Is this generation better than last generation?

• Hello friends,

In this thread, we talk about how this generation is major improvement of last gen. if so then how? if not then how?

so my dear friends, let me analys this.

first we talk about last generation

In last generation it was the start of consolization and dumbing down of old PC franchise. we got FEAR 2 and 3, Crysis 2 and 3 which suck compare to previous. almost every FPS was COD clone and ever TPS was gears clone, bioshock was dumbed down version of system shock 2 and infinite is worst AAA FPS ever ever made. splinter cell and hitman removed stealth and become bad action games. RPGs become action games with RPG elements like mass effect and dragon age.

now compare to this gen. we got Doom which is better than any game of last gen not named Stalker SoC and raise of modern old school FPS. We got Hitman 2016 that is best stealth game since circa blood money/chaos theory. we got Prey which is better successor of system shock than bioshock ever be. even we are getting 2 system shock games. system shock remake and system shock 3. we got PC CRPG like divinity and pillars of eternity back as last gen there were dumbed down RPG games and they were absent in last gen.

even games like COD is getting back to old roots as WW2. and black flag is much better game than AC2 which imo absolutely suck.

so in conclusion imo this generation is overall better.

so this gen better? or last gen? discuss

• Dude. We get it. You have "great" (See: 4Chan's) taste in games.

Some of my favorite games are from last gen. Dragon's Dogma, Uncharted 2, MGS4, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls/Dark Souls 1+2, LittleBigPlanet 1+2, Batman: Arkham Asylum/City, InFamous 1+2, Dead Space 1+2, Mass Effect 1+2, FarCry 3, CoD MW1+2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV, MvC3, Portal 2, Super Mario Galaxy, Spec Ops: The Line, Burnout Paradise, Journey, Muramasa: The Demon's Blade, Dragon's Crown, Mirror's Edge, The Last of Us, Dishonoured, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Dragon Age: Origins, HL2: Episodes, Red Dead Redemption, Sleeping Dogs, South Park and the Stick of Truth, The Witcher 2, Bayonetta, Vanquish, X-Com: Enemy Within, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc etc etc...

Hell, after actually compiling this list, I'm inclined to believe that last gen was one of the best in gaming.

Either way, all of this is highly subjective. Also, stop being so reductive (and outright hypocritical) about games you don't like. At least explain WHAT made them bad instead of going "hurr durr game sucked amirite guiz? ....guys?".

• I'm a bigger RPG fan than anything else, so my favorite games of each gen are almost always a gen behind because they're on a handheld system like the DS or 3DS.

Objectively between gens not much has changed since the end of the PS3 era other than resolution limits, framerate limits are getting lower instead of higher since pushing fidelity is replacing stability.

A few gems stand out, but not many. The same yearly releases still come out. Many clones of other popular low budget games exist now, Minecraft and Skyrim still keep getting released on newer platforms.

But we are getting more japanese games than we were before, that's an improvement.

So, I'd say while it's not worse than last gen it's worth stating that again not much has really changed.

• @El-Shmiablo
    You expect Black Cell to actually explain and articulate his point? Would you like a billion dollars to just appear in your bank account seeing as your asking for something impossible.

• Not even close. Last gen actually had a diversity of games as opposed to every AAA that isn't multiplayer being homogenized into the open world pseudo-genre where the two biggest gameplay components are 'combat' and 'walking.' Moreover, the first few years of the Wii were great — zero comparison to the Wii U.

Paper Mario was still alive, Metroid Prime was still alive, 3D Zelda games hadn't started to take 5+ years to come out every time. 3D Super Mario games were distinct from the less considered New Super Mario Bros. series. While the Switch has started to remedy some amount of that, you still aren't getting the classic Nintendo singleplayer story campaigns they once knew how to make / commission. Hell, even the Tales series made some great games last gen before they sunk into anime trope hell.

I think the only things that have gotten better this gen are, obviously, the technical ability to make large environments (which almost every RPG/action-adventure developer has just run away with and made only that one type of game since 2013). Then there're Kickstarters and indie games that are making a lot of nostalgia spiritual successors for the nostalgia gamers. I would argue that there aren't that many more original or notable indie releases — you'll remember that Limbo, Bastion, World of Goo, and Journey were all doing just fine in 7th gen.

