What makes the Nintendo Switch such an appealing system?

• @binarymelon I don't have a Switch yet, I'm still saving up, but the 5 games I want are: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Breath of the Wild, ARMS, and Mario + Rabbids. There are other games I want to try like Overcooked and Sonic Mania but they're available on other systems.

• @Ross said:

The Switch is a cumbersome device that makes little sense to me

It's not cumbersome, unless you just mean it doesn't fit in your pocket. The Wii U was cumbersome. This actually works exactly as advertised. You play it at home on your tv, then when you need to go somewhere you take it out of the stand and bring it with you. You come home later and redock it. Plus if you have a solid surface while you're out, you can flip a kickstand out and play without even having to hold it. If someone wants to play with you, you can play lots of games with a sideways Joycon, which is a sucky gimmick, but still good if you're too poor to grab an extra controller or the person who's joining you is the type who'd be intimidated by holding a traditional controller.

Most of all though, it's just lightning fast. I can flip my Switch on and get into a game in next to no time, which is great when you only have a short period of time to fill while out on the go. Even the 3DS feels like it takes longer to get into a game, but I still have an old 3DS, so maybe the N3DS loads faster.

@ZyloWolfBane said:

Why pay MORE to run the worst version of a game (Not just on the system but the GAME too! #SwitchTax) just because it's portable?

Technically, the worst versions of games are mobile versions, and handheld versions of console games have always had to make compromises to accommodate being portable. You answered your own question. Yes, you pay the same cost or slightly more in some cases for a portable version of a game that as you said doesn't run as well as it would hardlined to a home console or PC, but the Switch is much more powerful than a PSP, a Vita, a 3DS, etc. so it's still a pretty decent portable experience in most cases.

Honestly, if you care so much about playing the best version of games you should be tethered to a desk playing nothing but a high-end PC at max settings, but that's not convenient for you so you compromise and play a worse console version on your couch instead that costs the same or more. This is the same concept, except the Switch offers even more freedom with where you can take it. Then there's the huge boon of indie games that have been coming to the Switch, many of which run on the system without compromise whatsoever. Sure, you can get some of these on other consoles, but you can't bring them anywhere with you on those consoles.

I just wish they could get on the bandwagons people care more about, proper online infrastructure, trophies/achievements, etc.

They're sorta halfway there on online infrastructure now, and by next year lots of the missing things should be addressed, just wouldn't expect built-in voicechat and it's still frustrating that Nintendo thinks certain games of theirs that definitely need online like Mario Party don't. Being able to send messages to your friends is another strange omission right now. I could personally care less about trophies/achievements though. Gamerscore is just e-peen, and any game these things are a significant part of will have them built straight into the game regardless like Smash does. I'll only care if getting the achievements rewards more than just your ego.

• So far its been a blast to have, and yeah the portability of it does kinda play a hand in that. However it has been great that I can play a few quick races of Fast Racing RMX, Mario Kart, Shovel Knight ect, without suffering hand cramps like I did with PSP, Vita, and 3DS after just a few minutes of playing. My only complaint so far is the cost of additional docks (like $90) which id love to get a extra one just to have as a "travel" dock, something I can leave in my car, and during the slow nights at work me and my coworkers can kill some time playing Mario Kart or Bomberman or something (I mean we already do that, but it would be nice to have a bigger screen)

However I am also excited as Switch has so far been able to deliver on the promise that Sony tried to deliver on with the Vita of handheld gaming on the go, throw in both of Nintendo's in house teams working on it its very likely that the game that Switch wont suffer the drought that Wii U suffered from, although we wont be able to really judge that till further down the road. I mean so far it seems like at least one major title has been releasing on Switch every month, which is pretty awesome. The only issue so far is that I foresee major third party titles such as COD, AC, Battlefront, or whatever possibly coming out months after it releases on PS4/X1 and its hard to predict how much that could effect sales of said brands on Switch.

• @michemagius Mario Kart, Breath of the Wild and arguably Splatoon are on other systems as well. I'll have to be kept happy with the Octopath demo for now.

• @binarymelon Some of my favorite Switch games aren't exclusive to Switch, but I think that's okay. Shovel Knight and Sonic Mania on the go are a joy and they don't wreck the battery super fast like more resource intensive games like Breath of the Wild do.

I know what people who don't play Splatoon think and say about Splatoon 2, but it's not justified at all. I know people so into Splatoon they still play both games, because the entire environment of Splatoon 1 is different than the one in Splatoon 2. Different hub, different levels, different campaign, different clothing sub abilities and weapon balance, completely different specials since none of the ones from 1 return in 2, different music, better art since it's linked to Miiverse and not everyone sees the same ones, etc. There's even more differences from Splatoon to Splatoon 2, but those are more straight up improvements like the completely reworked clothing textures and weapon models, addition of the amazing Salmon Run mode, new weapon types, additional hairstyles and pantstyles that don't clash with gear, etc. Until Splatoon 1's online servers shut down, there will still be separate merit to booting up that game, but Splatoon 2 very much reworks it in a significant way while adding enough to justify it as a sequel.

Also, I agree. Don't buy Bomberman R until you can get it for about half the retail price. It's five times better than it was at launch, but it's still not amazing and is very much held back by P2P online, the local play with friends is legit now though.

