Gaming suggestions, in need of good story.

• The original Wild Arms for PS1. It's localization isn't the best, but there's a nice little narrative tucked in the game about finding yourself through your troubles. I like the character Rudy a lot, even if he never speaks. Similar to Crono and Serge from the Chrono series, their actions, more than anything, give them life.

Youtube Video

• I'd like to recommend Ni No Kuni if you're a fan of Studio Ghibli films. It has a very whimsical story much like a Studio Ghibli film. I won't spoil it but the opening got me very invested in the story. And the music...

Youtube Video

• @Light @sam776 Thanks for the suggestions! And yes I am a fan of anime, I really like Ghibli films so I will definitly look into it

• Nobody has recommended the Witcher series? Really?

• Global Moderator

Just wondering, are you purely looking at the RPG genre or can it be any game with a good story.

As if it's the latter, I'd highly recommend checking out Spec Ops: The Line and SOMA. Both have fantastic stories but are pretty different in setting and genre. Spec Ops being a third person shooter and SOMA being a first person horror game.

• @tokeeffe9 Also, if you like SOMA, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a good game... (Even though it's pretty much played out, it still does hold up.) Also, in Amnesia, some of the better custom stories are actually Pretty darn good, whilst most are downright stupid or even horrible.

• I feel I'm a bit too late for the party, as you have soooo many suggestions to get on with now ^^

If I may add one though, maybe try Radiant Historia if you ever get the chance, especially if you enjoyed the likes of Chrono Trigger and some of those earlier Jrpg's.

• Undertale and The Stanley Parable just for the clever way they play with player expectation. They both can be a little heavy-handed at times but they definitely explore storytelling in a way only a game can accomplish.

• Final Fantasy X, Mass Effect trilogy and Dragon Age Origins and Inquisition (you can play 2 if you want to know the entire story)

• There is a new RPG named I am Setsuna that's coming out on July 18th. Brad even said it had a Chrono Trigger feel to it. I plan on playing it when it comes out. Here is the Steam link to the game: I am Setsuna

• More Jrpgs Grandia,Suikoden III and Phantom Brave, I love the characters and stories of all of these.

edit : oh, Final Fantasy Tactics

• Mafia 1 has by far best storyline ever in any video game

• I'm taking notes.. some real good suggestions in here!

• Why limit to JRPGs?

Games like The Last of Us and Witcher 3 have great story.

• I would like to restate that Yakuza has a great intriguing story. I've only played through the first one though. I loved it and ate it up. I need to replay it, because I want to get through the entire series. I own up to Yakuza 4.

• I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

Youtube Video

Snatcher

Youtube Video

• @Whoaness Thanks for the suggestions and to everyone else, no I don't limit myself to JRPG, but there are so many games today and some people like me don't have time to follow everything but try to.. so I'm going to highlight the games that I can relate to so people with the same tastes hopefully will find something at their liking.

• @Crimz Oh yes my friend... just found about this game like last week and I was =D it really seems to be "different enough" if you know what I mean, and I think I am Setsuna will be very good. Don't know why I missed it though, might be because I thought it was related to Gundam 00 anime lol..

• @The_Andredal Yup, loved Final Fantasy X, didn't want to play it again since I finished it (it was about when it became a greatest hit) just so I could keep that level of emotion intact I had with that game, now people say voice acting sucks and everything but at the time, those facial expressions were the best thing out there so who cared about voice, well at lease I didn't...^^

EDIT : Did you ever play X2, never did as I didn't feel the appeal.. is it any good?

• I'm going to throw Enslaved: Odyssey to the West into the mix. It was on 360/PS3, but I think it's on Steam too now.

One of my favourite games of last-gen. Doesn't do anything revolutionary in terms of gameplay, but it does it really well. Mix of Uncharted "platforming/climbing" and light hack-n-slash. It's not very challenging so if you want to play for the story, you'll have a really enjoyable time (and you can always crank it up to Hard).

The stand-out really is the world and the story, as well as the acting. It's a gorgeous, colourful post-apocalyptic world dominated by war machines. The characters facial expressions were amazing at the time and still hold up today, Andy Serkis plays the main character if I'm not mistaken.

And the story was written by Alex Garland, who you may know from the awesome movie Ex Machina.

Well worth a shot!