Getting started on creating videos

• Hey Allies!

I've always enjoyed the videos and shows that GT and now EZA produced and it made realize that I love talking and sharing my views on video games and gaming related stuff as well.

It was on an episode on the EZA podcast I believe, where Ben mentioned that he started out creating videos with him talking to himself in the library that really inspired me to give it a shot.

So here I am seeking advise from you guys; I would love to hear from anyone who had prior knowledge or experience in creating videos. Where do I get started in terms of software/equipment as well as learning how to put together a video.

Thanks to anyone who responds!

• I recommend using Sony vegas pro 13. It's easy to self-learn how to use it, plus there is a bunch of good tutorials. It's pretty expensive however, and with so much free programs out there, you might find one that may suit you more.
    For hardware, try to work with what you got for now. See how it works and buy additional or better equipment if you decide you want to do this regularly.
    If you intend to upload podcasts on youtube, please don't just post some pics, but actually use clips and videos. If you want to add your camera view in video, don't only record your face, but at least from chest upwards. Body language is more important than most people consider it. If you'll talk over a video without a sound, try to put some background music in there. And if you intend to to a longer video, put timestamps in the description.

Those are my suggestions. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I wish you good luck.

• Adobe creative cloud is pretty good if you want a bunch of programs that can help you make videos, can self teach with videos. But I agree with Sony Vegas as a great program to use first off.

• I swear by Adobe products. I use After Effects to create my intros, Premiere Pro for main video editing, audition to boost my voice and Photoshop to create images for thumbnails, logos and branding. I never went to school to learn any of these programs and ended up just teaching them myself through online tutorial videos and just messing about.

Now as said by Pat and Nillend these programs are expensive and honestly not needed if you want to do something simple, if you plan to do a podcast then Window's Movie Maker is more than enough, audio editing with audacity is the way to go as it is free (and pretty powerful too), if you want to record yourself then get a Logitech Webcam, with the right lighting (cheap lamp throwing some light on your face is more than enough) you can get pretty great quality. My pet peeve is audio however, make sure to use some sort of mic and try to cut as much noise out as possible. Using a built in Laptop mic might work but 8 times out of 10 makes you sound like you are under water.

Really it comes down to exactly what you want to create. But here's the most important thing I wish somebody had told me about 5 years ago, if you want to create, then do it. Don't worry about being perfect right from the start, work with what you have and then slowly build up your gear and your ideas. Anyone can do an LP there's no real talent to that, making a fully fledged video or podcast however takes time and effort but once it is done you'll feel awesome for creating something of your own.

If you're interested in what sort of gear I use or have any other questions then ask away.

Love & Respect and Keep on Gaming.

• Thanks for the advise Allies!

In terms of editing software, it was definitely between Sony Vegas and Premiere Pro from the get go. I've so far been looking Adobe Premiere Pro and have yet to delve much into Sony Vegas so I was wondering what the main difference is? Besides from the interface I guess. I know it's pretty costly but I'm looking at it also from the perspective that I'm picking up a skill whilst also having a little fun =D

I know how much audio matters so I'm definitely getting a USB mic and have already settled on getting the Blue Yeti Snowflake. As for what sort of video I'm looking to create, it's more of thoughts and impressions videos of various topics and games that I want to talk about, so my idea is to piece together footage of the games and media and then have myself talk over it. Which then leads me to another question that I've been thinking about and that is how to actually get that said footage.

So how did some of you guys get your footage in the beginning? I have a PS4 so one of the things that I thought of was to use the built-in recording function to record 15 minute clips and then export them out to edit and cut them together. Another way I thought of is to grab official media/trailers from youtube channels and use those. I'm not too sure about the legal implications of this though, do I have to credit them in the video or something like that?

I really appreciate the advise so far, really helps to know I can get some useful and sincere tips here.

Love & Respect

• @Fumomo haven't done much in adobe, so I can't help you there. If you'll be using usc mic, there is a chance that you may encounter annoying high-pitched 'whine' in the background. That may be due to the ground loop. It has very specific frequency, so it's hard to mistake it. In that case, you might want to check these solution, but the most conventional method is to buy an usb isolator or sound eliminating box.

I haven't been capturing footage from PS4 before, but I've been using Xsplit for PC. OBS is fine too, but you really have to get a hang of it. As taking footage from others, I'm not completely sure how copyrights work here, but I think you are pretty much ok, if you use footage or trailers from the official channels (Like Ubisoft and Playstation) , and not from third parties. But you should still check about fair use. I also found this list that marks which companies are generally ok with that. Luckily, most of them are.

If you have any other question, don't hesitate to ask.

• This post is deleted!

• @Fumomo

I work as a film editor and researcher, so here's a few thoughts:

Sound is 80% of film, so goes the saying, and it ain't wrong. If you have to spend dollar bills (and you will to some extend at least) put the money into sound.

