Gaming suggestions, in need of good story.

• Hi, I'll try to be as clear as I can to make sur I can guide you through what I am looking for but first, well I'm new so Hello!

I was a fan in the past of JRPG like Chrono Trigger, FFIV, FFVI and FFVII, however with new games I don't feel that link with the story and character as much. Also the character development is getting a bit too confusing (for me).

I would love a game with a good story and that I can dive into it head on. I tried FFXIV but unfortunatly MMOs are not my types I guess, I don't like things that are repetitive. Are there any good games out there that you can think of?

Favorite games :

• Chrono Trigger
    • FFVI
    • Resident Evil 2
    • Megaman X
    • Castlevania
    • Silent Hill

What I am not looking for :

• GTA
    • COD & Battlefield

EDIT : I'll make a simple list of the games suggestions I had until now so other people can easily try/find them.

Suggestions so far :

- Persona 4
    - Zero Escape Series
    - Legend of Heroes Trails In The Sky
    - To The Moon
    - Valkyria Chronicles
    - Ar Tonelico
    - Ni No Kuni
    - Wild Arms
    - Bravely Default & Second
    - SOMA
    - Radiant Historia

Thanks guys! Love & respect!

• Please try out the Trails games, starting with Trails in the Sky. I don't know how you'll like the story but looking at the games you mentioned I feel like this has a fairly high chance to scratch that itch while also delivering something a bit different.

• Oh ok cool! This was actually on my wishlist but I wasn't so sure because in the past I played Legend of Heroes on PSP but did not like it as much but it was more on the mechanic side. I guess it improved since then?

• @Crono said in Gaming suggestions, in need of good story.:

Oh ok cool! This was actually on my wishlist but I wasn't so sure because in the past I played Legend of Heroes on PSP but did not like it as much but it was more on the mechanic side. I guess it improved since then?

I'm actually not sure then. I thought the battle system in Trails in the Sky(was a PSP game originally) was old school and yet very fresh in certain ways, I'm a downer on things that feel very cumbersome(reason why I have a hard time getting back into Pokemon some menu stuff there urgh...) and I didn't have problems with Trails.

But I don't know depending on what you didn't like it's hard to argue for it.
    I only thought that it's definitely a game that lots of people would be surprised by how well they might connect to the characters and story, especially people craving that old FF itch to journey on an adventure with a group of fun characters.

• @Holundrian Alright, it's worth a try then! I'll go try it out right now, thanks a lot!

• are you looking for new games or classics?

the Trails series is a very good modern(ish) game that captures classic JRPGs
    I'd also recommend Valkyria Chronicles and Persona 4

The Yakuza series has really good character driven story

If you're ok with some fanservice, the Ar Tonelico series has very emotional stories with vast amounts of character interaction and characters you'll definitely be attached to.

• @Sieghardt New would be preferable but I don't mind classics also, I'm just trying to move on lol. I have to admit I never played Persona before, I feel like I really missed something and I don't know where to start with it. I got all consoles though so I might be able to start the series, is it worth it? (I'm on vacations so I have a lot of free times!)

• @Crono said in Gaming suggestions, in need of good story.:

@Sieghardt New would be preferable but I don't mind classics also, I'm just trying to move on lol. I have to admit I never played Persona before, I feel like I really missed something and I don't know where to start with it. I got all consoles though so I might be able to start the series, is it worth it? (I'm on vacations so I have a lot of free times!)

the Persona games are all seperate, just jump in and play 4 right away, it's wonderful, play that before anything else :)

the Trails games are NOT seperate, play Trails in the Sky, the TitS Seconf Chapter, then 3rd chapter comes out in spring, then you can play Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2, it's an epic continuous story set in the same world showing different sides of a vast world and story.

the Ar Tonelico games are also a continuous story, so play them in order of Ar Tonelico -> Ar Tonelico 2 -> Ar Tonelico Qoga -> Ar Nosurge

• @Sieghardt Alright! Thank you much for the info!

• @Crono I would warn you that Persona 4 starts out a bit slow, until you get to the first dungeon, but it is so worth it. :)

• @StuffOnARock Yeah my friend will give me his copy of the game to try and he warned me "believe me, the first three hours will be loooooong." XD

• @Crono
    Give the zero escape series a try. If you have a 3ds I suggest starting with 999. I think it is the most memorable story I ever experienced. You will know those characters, I tell you.
    If you don't own a 3ds and don't intend on getting one, have a look at the second part, which is also on VITA. Virtue's last reward.

• @Krocsyldiphic Yeah I got a 3ds, is it on the online store?

• @Krocsyldiphic Oh I see it's a DS game, I should be able to find it somehow, wow got some serious gaming to do now ^^

• @Crono
    Just checked, unfortunately not. It's only on cartridge. If you happen to live in Munich/Germany I could lend you mine.

• No I live in Canada that's too bad, but I'm sure I'll find it out somehow before tomorrow morning!

• @Krocsyldiphic Do you recommend playing the sequels on Vita or stick to DS/3DS?

• @Crono
    I played Virtues last Reward on VITA since it was 5 bucks for the download version. It played perfectly on VITA. I can not compare it, though. I did not yet play Zero Time Dilemma, but I plan to get it on VITA as well.
    Generally I'd use the VITA especially if you own one of the older devices with OLED. The picture is really sharp and clear and the colors vibrant. Plus it's a lot cheaper on VITA.

• It may be lacking in the gameplay department, but To the Moon has an amazing story. It's cheap on steam and I won't say anything more than that.
    Also the first 3 Silent hills games if you can muster some horror and terrible voice acting!

• @Fridge-man Alright it's noted, as for Silent Hill.. how could I forget it on my list.. finished them all and yes the first 3 were masterpieces. I feel so sad for what happened with the serie though