Rank The Significance: Hideo Kojima Edition

• alt text

Greetings Allies! I meant to get this up yesterday but I ended up losing a lot of blood that day and instead chose to relax for the rest of the day. Now that I don't feel woozy, let's start this week with a game director everyone seems to love!

What is it? - A list compiled by the community where voting lasts a week (from Monday to Friday) showing off what we find to be most (and least) significant.

How do I contribute? - Just comment with your list and I'll tally it in post-haste. Your list should have the most significant at the top and go in descending order, with the bottom-most entry being what you care the least about. If you want to explain all of your ranking or some, that's encouraged, although not required.

How does it work? - Similarly to some of the "Best" lists that have been created here, each entry will be assigned a point value. The least significant receives one point, the entry above two points, etc. All entries must be placed in your ranking or your ranking won't be counted. Once you've placed your ranking, no editing will be allowed to avoid confusion.

What is "significance"? - Although this is intended to be more of a personal ranking, you can interpret significance however you wish. Whether that means the game's impact on the industry comes into play, or your inability to even take a crack at the game in question, you are the creator of your own metric for evaluating significance.

If someone's list correctly matches up with the community's list, they receive the right and responsibility to help choose a list in the future. In the event of a tie, that right and responsibility is null and void.

This list was created using Wikipedia and seeing what games he was credited as directing. Cancelled games such as Last Warld are not on the list, nor are games that haven't been released such as Death Stranding. P.T. is included (despite being a teaser) as it is stand-alone and really has no relation to the cancelled Silent Hills - besides the ending trailer. So let's get this party started already!

Metal Gear
    Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
    Metal Gear Solid
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    Snatcher
    Policenauts
    P.T.

• Final Rankings:

108 points - Metal Gear Solid
    103 points - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    97 points - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    67 points - Metal Gear
    63 points - P.T.
    62 points - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    59 points - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    54 points - Snatcher
    53 points - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    42 points - Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
    38 points - Policenauts
    33 points - Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Last user ranking added: parasitepaladin
    Total rankings added: 10

• Alas, another category I have no first hand knowledge in, so my contribution is strictly about my interest surrounding the titles. This could be real world events, story beats, or impact. With that said:

P.T. (The events surrounding this made me a Kojima fan and I'm eagerly anticipated learning more about Death Stranding before making a decision about getting it or not)
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (This is the best ending of the franchise right? I'm an outsider and even I appreciate it)
    Metal Gear Solid (What catapulted the series and Kojima to super-stardom)
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (The demo was a good bait and switch wasn't it?)
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (From what I understand, this is the best game from a gameplay standpoint.)
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Is this the one that's more movie than game or is that every entry in the series?)
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (A full MGS experience that's portable is nothing to scoff at)
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Aside from it being a prequel with a neat Easter Egg, I know nothing of this)
    Metal Gear (The first in what would be one of the most beloved franchises.... okay, the SEED of said franchise)
    Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (This is where it is for being the least talked about Metal Gear
    Snatcher (I have no idea what it is beyond its premise)
    Policenauts (Same as Snatcher, though I do know both games are ones Kojima worked on first before going to Metal Gear

EDIT: skipped over Peacewalker so added accordingly

• MGS3
    MGS2
    MG2: Solid Snake
    MGS
    Snatcher
    Metal Gear
    MGS4
    (haven't played past this line, so ranked by interest)
    Policenauts
    Peace Walker
    Ground Zeroes
    MGSV
    P.T.

• Metal Gear Solid
    Metal Gear
    P.T.
    Snatcher
    Policenauts
    Metal Gear Solid 4

• Hideo Kojima
    Metal Gear Solid
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of liberty
    Metal Gear
    Snatcher
    Policenauts
    P.T.

Some quick notes for those that want to know more.

Hideo Kojima should be the top of the list because he is all things and all things are him.

Metal Gear Solid gets 1st because its the game that did it all. It was a huge success for him and Konami but it was also a shift in video games and how people viewed and played them. This is one of the best games of all time.

