The Souls Retrospective

• admin

Now up for Patrons. Public at this time tomorrow.
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/souls-part-iii-15180602

• admin

• I've very little to say bar that I agree with Brad 100%. Covenants and network were a huge improvement but everything else was a step backwards I felt. Still a very good to great game, just the weakest in the series.

• @tokeeffe9

I dunno about everything. Power Stances were a cool idea.

• @Hazz3r Whenever someone talks about power stances I remember Maximilian Dood's Dark Souls II run from a year or two ago. He spent the whole game having chat bug him about trying power stance. He finally figured out what they wanted him to try, and his reaction was basically something like "you guys were making so much noise about something that just makes my dude raise his arm?" lol

• @Gaming_Groove It gives you a new moveset with certain weapon combinations. It was a really cool development to the combat system.

• @Hazz3r I know it does, and it is cool, I just thought it was a funny anecdote about how much souls fans love to backseat. Chat spent the better part of 30 hours mentioning power stance to a guy two-handing a lance. The people who love power stance really love power stance lol

• It's a bit of a shame this project went the way it did. The cleanest way would've been to just keep radio silence, finish all the five parts, and then release them one by one every week. The Q4 is a killer practically every year in this industry, surely they knew that and that there'd be tons of other things to do in, well, starting in September already, actually.

• admin

@Sentinel-Beach yeah, that's how I want to plan it out next time. I made sure we had all those scripts done before we gave it a date, and I did a lot to clear Brandon's schedule. (Ian and Don were practically never cutting reviews before.) But it still ended up getting off track. Lessons learned.

• Any update on the next part ?
    Pretty ridiculous to have 3+ month gap between parts.

• Hullo everyone! I've been having a couple of really hectic months, so I'd almost forgotten about this thread and the retrospective. Things have calmed down now though, so I've updated the OT with links to all the currently available parts. Thanks for keeping it alive people, and for linking to the latest part @Bloodworth!

I realize that this project is a huge undertaking, and I don't mind it taking the time that it needs to whether it could be more effectively planned or not. The videos are of such a high quality too so I still think you guys are doing a great job. It's impossible to get things perfect the first time, and more often than not things will never go exactly how you want them to no matter what you do.

Anyway, I've caught up with the latest part and I really liked it! Nice job. I think the fact that they made Dark Souls 2 a bit more accessible was a nice change of pace. It's not the strongest in the series for me personally, but I still appreciate it for what it did. I agree with @tokeeffe9 about the improvements to covenants and how multiplayer worked. Much needed!

That the game had a troubled development is noticeable though. For example the level design and how the sections felt so disconnected from each other (Iron Keep anyone?) The graphical downgrade was also a strange one which can probably be related to something happening while they were developing the game. It's unfortunate but hopefully they learned something from the missteps. I work as a software developer so I know how some things can throw whole projects out of balance while you still have higher-ups that keep pushing you on.

Can't wait for the next part! Keep up the good work.

• @Quecken said in The Souls Retrospective:

Hullo everyone! I've been having a couple of really hectic months, so I'd almost forgotten about this thread and the retrospective. Things have calmed down now though, so I've updated the OT with links to all the currently available parts. Thanks for keeping it alive people, and for linking to the latest part @Bloodworth!

I realize that this project is a huge undertaking, and I don't mind it taking the time that it needs to whether it could be more effectively planned or not. The videos are of such a high quality too so I still think you guys are doing a great job. It's impossible to get things perfect the first time, and more often than not things will never go exactly how you want them to no matter what you do.

They've been doing retrospectives for years now. This is very poor planning on their part. I don't understand why they'd even announce a retrospective series and stagger it so much. You know...they announced this retrospective 10 months ago !
    Think about that. Ridiculous.

• They already know it was planned poorly.

The video is done. The script is written. Jones hasn't had time to record the voice over and edit that into the video. He's working on it. There's been holidays and other events that have taken priority since he started. The first video was done in Sept. It's been talked about a lot.

I think blood and jones insinuated that next time they aren't going to announce anything until it's totally complete. That's not what happened this time because they underestimated the amount of time this would take and the man hours available to work on it.

• @TokyoSlim I don't think announcing it was really the issue though. I think in general communication is pretty poor on the content they're working on. This probably isn't the place but I do wish they had a weekly/monthly update post on patreon just giving a rough idea where they are with Retros, Game Slueth's, etc. Just hearing about those things progress can be really valuable to an audience as opposed to being completely in the dark.

• @tokeeffe9 I mean, Jones has talked about it on COJ several times. We know he's working on the Bloodborne piece and it's the longest by far of any of them so far and it's taking a long time to get recorded.
    I'm not sure what else there is to know? Like do we want a completion percentage meter? Isn't that just going to lead to people hounding Jones about what he's doing if it's not constantly going up?

I mean, we're getting threads like this and we're already pretty much aware of the situation already. I don't see how doing anything but just buckling down and getting it done is going to help anything.

I mean, don't get me wrong. This whole thing was botched, but it hasn't actually been 3+ months, and it's not like we haven't been updated on why it got botched and what is being done to fix it.

I just feel like at this point, being upset at the delay is fine, but not constructive. They know it got screwed up. :)

• @TokyoSlim I try to keep up to date with everything but I hadn't heard any update on CoJ. I think I've missed the last 1 or 2 but again, I think that more so proves my point. CoJ was never meant to be a show to update us and it isn't exactly that either. I'm not really sure how many people watch/listen to that but I just think an actual post dedicated to updates would work better. Just my personal take.

• @tokeeffe9 See, to me that seems exactly like what COJ is for. I'm an investor in EZA, I attend my investor meetings. :)

• Just FYI, I just read through the questions Brandon is going to be looking at tomorrow and someone asked a tangential question about having a more transparent schedule for retros and GS and other paid content. So we'll likely get another update. :)

Edit: He didn't directly address it. He dealt directly with the question of scheduling and patron expected value on retros and game sleuth.

• The Bloodborne episode is live for Patrons

• I think The bloodborne retrospective is my favorite video EVER from EZA.