What makes the Nintendo Switch such an appealing system?

• @ZyloWolfBane Most modern consoles have bad launch lineups. It's not something exclusive to Nintendo.

• I do like the convenience of the Switch, but I'm trying to find a game I want to buy from the current lineup and nothing is grabbing me. Loving Octopath though. Can't wait for that to release. Something else bugging me is when I'm playing in handheld mode I can't help but wonder why the screen isn't bigger. So much unused space. I hope it wasn't just so they could release a new model later on with a bigger screen.

• @Torigasa-Reta so what?

currently Switch has a bunch of great titles like Zelda, Mario + Rabbids, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe & Pokken Tournament DX. a bunch of 3rd Party and indie titles.

people are picking it up because they like these games and also because they know that highly anticipated games they want like XC2 and Mario Odyssey are just around the corner.

i don't buy a console just because of things sitting on the shelf right now. i buy a console with one or 2 games for it, and make sure that a bunch of other stuff that i want for it are coming out soon after i buy it.

i'm not one those people that demands "it must have exactly 20 games that i want sitting on the shelf before i buy it!". because if i did that then i'd have not only a console to pay off, but also 20 games to pay off all the in the one transaction. i'd rather pace myself and not blow all of my money in one go.

• @Mbun said in What makes the Nintendo Switch such an appealing system?:

@ZyloWolfBane Most modern consoles have bad launch lineups. It's not something exclusive to Nintendo.

Didn't say otherwise, but claiming the Switch is an improvement over the Wii-U is silly. Anything is an improvement over the Wii-U.

• @Minamik said in What makes the Nintendo Switch such an appealing system?:

@Sheria How about when we get remasters of all the Fatal Frame (Project Zero) games, including reworked controls for 2 Wiimake and 4 that never came out in the west?

According to the teachings of Master Huber, if I believe in it hard enough, it'll happen! :p

It's a very nice thought :3 That said, I've always been content with the originals of things to be honest, and thankfully I do have them all.

• @Yoshi said in What makes the Nintendo Switch such an appealing system?:

@Torigasa-Reta so what?

currently Switch has a bunch of great titles like Zelda, Mario + Rabbids, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe & Pokken Tournament DX. a bunch of 3rd Party and indie titles.

people are picking it up because they like these games and also because they know that highly anticipated games they want like XC2 and Mario Odyssey are just around the corner.

i don't buy a console just because of things sitting on the shelf right now. i buy a console with one or 2 games for it, and make sure that a bunch of other stuff that i want for it are coming out soon after i buy it.

i'm not one those people that demands "it must have exactly 20 games that i want sitting on the shelf before i buy it!". because if i did that then i'd have not only a console to pay off, but also 20 games to pay off all the in the one transaction. i'd rather pace myself and not blow all of my money in one go.

I personally love that the Switch is doing well, extremely pleased actually, it's great to see. I'm still surprised though. The Wii U was floating new Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Xenoblade and Bayonetta games in front of our noses at this point of its life, and hardly anyone was biting. I just don't really see what the Switch is offering to cause such a drastic difference in sales and interest. Surely it can't just be Zelda, it's not even an exclusive either.

• @Sheria well Switch is also floating new Mario and Xenoblade in front of our noses like Wii U was.

it may not have Donkey Kong and Bayonetta announced for it yet but it does have Metroid Prime 4, Kirby, an actual console Fire Emblem and the best one of them all, my Yoshi title all announced and waiting for it.

and Kirby is coming out in Spring 2018 so after Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade come out, we don't have long at all to wait until the first major 2018 1st IP title comes out in this case being Kirby.

and after playing and loving Metroid Samus Returns, i'm even more excited for Metroid Prime 4 than i was when it first got announced.

The Metroid series has returned, the galaxy is at peace...

• @Yoshi You are aware that I bought my Switch when I got a chance just to be ready for Mario and Xenoblade?

• @Torigasa-Reta no but it still doesn't change that Switch has a better launch lineup than Wii U ever did.

• Banned

I honestly don't see the appeal in it, hardware wise.

I guess I'm just at that age where I don't need or want to play video games when I'm out and about.

It's good for kids tho. They need handhelds to keep them occupied. I'd buy one if I had a son or daughter.

• @Art Depends on the age of the kid. Honestly it's kinda expensive and fragile to trust your kid to lug around without getting stolen or damaged. It's more for adults. I'd probably give my kid a N3DS instead. Back in high school one of my friends went through 4 stolen DS-line systems that he kept in his backpack before he gave up and stopped buying them. At least with systems that fit in your pocket they're a little safer from theft. Kids are dicks.

• @Art for kids? Haha please! Wait until your a new parent or a parent who likes to play games in general. It's great to have around.

Gaming after becoming a parent Kotaku

Another one from kotaku specifically Destiny 2 but she mentions using the switch

• @Sheria said in What makes the Nintendo Switch such an appealing system?:

I just don't really see what the Switch is offering to cause such a drastic difference in sales and interest. Surely it can't just be Zelda, it's not even an exclusive either.

Better marketing. People actually know what the Switch is, versus the confusion surrounding the Wii U.
    Add to that a launch Zelda game (even if it was also on Wii U) and the ability to take it on the go, and it all makes sense.

• @Inustar plus having 3 mario games in the first year probably helps alot too.

• Banned

@CGamor7 Well, I'm not a big gamer that has to play every hit release. I play less then a handful every year, but that's just me. I'm very picky.

• I think a lot of the success of the Switch comes down to its portability appealing to people who grew up with Nintendo games and systems. So many people who I went to school with who have long since stopped gaming have picked up the Switch because they know it allows them to play Nintendo titles on the go without them feeling second tier like traditional Nintendo handheld console titles.

Also it has one of the strongest year one line ups of games I have ever seen.