2 was good, 3 was good. I dont even remember 4. I feel like this is when you started to feel Hideo's burnout on the series. Let the guy make something else and stop making MGS. He had to keep making these games because he didnt want anyone to ruin them.

Never played the originals. But im sure they are more significant than everything else that follows.

P.T. is literally nothing. Its a concept of a thought. Maybe it could have been something but unfortunately it was canceled so its only relevance is what people project into it.

Peacewalker was boring.

ground zeroes was meh, but it was better than all that follows it.

MGS V isnt Metal Gear Solid. call it anything else but its no different then someone taking MGS skin and creating their own mod. Hideo should have been developing a new IP.

• Global Moderator

One of my favourite games of all time. I honestly feel like this was the culmination of Kojima's work. He was able to do this more self contained story, the bosses were great, the freedom and control the player had was just so much fun. Add in the subsistence version and it's just fantastic. And greatest ladder of all time.

Metal Gear Solid
    I think you can actually say that this game was truly a defining moment in games. As a complete package, it just brought the standard up so much and captivated the minds of so many people. I always loved games but this was the moment where they meant more to me.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of liberty
    MGS2 has this weird history now. I'm still not really sure what the consensus is on it. For me, I was incredibly hyped for it, I'm not sure I'll be that hyped ever again and it honestly delivered. It just felt absolutely huge to me and the leap in the technology from MGS1 was just insane. Also, the european version had a few cool extras like a boss rush mode and European Extreme difficulty so the amount of times I played through it was insane, might be my most completed game.

I know people love to hate on this game and with good reason but I cannot help but love how good the gameplay actually is. MGS has never felt so incredible to play. The loop of dropping in, fultoning everything you see, collecting data, interrogating enemies etc along with being able to do it whenever you wanted and seeing the enemies adapt to things you did was just so cool to me and I loved that the whole enviroment felt real. Like when they called for reinforcements, those are the people from the other camp. And that really sums it up, the systems in this game were just so great to me.

There was a stage I thought this might be my favourite game of all time but of course the game does suffer the further you get into it with the cuts and just higher difficulty missions. So that of course leaves a sour taste but I can't deny I enjoyed it so damn much.

P.T.
    An absolutely amazing teaser that will always be remembered now due to the story. I think if you actually look at the game itself, it's a very intense, short and slightly frustrating experience (come on now, getting the ending is a pain) but it looked so incredible and how it was dropped and revealed another game was incredible, especially with the talent on board. What a pity with how things ended.

At time of release, I was a complete MGS fanboy and declared this the greatest thing I'd ever experienced. As time went on though, I saw some sense and began to realise the game is just far too self indulgent, has the worst bosses in the series and goes way too far to try and tie everything up, even things that didn't need it at all. I still like this game and played it before 5 came out and was actually surprised with how much I enjoyed it but the core MGS game kinda goes out the window from Chapter 3 onwards which is what bothers me so much.

Whenever I think of Peace Walker, I honestly can't decide how much I actually liked it. I thought the comic cutscenes and QTEs were really cool, the overall story was a bit... eh, it transferred really nicely to a portable device and the co op was fun. But playing this as a single player experience, it's fine really. I think I'd have had a much better time if I played it with friends as opposed to later in the HD collection.

Even though this is low on the list, I actually like GZ a lot. It gives us a nice taste of what to expect, it provided a lot of replay-ability to me personally and it setup the events for The Phantom Pain really nicely. That said, I can't avoid the fact that you were essentially paying for the demo to TPP.

This along with Metal Gear, I've barely put any time into so I just can't properly rank them.

Metal Gear
    Above comment.

Snatcher
    I just don't know much about it really.

Policenauts
    Like Snatcher, I only know of really, can't talk much about it.

• Snatcher
    Metal Gear Solid
    Metal Gear
    Policenauts
    P.T.

