Ace Attorney Allies all rise! Court is now in session!

• Hey guys, just making a little Ace Attorney appreciation thread here. Feel free to talk about anything any everything Ace Attorney! Which of the games are your favorite? Who's your favorite character? Are you hyped for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice? What are your thoughts on the spin offs (i.e. Investigations 1 and 2, and Daigyakuten Saiban)? Is anyone watching the Ace Attorney anime? (Just try to keep spoilers at a minimum for those who haven't played any or some of the games, but still want in on the discussion!)

I'll start off, I've been playing these games since like the summer of 2012. Believe it or not, I first found out about this game when I saw Game Theory used a sprite of Phoenix, and I asked a friend of mine "hey what's the name of the anime that has a lawyer with spikey hair and a blue suit?" Oh, boy. Little did I know that I was high diving into a rabbit hole of one of the greatest (mystery based) logic-puzzle games out there. After my friend told me they were video games, I immediately did my research on the games via let's plays on YouTube and bought ALL of them (except for the investigation games.... although I do plan on playing those now-a-days).

My favorite game is probably a tie between the first one and Trials and Tribulations... I'd say that T&T is a better game overall in terms of story and difficulty, but I owe the original game a lot for it's kick-ass soundtrack and selling me on the entire franchise (not to mention having Edgey be the main prosecutor and having so many memorable moments). It's so hard to decide if Edgeworth or Phoenix is my favorite character, but I'd probably give it to Edgeworth if I had to choose. I'm super sad that Investigations 2 and DGS still have no official translations yet (although, since I bought a copy of both games anyway, I should probably give the fan translation of AAI2 a shot). I also am currently watching the anime, and I love it. I will admit that the pacing of certain things can be off a tad, but I'm just too happy that an anime rendition of these games finally came true (and watching anime Maya run around is enough of a reason to watch it in my opinion). I am hyped for Spirit of Justice (I'll definitely get it)...... but I'm not nearly as hyped as I was for Dual Destinies or Daigyakuten Saiban for some reason (idk why).

• My first game was Dual Destinies. I really liked it a lot, did not play anything else from the series before.
    After that I picked up the trilogy on 3ds.
    I last played today and I am on the last case of Justice for all (the second part).
    Favourite character has to be Phoenix at this point.
    I love the series, it's my favorite visual novel next to the 999 / virtues last reward / zero time dilemma.
    Everyone who reads this thread and has no idea what we are talking about: I urge you to get the games. They are amazing, so much fun. Even if you think that 'visual novel' might sound boring. I don't think you will regret this.

• @Krocsyldiphic Haha, I did exactly the same as you, started with Dual Destinies, loved it, then moved on to the trilogy!

Have any of you played Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright? I picked it up last year and I had a blast, I really recommend it if you also like the Layton series. The story was actually pretty involving too. And the free DLC is hilarious!!

• I absolutely love this series :)

I started with the first remake on DS, but I would have to say that Trials and Tribulations is my overall favourite. I've only played the first Investigations game, but I honestly feel it is up there with the main series.

I'll get hyped for Spirit of Justice when September comes around, but with it now being the second game without a physical release, it's really hurting my willingness to pick it up. (I know I will though)

My series collection:

alt text

• My favourite character is Miles Edgeworth, so I do feel like Ace Attorney Investigations is better than the original series. Mostly it's because of gameplay. Being able to walk around and look at evidence is far more fun. Of course, Edgeworth is a prosecutor, so that's why he gets to walk around first at the scene of crime. I also like Edgeworth's Logic system and the Logic Chess from the second game better than the powers of the Magatama, Apollo's bracelet, and Athena's weird emotion detector.

But if I had to pick one Phoenix Wright game, it would be Ace Attorney 2: Justice for All. This is mostly because of the last trial where Maya got kidnapped and Phoenix was forced through the hardest time of his life in order to save her. You really feel that all of Phoenix Wright's friends and rivals come together to help him, using every trick and loophole they can to stall time. This trial had so many tense moments and great plot twists.

• @Axel yeah, I played Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, and I loved that game too. However, I do think that the game has some flaws, particularly with the main plot (I'm still salty with the twist at the end, even if it is Layton-esque) and how the characters Barnham and Greyerl were under utilized when it seemed like the plot was calling greater action from them. But I loved the setting and the nature of the cross over, and thought the witch trials were fantastic. Also, just checking you played Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, right? I feel like this game gets overlooked a lot, but it introduces one of the main characters for Dual Destinies (aka Apollo), plus I thought it was a pretty great game regardless. Also quick question, how was it starting from Dual Destinies? Like did it feel like you were missing anything at all or would you say it's a good access point for those getting into the series?

@Sheria, I actually didn't know that the game was digital only, but I don't think that'll bother me too much. If you don't mind my asking why does the fact that it is digital only make you (or others for that matter) somewhat hesitant to pick it up?

@Whoaness, yeah that case was fantastic in my opinion. Definitely up in my top 5 cases throughout the entire series!