And of course Sony's first-party and partnered exclusive quality and output has probably gone up since The Last of Us. I don't know how many people loved Resistance and Killzone as much as they did The Last Guardian and the like (of course Sony still has less ambitious titles like Knack, Little Big Planet, and MLB).

• Banned

We go over this every generation cycle.

And the answer is always the same. "LAST GEN WAS BETTER!"

• Yes, but it really helps that Persona 5 is clearly a last gen game.

• Can't generalize that. In case of Xbox, hell no, the 360 was amazing, the XB1 is a wasteland outside backwards compatibility. In case of Sony, hell yes, the PS4 is superior to the PS3 in everything but backwards compatibility.
    Really evens it out.

• No, this gen has done nothing that will be remembered except for VR and probably Destiny whether or not you like it. I've already written a lengthy post about this somewhere on these forums. I'll try my best to recapture what I said. Last gen essentially created a foundation of a lot of new game play concepts and ideas that now just get copy and pasted. Fresh games last gen were AC when it was cool, Oblivion, Fallout, COD4, Mass Effect, Demon Souls and more. What has this generation done that those games did except rehashing them.

If you got into gaming late last gen then maybe I can understand you thinking this one has been better. Especially because by the transition to ps4 everyone was burnt out on PS3 and 360. Games were just cookie cutter of one another.

• Speaking strictly about the games, I'm leaning towards last gen. Its hard to say.. I feel like this generation has had a lot of really great games but nothing that really changed things or pushed the medium like we did last gen. It seems like overall this generation has been about refinement and improving the things we had at the end of the last gen.

I mean just using Call of Duty 4 as an example.. we're still seeing that multiplayer formula being used 10 years later without any really significant changes.

• @CGamor7 said in Is this generation better than last generation?:

If you got into gaming late last gen then maybe I can understand you thinking this one has been better. Especially because by the transition to ps4 everyone was burnt out on PS3 and 360. Games were just cookie cutter of one another.

my friends i have been gaming since 90s. and last gen was worst gen of all time. it was a generation where dumbing down the old classic franchise was a norm back then.

this gen might not been perfect but its more closer to late 90s or early 00s than last gen as we witness the return of old school games.

games like AC, COD4, mass effect or some overrated games are the reason why last gen was bad. COD4 ruined FPS games last gen, AC turn into yearly iteration and still is, mass effect was corridor shooter posed as RPG.

• In all my long-short life I've never encountered a situation where 'dumbed down' meant anything in real terms. It's just some cultural signifier to, I guess, reinforce the egos of the self-described hardcore gamer. By average games get more complex every generation, that still hasn't changed. A Link to the Past has more specific interactions and mechanics to Zelda 1, so did Ocarina, so did Twilight Princess, so did Breath of the Wild. The same is true of most series, meanwhile trends like multiplayer modes, FPS, and open worlds come and go.

• @Black-Cell early 90's or late 90's? I agree that a lot of the games that were popular pre PS3 and 360 era were lost. That generation had some very negative aspects. Like HD completely halting the Japanese game industry in the AAA space. Also the destruction of middle ware games and multiple studios being shut down. This generation had brought a resurgence to some of those aspects because of external and internal factors. The Japanese industry has also slowly crawled out of their technical incompetence with HD to provide some better AAA games.

I also agree that generation was the creation of franchise fatigue.

However, with all thst said, tell me which games this generation outside of VR have provided unique and industry changing experiences?

Please don't say Witcher... because it's not and i assume many ppl will try to say this game. The one and only thing it did well was allow for more interesting stories to be told throughout out your time with it.

Mass Effect might not be your dream RPG but it was definitely well fleshed out uinverse to experience with having characters you cared about. Hadn't seen that before.

Assins Creed had so much wrong with it but it tried something so new that was just waiting to polished. AC II made it better and was fun.

But you can't judge what games after did just because publishers milked it. Your missing the context of history. Your devaluing games because of what came after not what their value meant in the time.

So this gen is better because their creating old stuff you have nostalgia for? Doom I can see as good example, but how is that exactly innovative or industry changing? Beyond that I'm not sure what classic style games have returned unless your into smaller studio games. I guess my point is what in this generation has been so amazing it will be remembered years from now for its innovative tech and gameplay?