• This was surprisingly hard list to put together, but I managed to do so. I love the Metal Gear series, yet I doubt that without Kojima, there will not be any more great games with Metal Gear on title.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - If you ask me, this is Hideo's defining masterpiece. Not only did he bring up several topics, that many people want to avoid talking about, because they're still topical and outright scary, but he also pulled one of the biggest troll moves in gaming. That alone deserves some respect.
    Metal Gear Solid - It's officially One of the Greats, for whole bunch of reasons.
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - I'm highly biased towards this game, and I love it so much. And the ending still makes me cry. After playing through the entire series before playing this game the first time... I grew up with Metal Gear series. And this game marks the end of all the story from previous games. And I just couldn't stop crying.
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - It's great, and easily has one of the best collection of bosses in gaming.
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - I do like the look and feel of the game a lot, and it has plenty of fun things to do.
    Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - It's the framework for the MGS, and it is a solid game in it's own right. Pun intended.
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - It's the culmination gameplay wise. Sadly though, the story is relatively weak, but it's so much fun to play, that I don't mind the missing content THAT much.
    Metal Gear - The original Metal Gear... It's pretty interesting game, and it's success led way for many gems.
    P.T. - It's pretty darn good experience. And it has sparked interest for whole new levels of mindfu**ery
    Snatcher - It's not bad, but I just can't get myself to rise it above any others.
    Policenauts - Pretty much the same as above.
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - Let's just say what it is. It's a glorified demo. Konami charged way too much for it. If it were like 2€ or something more like that, I would rank it just below TPP.

• Metal Gear Solid
    Metal Gear Solid 3 best ending of all time i still cry every time
    Metal Gear invented the stealth genre
    Metal Gear solid 2 first game people bought another game for the demo of
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Snatcher
    policenauts
    PT
    Peace walker
    metal gear 2
    Phantom pain
    GRound Zeros

• as I've played the whole MGS series during this summer here is my list (no nostalgia attached):

Metal Gear Solid 2 - to me this is the high point in Kojima's creativity, a game that people tend to dismiss just because they can't play as Snake which is lame if you ask me. It's attention to detail, post-modern form and story, playing with the gamers expectations it just all comes into what is to me one of the greatest games of all time (one of the most underappreciated as well). It was the only one in the series which was actually surprising and felt inspired in a way the others don't (maybe it's the protagonist which in the beginning I wanted to hate and at the end felt genuinely sorry for)

Metal Gear Solid 3 - it is by far the most polished and even MGS experience throughout. everything is on a very high level - the gameplay, the story, character development, boss fights. To me it comes second just because nothing really stands out as exceptional to me and the ending drags on a bit (I mean how many times do I have to defeat Volgin to actually defeat him?)

Metal Gear Solid - a classic it is, but gameplay wise today feels really and I mean really retro in not a good way. In desperate need of a remaster/remake. Anyways enjoyable and still good story and boss fights. It's significance is huge, but it doesn't hold up as good as the others.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - it's the absolute pinnacle from a gameplays perspective not only within the series, but 3rd person action/adventure games in general. Controlling Big Boss feels like pulling of some crazy combos in Street Fighter - it feels natural, it feels good, it feels badass. Snake can actually run this time! Wow! Mind blown! By comparison the other MGS games feel cumbersome and clunky. It's let down in the story/character department, but the missions structure is still great and the missions themselves keep you on the edge of your seat like no other game.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - yeah yeah I know it's a glorified demo blah blah blah blah. Taken on it's own without the price attached it's still a fantastic game! Yes it's short, but the gameplay is sweet, the cut-scenes are sweet, the stage can be approached in many different ways and is actually well designed. I had a blast when it came out and still have a blast from time to time.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - it's the Metal Gear Solid Call of Duty edition. it's action heavy and just feels off to me as a MGS game. it feels generic and a bit soulless. also the story is a clusterfuck as tying all those loose ends wasn't easy. even with those complaints it's still a great game, just not a great MGS game. oh, points taken away for the piss filter. god it looks ugly!

I'll leave the rest out as I've never played those.

• @parasitepaladin Hey bud, you're missing Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Once you update your list, lemme know and I'll add in your entries!