• While the Switch isn't appealing to me at all, it's basically what the WiiU was supposed to be; A portable home console.

But I think the main draw is mostly a few games like Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario. Because that's what you get a game system for, the games. A lot of people love Nintendo, Zelda and Mario.

• I really have no idea, I guess it's the hybrid function of being handheld and home console in 1, but for me that's pretty irrelevant, for me it's always about the games, and so far the Switch's library is bad imo, that will change in the coming months though. The only reason I already have one is to make sure I'm ready when Mario comes ut, as there is no guarantee I will b able to find a Switch next month, and the Mario Bundle is out of question due to having the game only included as download anyway.
    But really I don't see why it sold so well as it did.

• @binarymelon Well Splatoon 2 isn't on any other systems and from what I've been told by people who play it, it's really a big improvement. As for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Breath of the Wild, they just look and play better on Switch. Not to mention you can take them on the go. And in the case of MK8D, it comes with all of the new course DLC which is pretty rad.

• For starters I think the biggest issue here is that no matter what ppl tell you it's not going yo help you. You probably won't hear anything new from ppl that you havmt heard already. You don't see value in it and that's okay. Many ppl do. It's no different from you trying to understand why ppl like collecting or have interests in completely bizarre hobbies or in infatuated by other ppl.

I'm not sure why ppl are so negative towards the switch. It's a great system.

I'm not big into Nintendo like others and I enjoy it.

I think the simplest way to look at it is, do the games appeal to you? If not, oh well don't get it.

If they do, get it.

My biggest reason for getting one is that it's quick and easy to use wherever and whenever I want followed with an interest in playing Nintendo exclusive games.

I think the more mysterious and important
    question here is,

Why would anyone want an Xbox one?

• I've been really quite lucky over the years and had the means to buy whatever PC and console i've wanted but while I have and will always be a PC gamer(MMOs for the last 18 years), Nintendo have always been my main console.
    The Switch is no different, but now I really wish I could play all my games on it. Its perfect for my way of life nowadays and my kids love it too. For me Nintendo really is hitting a homerun this year with the great first party and indie beauts on the system.
    I think what many people dont realise(or for some reason dont WANT to realise) is that while it may not have the raw grunt of the Microsoft and Sony consoles it is a beautifully efficient system that is compatable with modern engines. Its a very well made bit of kit overall, even if a very small percent seem to of bent. I think people labelling it as a Gimmik, is a diservice to how good the system is.

• Thank you all. This has been very helpful. It is great to see so much support for this system and to have a better understand why people find it appealing. Regardless of the fact that I don't see $300+ of value in the system I'm glad others do. Hopefully this translates to a price reduction or more great games. I would love to play through Odyssey and maybe someday I will on the Switch. If not hopefully I can play it on the next Nintendo console. I hope no one has any hate towards me for not seeing the value in it they see. Heck, I paid $300+ for my Vita and still see more value in it today. The great games on the Wii U plus its new mod community make it worth more than a Switch to me currently. I think I understand the Switch just fine now and maybe I was trying to find something that wasn't there. However, I'm still surprised that it's selling as well as it is. Really, I just wish it was more comfortable to use and wish its online infrastructure was better.

• @CGamor7

Rare Replay

• @Mbun Pretty much the only reason to keep my XB1, lol.

• It's a high quality, stylish piece of hardware, that's both a home console and a portable system. And the 1st party stable of games that you're not going to be able to play anywhere else. That's a killer combo.

The PSP/Switch comparison doesn't work. The Switch was built from the ground up with both home and portability in mind. PSP wasn't. You're going to get the latest Doom and Wolfenstein on Switch. Will it look as good? Obviously not. Does that mean that we can expect all 3rd party games to work on Switch? Obviously not. But the gap isn't as big as the PSP to PS2. This is still a high quality piece of tech. Just because you could make a PSP work on TV, in no way is it a home console, because it wasn't designed to be a home console.

• @El-Shmiablo said in What makes the Nintendo Switch such an appealing system?:

It's a gimmick.

so is VR and "muh 4K".

there's nothing wrong with gimmicks. The Switches gimmick makes sense which is why it's successful

• @El-Shmiablo said in What makes the Nintendo Switch such an appealing system?:

child friendly tablet

-Doom
    -Wolfenstein II
    -child friendly
    -kek.

• So far it's appealing to the Nintendo hardcore

• @Yoshi Ok.
    Sorry to have rustled your jimmies.
    If you actually pay attention to the rest of the post and read the things that didn't activate your almonds, I say that the Switch is still legit and I am very interested in it.
    And yes, the console with the phone app that can lock your child out of certain games or limit their playtime, and has no voice chat out of the box is child friendly.
    Calm down.

• I'm not entirely sure to be honest. Personally I think its library is extremely weak, even looking well into next year. As a portable, my Vita is 10 times better for me; It has access to a wealth of fantastic PS1 and PSP games, a great set of exclusives and is also overloaded with the best indies as well. I can't even use my Switch as a kind of tablet subsitiute either as it's missing even some of the most basic functions you'd expect. The fact that I don't like Breath of the Wild means mines just sitting there now until Mario.

• @Sheria what do you mean? the library of both current and upcoming titles is shitloads better than what the Wii U had on it by this point in its life during launch year.