Demon Souls in itself makes that generation better lol.

• @Black-Cell Can you elaborate on what exactly makes these games bad or overrated, besides the usual splash of text about being "dumbed down"?

While you may not like CoD, Infinity Ward revolutionized the FPS genre with those games. I will certainly agree that NOW they have milked the franchise into mediocrity, buy CoD in it's prime (from CoD to about MW2) were all very good, well made games.

Mass Effect is probably the first game I can think that married legitimate RPG elements with actually decent action gameplay. I know you yearn for the days of standing in place and mashing hotbars while you wait for skills to cool down, but Mass Effect intentionally eschewed the older style for something more action based. It became somewhat derivative as the series went on, and nobody will deny the ending of 3 wasn't a slap in the face to fans, but ME is yet ANOTHER series that revolutionized it's genre.

Now AC has somewhat of a special place in my heart. My father was a teacher, and regularly told me stories about history instead of bedtime stories, so an action game based on history was sorta my wet dream. The first game wasn't much more than a tech demo, but I still loved the shit out of it. The Ezio trilogy is where things really got good, spanning one of the more devious periods in Roman history. A game where the Bogias were the bad guys? HNNNNG so good.
    I won't try to deny that the combat for the series has been anything but automatic and spawned the "BamHam" style of play, but that is sorta missing the point of AC.

I'm not really expecting you to articulate your opinions on these games (you never do, instead opting to reduce a game to a simply catch all of "casualized" or "dumbed down", but I just felt like expressing my opnions on the games you love to deride.

• You only look through one clouded lens. I'm surprised people still dignify you with responses.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Is this generation better than last generation?:

@Black-Cell Can you elaborate on what exactly makes these games bad or overrated, besides the usual splash of text about being "dumbed down"?

While you may not like CoD, Infinity Ward revolutionized the FPS genre with those games. I will certainly agree that NOW they have milked the franchise into mediocrity, buy CoD in it's prime (from CoD to about MW2) were all very good, well made games.

Mass Effect is probably the first game I can think that married legitimate RPG elements with actually decent action gameplay. I know you yearn for the days of standing in place and mashing hotbars while you wait for skills to cool down, but Mass Effect intentionally eschewed the older style for something more action based. It became somewhat derivative as the series went on, and nobody will deny the ending of 3 wasn't a slap in the face to fans, but ME is yet ANOTHER series that revolutionized it's genre.

Now AC has somewhat of a special place in my heart. My father was a teacher, and regularly told me stories about history instead of bedtime stories, so an action game based on history was sorta my wet dream. The first game wasn't much more than a tech demo, but I still loved the shit out of it. The Ezio trilogy is where things really got good, spanning one of the more devious periods in Roman history. A game where the Bogias were the bad guys? HNNNNG so good.
    I won't try to deny that the combat for the series has been anything but automatic and spawned the "BamHam" style of play, but that is sorta missing the point of AC.

I'm not really expecting you to articulate your opinions on these games (you never do, instead opting to reduce a game to a simply catch all of "casualized" or "dumbed down", but I just felt like expressing my opnions on the games you love to deride.

COD4 was not first infinity ward game. it was COD1 and was better game. COD4 was very overrated and they revolutionize in wrong way. it was overrated because it was very scripted and very linear, almost hand holding, very short. theres the reason most FPS games of last gen was bad. this gen FPS get better again thanks to games like Doom and Prey. plus new Metro will be stalker like and System shock is coming back. last gen was about bioshock which were definitely water down system shock.

AC games are another stale series but this series get better this gen when they released AC4 black flag. its easily best in series but after that game start to suck again. I tried to beat AC2 but couldnot because i was so bored and game looks terrible even for 2009 standard. AC3 that people hated was better game than AC2 imo.

• Yes
    movealong

• alt text

• Global Moderator

I mean one would hope that the answer is a solid yes. By the means that we are developing the right way and games continues to get bigger and better all the time. However, I still think last gen gave me more hours of joy and diversity compared to this generation. I mean it has been really awesome thus far, but the more I play the more I get the feel of a lot being "sameish" with different skins and microtransactions, which really worries me

• Not yet, but it is finally getting there. I feel like this generation took a lot longer than the last to start producing some awesome games