Selective Creation: Video Game Locations Edition

• Hey everyone! I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring of Selective Creation/KYB threads so here's mine.

Let's create the ultimate list of the 25 best video game locations! To be more specific, not whole game worlds. I'm talking specific locations, for example: Ding Dong Dell or Shinshu Field. It can't be the whole world map, but rather a smaller section of it. Small individual worlds/levels like the Disney Worlds from Kingdom Hearts are OK. The location must be named in game to count, so no "Northwest Corner of etc.". Dungeons are also exempt as those deserve their own list.

We'll be using traditional rules:

-You can only give one title until four people have added after you or 12 hours have passed since the last addition to the list.

-Keep a running list of the locations previously mentioned so that everyone can keep track of the list.

-Only 3 locations per franchise are permitted.

• Ravenholm (HL2)

This list is done

• Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)

First thing that came to mind

• Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)
    Forsaken Cainhurst Castle {Bloodborne)

My Castlevania boner went WILD.

• Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)
    Wall Market (Final Fantasy VII)

Whats not to like about this grungy sector of Midgar. Its everything anyone could ask for. Its got a pharmacy to visit after eating at the local diner, cross dressing, Honey Bee Inn, a gym, shopping and a cool dangerous wall for all the youngsters to climb.

• This is a great idea @michemagius!

Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)
    The Wall Market (Final Fantasy VII)
    Midgar (Final Fantasy VII)

It was difficult for me to think of a better example of a complete dichotomy of a location: The well-off, manipulative people who live on the plate above the more hopeful, but downtrodden people in the slums. There is so much character that each little location holds.

I can't wait to see this list formed! I expect a lot of great levels and locales!

• @Brannox you missed my entry in your list. I know you're new to this game and all so ill let you off with a warning lol.

• Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)
    Forsaken Cainhurst Castle (Bloodborne)
    Forgotten Vale (TES V: Skyrim: Dawnguard)

Right at the entrance to this area, in the forested valley before you cross the pass into the snow and ice. It's one of the coolest game environments I've ever seen and comes literally at the end of a long, dark, and harrowing tunnel. The best part is that it's all a huge story dungeon absolutely riddled with unique items and secrets.

• @CGamor7 You must have posted after I started writing my entry. I'm sorry for missing it. I'm about to fix it, but while I do, I wanted to ask you if you think my entry is null because of yours. Is Midgar too broad? The Wall Market is a fantastic choice. As is Shinra HQ. And Sector 7. And the church. I couldn't decide between them all so I wanted to include them all. I'll choose another spot if so and adjust accordingly.

And yes: I'm a total newb. Thank fur lookin outz!

• @Brannox hmmmm I think its fine, but I like the idea of the a more personal location personally. Its also easier to describe the smaller locations in more detail to paint a nice picture for everyone else. You have some good ones there. Totally up to you.

• Isn't Rapture too broad? That's basically the entire game, no? (I didn't play Bioshock)

• @Axel based on the description given at the beginning I would say it is as it is the everything in the game.

Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)
    Velvetopia (Psychonauts)

Really all levels in Psychonauts but this one especially.

• @bard91 Velvetopia is my favorite level in Psychonauts! I can't wait for Kyle to play it!

• Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)
    Velvetopia (Psychonauts)
    Lei Colmosna (Gravity Rush 2)

Hard call between this and Pleajeune in GR1 but they're both excellent, vibrant cities that make ya feel good.

Youtube Video

• Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)
    Velvetopia (Psychonauts)
    River City High (River City Ransom)

Floor after floor of battles, a throwback boss fight and a final boss. Amazing final stage in that game. The penultimate fight is just amazing.

For reference (but a really boring fight):

Youtube Video – [00:06..]

• Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)
    Velvetopia (Psychonauts)
    Sentinel Beach (Jak & Daxter)

I just love the vibes of this corner of that world. Right amount of everything and you can see the area as a whole all the time. The cove feels secure.
    (I also really liked the Moonrise Kingdom scenes (that cove) in that film, so there's something that speaks to me in places like these.)

• Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)
    Velvetopia (Psychonauts)
    Hyrule Field: Upper Eldin (TLoZ: Twilight Princess)

Just a ton of memories from this area. I loved finding the hidden pieces of heart here, and the horseback battles were so iconic. The title screen and the music animated here are so perfect too. I remember spending a lot of time riding around and killing the respawning Bulblin riders. I love that Link can either ride their boars or startle them with an attack and send the Bulblins for a ride.

• Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)
    Velvetopia (Psychonauts)
    The Citadel (Mass Effect)

Because it has all my favourite shops.
    And I love the design of it.

• Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)
    Velvetopia (Psychonauts)
    Asgore's lair (Undertale)

The way Toby Fox built up to this moment and the way the music kicks in almost brought me to tears the first time I played it. Really brought things together in a great "Show Don't Tell" kind of way.

• Ravenholm (HL2)
    Rapture (Bioshock)
    Velvetopia (Psychonauts)
    Asgore's lair (Undertale)
    Nate and Elena's house (Uncharted 4: A Thief's End)

Environmental storytelling is a hard thing to pull off, but when done right, it can be incredibly powerful. From the memory trip in the attic to going through each room showcasing a lived-in feel, all the fine detail and storytelling in the entirety of Chapter 4 is what I remember the most about the game.