Is it okay to form an opinion about a game without finishing it?

• @El-Shmiablo Let it go Shmibble.

• I'm on the side of, if you're judging a game based on it's story, content, etc, then you need to finish the game to have a valid opinion.

However, if the issues you have with the game are purely mechanical or it's just not to your tastes then it doesn't take much effort or time to figure that out, so long as your opinion isn't flat out "This game sucks".

But that's just me.

• It's unreasonable to think that someone has to beat a game they don't like to say that they don't like it. Of course you're going to stop playing a game you don't like; there are better things to spend your time on. You rarely need to see a game from start to finish to form an opinion on it. I would expect a professional reviewer to finish a game before publishing their review, but the average player doesn't need to finish a game to have an opinion.

• What it really boils down to is, do you personally hold this person's opinions in high regard pertaining to a subject? As we know we all can have opinions about stuff we didn't even know existed till we are made aware of them. I think it is fair for Brad to tell Brandon that he won't acknowledge his opinion personally until Brandon has finished the game. Now it is equally ok for Brandon to write the game off as something he doesn't like. We just have to learn that there are different opinions and not get really upset about them. As long as you don't make it personal. As we saw, funny things can come about as a result of people holding passionate opinions about certain games, Trial of Kyle Bosman for one.

• Global Moderator

You will definitely have an opinion and an impression of the game (in fact I think it would be hard not to one), but you do need to acknowledge if your impression/opinion is based on an incomplete experience, as there will likely be context that you may be missing out on.

Let's take Final Fantasy XIII, it takes somewhere in the range of 20-30 hours to get to a point where the game opens up and you can genuinely play around with team compositions.

People who quit before reaching gran pulse will not have that experience, and they'll miss out on moments of the game being actually engaging, but they've also had 20-30 hours of the game and many of the games system's should be really familiar to them by that point, even if not all of them are.

• Okay, now Brandon said he thought Final Fantasy was a good game, just not one that connected to him, didn't he?

That is a perfectly fair opinion, especially for someone with so many games to play. Why spend more time with a game that doesn't immediately spark your interest? For a lot of us with more time, or less games to take our interest, I would always recommend spending a few hours with any RPG. I just can't fault Jones for it though.

• @Inustar I remember he said something about that FF7 didn't feel like a Final Fantasy. I do really hope to hear Brandon's thought on it since I think it has everything that a Final Fantasy has.

• If you feel like that no, this game isn't for me at some stage, I don't think you should be forced to sit through it, even if the game is considered classic. Considering that there are so many games these days, and there is no way for you to finish them all, you should just play the games you like, as long as you like. Unless you make review of the game, of course, that's when you NEED to play it, good or not.

• As far as I'm concerned you can have an opinion of something and not have experienced it however I'm going to take the opinion of someone who played through a game far more seriously than the person who has watched a video or played a small bit.

• I think it's fair to form an opinion on a game without finishing it. If somethings is not connecting for you then it's fair enough to say it's not for you, regardless of the late game. Even if the end is phenomenal but it was a massive slog to get there, overall I would say say that the game is still poor overall.

I believe this to still holds true in a professional sense too for reviews, as it's more the reviewers opinion themselves I look out for, and if I respect their opinion or share a similar one. For example a review from a reviewer who hates JRPGs I'm not going too pay too much attention too, especially if they dislike it, as it's not there thing. Whereas if a reviewer who loves them dislikes it I will, even more so if it's states they couldn't play it through to the end.

• Depends on what opinion you are putting across.

What Brandon was saying was fine - he hasn't got into Final Fantasy VII and it didn't appeal to him. No problem.

However, I have run into people (including some of my close friends) who like to really crap on games and claim they are through-and-through rubbish yet they've never played or even seen much of. That's not okay, not at all.

• Its totally okay to form that opinion, but where you might voice that opinion is the one that matters.

If your going to start slamming a game you've never played on a review for a website...that's pretty bad.

With your friends on break at work? Yeah, probably.

It's subjective, so as long as you are confident in your reasons. But if someone tries to expand your understanding, feel open to discuss it and change your mind.

• I mean it depends on the game and how far in you got. Obviously you wouldn't have gotten the jist of Person 4 by only playing the first hour. But I think you can get a sense of whether or not a game is for you without finishing it. Generally speaking the ending doesn't make the game, it's the journey. And if the journey isn't much fun or compelling then you don't have to force your way through.

• Like many have said before I think its fine to form an opinion of a game, or anything really, with little to no actual experience of said game or what have you. If I see a trailer for an RTS game I probably won't be interested just because of the game style. Or if a game is a horror game, I might not be interested just because of the genre. In these regards my opinion is still valid but doesn't hold as much weight as someone who played the game to completion.

In the case of Brandon and FF VII i think his opinion carries some weight, he has at least tried the game but would lose interest quickly, which I feel is fair. Personally, when stating an opinion I think it's mostly important how you state said opinion. As long as you're being honest about what you've experience and how you feel about that expereince I think your in the clear.

• @Musou-Tensei yup spot on. I've played enough of FarCry 2 for example to know that it is the worst and most fundamentally awful "AAA" game I have ever played. No need to punish myself, I have a life and have better things to do. My assessment is valid. Critics on the other hand need to cover all ground before publishing anything. Those are the rules if you ask me.