• @DarkenRaul1 Nope, I never played Apollo Justice, I was too late to the party and I don't think I can find the game anywhere near me now. Maybe if they port it to 3DS like the original trilogy, but I highly doubt that will happen :(

It was alright starting with Dual Destinies, they introduce the game mechanics pretty well so I didn't feel overwhelmed, but clearly I missed some plot points and some returning characters had no impact for me. Actually I'm tempted to play it again now, since I forgot most of it, and I'll probably appreciate it more!

• @Axel, well at the very least you can get Apollo Justice: Ace Attorny on Amazon for a fairly reasonable price. Pretty sure you could find it even cheaper on eBay as well. That being said, I really do hope that it gets a 3DS remake. It and the Investigations games are the only ones still not on the system which is a shame in my opinion. (fingers crossed they make a second HD trilogy of those 3 games with an official localization for Investigations 2...)

• I've played the first two games, 5 and Daigyakuten Saiban.
    Far and away my favourite is the final one on that list.
    The new setting frees everything up as they don't need to make sure every single pre-existing character gets an appearance just for the sake of appearing.
    They also do a lot of very clever things with the characters (the portrayal of Sherlock Holmes is hilarious) and the story ends on a sort of cliffhanger so I imagine it's not going to be a one-off.
    Here's hoping it gets localised someday, although I pity whoever has to do that job!

• @DarkenRaul1 I heard so many good things about Investigations 2, a lot of people say it's the best in the series, so I'd love to try it someday.

Unfortunately, I can't buy physical games these days, I've got a European 3DS but now live in Singapore where they use US systems. Region-locked, can't buy any 3DS or Wii U games here... And shipping costs are insane from Europe. So I can only wait for friends to visit me and make bulk orders! :D

@Carpainter Oh yeah that's the one set in the 19th century, right? It looks sooo cool! Is there a fan translation, or do you speak Japanese?

• @Axel Yeah it's set in the Meiji period, just as the West and Japan were finally starting to get on good terms.
    I speak Japanese (I actually work in localisation hence the comment about how I pity anyone that tries to translate it haha).
    It's full of jokes referencing Japanese literature from the time and one of the characters that appears in it is an actual Japanese author.
    I do remember reading about someone trying to start a fan translation for it, but it would take an eternity for anyone just doing it as a hobby.

• @Carpainter Wow yeah, sounds pretty much impossible to localise it then. They could always do a literal translation and have people miss half the jokes or do their own research to get it, but that's rarely how it goes.

Actually, that reminds me of a very interesting article I read a couple years ago, written by one of the people responsible for the localisation of Ace Attorney games. It's a fascinating read, and I guess you will probably recognise yourself in it, if that's your job too ;)

Here it is: Localization and Ace Attorney

• @Carpainter, I'm really looking forward to playing that game myself just because of all the new game mechanics that Shu Takumi created as well as the very cool settings and interesting characters. I've only studied Japanese for like 2 and a half years now so I've been holding it off as long as possible to get my level higher so I wouldn't have too much of a hard time playing it.

Also I'd be so happy if they ever decide to localize it. There's apparently just been a lot of complications both at Capcom USA and Capcom of Japan for some reason (one of the directors actually stated in an interview how often he's asked by Westerners on when the game will come here and while he said he wants to they just can't right now for whatever reason....). And yeah, you're right. This game is supposed to be the first of another trilogy from what I've heard.

• @Axel Yeah I had seen that before, but it's a great article! I think you need to be a bit crazy to do the job since it can be pretty thankless, but there's nothing else I'd rather be doing.

@DarkenRaul1 That's cool that you're studying the language! I studied it for four years in university and have been living here for a while now so I didn't have too many problems with it. But I remember trying to play games as early as my first year at uni and that did not go well hahaha. They have a lot of silly jokes in the game where they'll write kanji for something and the furigana will be an English word. Best example that comes to mind is 淑女 and the furigana is レディ.

• Global Moderator

A bit of fun from Game Theory:

Youtube Video

• @Carpainter, that's awesome. I'm still going to do a little extra studying since I'm a little rusty these days (and kanji is still a nightmare for me) before tackling it. I really want to sit down and do my own translation of the original trilogy (I have the HD remake on 3DS) write down words I don't know and study from that...... I've just been really lazy this summer lol

@Ochi uh-oh, shots fired lol. You should see the Ace Attorney subreddit right now. Everyone was up in arms from this video, posting counter arguments and discrediting MatPat left and right. Personally, I think this was his weakest video yet, but I don't really care too much honestly.

• Hey, so Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice is coming out this week, who's picking it up? Day one for me, I can't wait!

• Counting the days :)

• @Axel @Sheria No, guysss Don't you get it!? "Crapcom makes no games." Say it with me, now...

• So I got the game last night but didn't have much time to play, hopefully this weekend I can properly dig in!

Also, small PSA: there's a free costume DLC available now until 14th September, so grab it while you can if you're interested.