What are you recording? Interviews? A solo podcast? Audio to accompany moving image? What are your needs? For talking heads you can boom it or use a lavalier mic (also known as a lapel mic). If it's a podcast / webcam type deal then a decent studio mic / usb mic will suit your requirements. Avoid cheapo entry level stuff if you can, go mid range to begin with. Consider the space you are recording in, echo, outside ambient noise, fans, fridge murmurs, flatmates, do what you can to minimise interference, the less there is the less you'll have to clean up during post-production.

For picture: if the shot is fixed like a typical youtuber upload then a decent webcam might be all you need, hell even the latest smart phones held steady can record at 4k, more than you need, grab a gorillapod Should you start to want to move into street filming, location work etc then you'll need to invest. Camera bodies, especially second hand can be picked up for relatively low cost, a Canon 5D, Sony A7S, or Panasonic GH4 are all great starter choices. That said it's the lenses and extras that juice those greenbacks. Are you planning to film at night? Can you light it well? If not you'll need a fast lens which unfortunately doesn't come cheap. If you can only get one get a workhorse zoom, avoid primes, those cost a ton and require a bit more know how to use effectively.

Get some decent headphones and TEST TEST TEST the sound and visuals. Mix up the lighting, run with what you think looks best, you'll develop a sense for it through trial and error.

As for editing: if you can afford one of the Adobe CC packages I would go for that. It's more or less industry standard for a decent rate at this stage. Avoid Apple's Final Cut, they went off the rails, and Avid is still more or less high end. Premiere Pro is easy to use and comes with a huge number of tutorials. You can learn basic editing in a week, a few days if you put in the time. Don't be intimidated, I've seen a ridiculous number of so called professional editors google things on the regular, that and playing with a program is the best way to master it.

Go on and check out lots of different films to see what pushes your buttons. Watch movies, watch adverts, watch trailers, watch music videos and try to see them in a mechanical sense: why did they cut it there? how is the camera moving? would I do it that way myself? Vimeo also has lots of beginner tutorials, an entire section on them in fact, use them!

In terms of capture I haven't much to say, not my bag, nevertheless there is a wealth of guides available. The best advice I can give is don't bite off more than you can chew. Have an achievable goal in mind and work towards it. Once you get there set a new one. Mistakes make you better, see them as opportunities rather than failures.

Regarding clips from official sources: use them, if you're working on a non profit basis you're covered by what is known as Fair Use. I would recommend not using audio (particularly soundtracks and songs) if you can avoid it. Don't want to get to much into this but youtube has an ill-conceived policy that allows a shoot first ask questions later approach to copyright law. Unfortunately this benefits the big boys who will slap an infringement notice on anything they can. Protect yourself and your work, use small, publicly available clips and make sure to include a disclaimer where possible.

If you want any direct advice or have any specific questions please genuinely feel free to send me a message, it's always rad to help someone with this stuff. All the best and can't wait to see what you come up with!

• @Fumomo Well the difference is that Adobe products naturally work really well together so using .psd files with After Effects or Premiere Pro allows you to use pretty much all the file details (Layer Styles, Vector Graphics, etc). Honestly if you want to make videos that focus more on your thoughts while having game footage/ trailers play then I'd say go with Vegas, it's cheaper and does everything you need. If you want to make your own animated logos, transitions, effects then I'd say Adobe is better BUT this also means more learning as not all programs use the same shortcuts and work differently when it comes to rendering and the likes.

USB Mic. As Nillen said you will have some noise because of the ground loop, this just happens. You can invest in a device to eliminate the noise but before you get that I would check if you can remove that noise through Noise Removal. Usually this works rather well and there's no need for any extras.

When it comes to game recording then there is no other answer than Elgato. Either get the external device, the older unit is cheapest but only records in 1080p 30fps while the newer units record up to 60fps. Some units have a recording delay meaning you'll see no delay on your TV Screen, but there will be a 15-30 ms delay in your recording, which is something you have to work around should you want to use it to stream. Honestly this isn't that big of a deal unless it bothers you that in a stream you have to change your mic audio to a 15-30 ms delay each time you use it to stream games.

OH! Super important, invest in a pop filter! They are cheap but necessary. There is nothing worse than listening to someone talk and then pop their B's and P's in your ear.

Love & Respect

• Global Moderator

As other people mentioned, go Adobe CC if you can afford it!

I just finished my university studies and I have been using both Premiere pro and Avid over the past years, I REALLY prefer Premiere pro every day of the week! how you so much easier can export and import between the other adobe software makes it so much easier as well as working with after effects is super nice!

ALSO, I would STRONGLY recommend that you have somekind of scripts/bulletspoints on what you want to talk about. There are so many vlogs/podcasts out there that kinda de-rails and it becomes a kinda dull blabbing on instead of keeping to concrete points and opinions. I dont say to script every word, but the content becomes so much better with a clear planning before you record!

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.