• Also DEAD @ the Yoshi comment El, but let it go aha. You must find more purpose in life than to chastise Yoshi 😂

• @michemagius I think, even then, it's okay to have that opinion about Persona 4. If Persona 4 failed to keep your attention for the first hour, then you can criticize it for that. The devs might need to do a better job at engaging the player in the first hour to address this person's criticism.

It's a valid opinion, even if that person thought Persona 4 was more actiony when it's actually more about story and dialogue than the RPG fighting. Devs would want to know about all sorts of audience for the next game.

• I still disagree with everyone who are saying you can have a valid opinion on a game that you haven't finished.

The main reason is if you play the 1st 10% of a game and then say this game isn't good and you stop playing it based on that you are simply assuming that the rest of the game is the same therefore is a bad game.

If you do not finish a game:

• You have no clue what the story will bring.
    • You have no clue what other characters there is later on.
    • You have no clue what the rest of the game's world/setting has in it.
    • You have no clue if the gameplay/combat would of improved with depth later on.
    • You have no clue what other type of music the rest of game has.
    • Plus any other aspects of the game you really have no clue what they are really like.

If you do not finish a game you are basically just making assumptions of what the game really is like but you simply do not know. It's like looking at the front cover of a game and dismissing it just because you don't like the artwork it's ridiculous.

I'm sorry but your opinion is simply not a valid one if you have not finished it, you cannot say that a game was bad like Brandon did because he gives no good reasons to why he did not like it expect for liking FF6 more.

If however you did finish a game then you are entirely entitled to say how bad/good each aspects of the game is as you experienced it all. You cannot do this after only playing a small part of the game as you are only assuming that it is bad/good.

If many people are saying that a game is great/amazing and that you should play it like for example with FF7 then you tried for 1hr so did not finish it and you did not like, you have no clue whether or not you would of liked it if you carried on and if you did finish it in end maybe your opinion would of changed. This has happened several times to me with games, anime and tv series I stopped after a few episodes or hrs of playing and found them to be average at best but when I eventually went back to finish them they ended up being some of best experiences I ever had. Some however did not improve and ended up being bad still but then my opinion is totally valid as I can say why I did not like it and give valid reasons to which parts or aspects of it that led to me coming to that conclusion.

Remember a game that has not been finished that you did not like can always change your opinion when you do in fact finish it.

But a game that you did finish and did not like cannot change your opinion as there is nothing left to change your mind.

• @ZellosWilder said in Is it okay to form an opinion about a game without finishing it?:

I still disagree with everyone who are saying you can have a valid opinion on a game that you haven't finished.

The main reason is if you play the 1st 10% of a game and then say this game isn't good and you stop playing it based on that you are simply assuming that the rest of the game is the same therefore is a bad game.

If you do not finish a game:

• You have no clue what the story will bring.
    • You have no clue what other characters there is later on.
    • You have no clue what the rest of the game's world/setting has in it.
    • You have no clue if the gameplay/combat would of improved with depth later on.
    • You have no clue what other type of music the rest of game has.
    • Plus any other aspects of the game you really have no clue what they are really like.

If you do not finish a game you are basically just making assumptions of what the game really is and you simply do not know. It's like looking at the front cover of a game and dismissing it just because you don't like the artwork it's ridiculous.

I'm sorry but your opinion is simply not a valid one if you have not finished it, you cannot say that a game was bad like Brandon did because he gives no good reasons to why he did not like it expect for liking FF6 more.

If however you did finish a game then you are entirely entitled to say how bad/good each aspects of the game was as you experienced it all. You cannot do this after only playing a small part of the game are you are only assuming that it is bad.

If many people are saying this game is great/amazing you should play it like with FF7 then you try and say you played 1hr of it so did not finish it and therefore you did not like, you have no clue whether or not you would of liked it if you carried on and did so in end maybe your opinion would of changed. This has happened several times to me with games, anime and tv series I stopped after a few episodes or hrs of playing and found them to be average at best but when I eventually went back to finish them they ended up being some of best experiences I ever had. Some however did not improve and ended up being bad still but then my opinion is totally valid as I can say why I did not like it and give valid reasons to which parts or aspects of it that led to me coming to that conclusion.

Remember a game that has not been finished that you did not like can always change your opinion when you do in fact finish it.

But a game that you did finish and did not like cannot change your opinion as there is nothing left to change your mind.

No I disagree entirely. You can infer plenty once you have played a certain amount of time. If the game is full of tone issues then it does not matter if the story improves because what you have played has already demonstrated that the story has major issues at one point.

On the game player front - again - if you have spent enough time, then you can infer things will not deviate. Not many games introduce some sort of gameplay paradigm shift at 75% completion.

For example, 25 hours of Far Cry 2 will show zero deviation from the first 5 hours. The mechanics are consistent: drive, get attacked by hyper aggressive mindless AI, fix your jeep, do mission, gun jam, take 18 needles to gain HP, finish mission, drive back, get ambushed by the same hype aggressive mob that you already killed 5 minutes ago, fix jeep, have a malaria attack, drive, hit zebra, repeat, repeat, repeat. I only have to play a few hours of that consistency to infer that the rest of the game follows suit.