

• Great idea for a thread series! Unfortunately I can't contribute to this one, as I've only played VII and XII. Maybe next week then. (Although there's not that many game series that I've played every entry of. We'll see.)

• hmmm I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough about FF to make a fair list, but whatever, I'll just half ass it.

VI
    IX
    X
    IV
    XIII
    XII
    VII
    VIII
    XV
    V
    III
    II
    I
    XI
    XIV

• 7 > 9 > 4 > 6 > 10 > 15 > 5 > 8 > 3 > 1 > 12 > 2 > 13 > 11 > 14

11 & 14 might be good games but they're insignifigant to me, I dont care to play them

7 & 9 are my favourites, I long for journeying worlds that interesting with characters I like that much. 4, 6, 10, 15 & 5 all do this to varying degrees of success too

8 is where things get tricky. there ARE characters I genuinely loved in that game like Laguna and I really like the world and soundtrack and triple triad is great but it's all dragged down by the main characters being lame and the story eventually descending to the dumbest nonsense

1, 3 and 12 are just bland nothings to me and 2 and 13 are actively unpleasant

• So where should the titles go that I haven't played? I would hate for my rating to effect their rankings, so if it's at all possible for those not to have an effect, I'd like that :)

VI > IX > VII > IV > XII > III > I > V > XI > X > VIII > II // XV? > XIV > XIII???

I'd say the top 4 are in a tier, then another tier after I, then another tier after XI.