@slatan-slatanek , same deal, you'll need to list all entries. I understand it's difficult rating something you haven't played, so just a few suggestions for determining its significance - How interested are you in playing it eventually? What have your friends said about it? Do you think the industry remembers the game fondly? Once you edit in all entries, let me know and I'll add your list.

• Metal Gear Solid - It's been said here already but it needs to be said again, this game changed gaming as we know it. One of my favorite gaming memories is staying up all night at a friend's house as we completed this game. I vividly remember the Sniper Wolf fight and hurriedly sneaking bites of pizza when I thought she wasn't going to shoot me.
    P.T. - I don't care if this is a teaser, not only is it one of the scariest things I've experienced in my life, it shows how clever Kojima really is with even something out of the gaming sphere, like marketing. I still have it on my hard drive and show it to unsuspecting friends whenever I get the chance.
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - This game has some major issues yet... I can't help but remember some things fondly. Hunting a bear while Maneater played on my cassette player. Fultoning everything in sight. Figuring out what was causing the sickness on Mother Base. It absolutely fell apart in a lot of ways, but I'm not fully invested in the Metal Gear lore as it is.
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - I want to revisit this one badly. I remember completing it when I was younger, absolutely loving the ending, but I couldn't tell you much about what happens in the middle. That Kojima troll though...
    Metal Gear - Every series needs a beginning. I've watched a playthrough of this and while I find a lot of the design decisions have aged poorly, I can't help but recognize it was doing stuff much differently than other games of the time.
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Maybe it was due to a rental, but I never got very far in this game but I can recognize the impact. I love the attention to detail, like being able to finish the fight with The End if a week passes by, since he dies of old age. Creative stuff like that still isn't being utilized by the industry, it's a shame.
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - I "played" the first hour - meaning I played for about 10 minutes and had exposition thrown at me. I hear the ending is worth it but this game just isn't for me.
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - Portable Metal Gear!... I know nothing else about it, besides it included some base building elements similar to MGSV (?).
    Snatcher - No reference.
    Policenauts - No reference.
    Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - No reference... and considering it's part of the franchise, that speaks to me that perhaps this one is very skippable. That or I've been sleeping under a rock.
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - While there is nothing "wrong" with this, considering the steep price at release for a demo, it set a dangerous precedent I'm glad we haven't seen other companies copy. If this would have been free or much, much cheaper, I wouldn't hold so much against it.

• once again very limited experience having just played two games but oh well

I really really like this game, played it after three and loved it, I had no issues with Raiden and I found it liked it more than 3

Also liked it a lot but I remember I had a hard time going through it, having to start over a couple of times after losing interest.

Not a good representation of my country tbh, but hey it's not like Costa Rica is featured in many games so I'll take it

Gameplay in this really is rock solid, played very little of it

Metal Gear Solid
    P.T.
    Snatcher
    Policenauts
    Metal Gear

• I'll be extending this by one day (seeing as how it started a day late) and also because we have two incomplete lists. @parasitepaladin and @slatan-slatanek , please make your corrections soon so your lists are counted!

• My bad!

Snatcher
    Metal Gear Solid
    Metal Gear
    Policenauts
    P.T.

• Closing this off now. Final rankings!

108 points - Metal Gear Solid
    103 points - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    97 points - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    67 points - Metal Gear
    63 points - P.T.
    62 points - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    59 points - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    54 points - Snatcher
    53 points - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    42 points - Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
    38 points - Policenauts
    33 points - Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Metal Gear Solid taking top spot was a no-brainer. I'm actually surprised that P.T. ranked above MGS4 though, I guess the "last" entry in the timeline isn't as well revered as I thought.

I'll be starting a new list again on Monday. Considering it's the start of October, I'll keep silent on what the subject matter is, but it'll be an uphill battle to the top!

• Metal Gear 2 deserved better.

• @Ringedwithtile many people didn't vote for it because not many have played it. It's easily superior to the first game, and it was the basis for the legendary MGS. The original is good, though many think of the NES port instead of the actual MG, but even compared to that, MG2 is better, but sadly, not played.

• @SabotageTheTruth I see what you did there ;-)