Must Play Games

• My interest for this was sort of sparked by the podcast and Brad's belief that Brandon needs to finish FFVII.
    What games do you think should be played all the way through or at least a significant chunk played? Specifically I wonder which games are those that anyone who loves games should play, similar to saying everyone should see Star Wars or read Shakespeare.

As an anime fan, I have had this conversation a lot. Never was fond of Evangelion, but consider it one every anime fan should watch.

So these don't have to be your favourites, but are obvious games to be played. Mario and Zelda are obvious ones I would say.

• Global Moderator

Dark Souls
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Halo
    Super Mario Bros, 64, etc
    Bethesda Open world rpg (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, or NV)
    Grand Theft Auto 3 and up
    Bravely Default (first playthrough)
    Diablo 3
    Star Craft story mode
    TellTale Adventure game (Probably Walking Dead and up)
    Bioware rpg: Kotor/Mass Effect etc
    Street Fighter
    Resident Evil 4

I could honestly go on, but I'd consider this a pretty wide breadth of games from which people can get a good understanding of most of modern gaming.

• I really don't think that you "should" play something specifically, just because it is expected from you. It is completely a matter of your own preference. Some games simply aren't your cup of tea. Play what you want to play.
    People will probably listi some great games that moved move the boundaries of the industry and are still considered great games, but if you missed the boat, don't feel like that you need to catch up.

• Ms. Pac-Man
    Defender
    Outrun
    Dragon Quest
    Metroid

(also I'd probably put Star Wars pretty low down on my list of what people should see)

• I think that everyone, who is interested in videogame storytelling should play:
    Deus Ex - One of the best games, that has multiple choices. Only thing that haven't aged well is graphics.
    Journey - Just hop in, experience it, and love it.
    Brother: Tale of two sons - This is just how you tell a story with this media.
    Undertale - Some of the fans of this game are just the worst, but the game is actually good.
    Chrono Trigger - Time travelling story done right. A great RPG as well. And it's actaully not as long as most RPG's so if you're afraid having to play like 50+ hours for one playthrough, no worries on this one.
    Spec Ops: The Line: This may seem like a sub par shooter, which it technically is, but the story... Let's just say that it's worth for playing through once.
    Shadow of the Colossus - A phenomenal game... I suggest you at least play through this before going into The Last Guardian, and if you want, Ico is also a good game.
    Portal - Funny, yet clever physics puzzler.

I know there are plenty of games missing, but these are the ones that popped to my mind when thinking about this topic.

• There's decades worth now, so I can't elevate just the odd single game to that level. I have the book "1001 video games you must play before you die" by Tony Mott which is good for that kind of thing, but even that misses a fair few I would say deserve it. It's also getting rather old now, so needs updating.

I mean you have everything from your Pacman and Tetris to your Dark Souls and Portal. So yeah, I have a LOT to recommend ^^

• Global Moderator

When I think of 'Must Play' games, I'm thinking for that genre. When Brad was saying Jones should finish FFVII it's because Brandon has already played a bunch of games in the FF series.

It's be similar to someone saying they loved Dark Soul's and another saying you have to play Bloodborne.

That's the only way to sum it up for me as I think debating actual must play games of all time is just too difficult. You'll get answers from Pong to The Last of Us.

• I thought of this recently, and decided to go grave digging once more, and decided to bring this topic now back to life :D
    Also, decided to add the wikipedia link to the book in case you are interested to know what titles made it into the book.

But without further ado, let's keep adding games to this discussion:

• Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective.

One of the best game on DS, which is also available on iOS. Great game that has fun story and great mechanics to play with. It's by the people who made the Phoenix Wright series, so it has the similiar humor, but this game has more gameplay than Ace Attorney games ever had, so if you didn't feel the minimal gameplay of AA, this is definitely worth checking out.

• @jipostus I've really wanted to play Ghost Trick, it is the kinda thing that makes me sad is only available for DS, since I generally don't like playing on that thing.

To add something to this, I feel like Nier, yes the first one (haven't played Automata yet), is a game that anyone that likes stories in games should play, it is by no means perfect, but it is so amazing at what it does that I just think it should be experienced by anyone invested in the medium.

• ^while I wouldn't call Ghost Trick a "must-play" using my definition below, I will say that Ghost Trick is absolutely phenomenal. It is one of the best games on the DS, and one of the best video game stories of all time coupled with some really nice puzzle gameplay that fits the mood perfectly. 9/10

I'm a big, big fan of the "historical value" of games, and seeing how things have evolved over time. I think that any "hardcore gamer" in the sense of "video games are my passion" and not just "video games are a big hobby of mine" should play landmark titles such as:

Super Mario Bros 1
    Super Metroid
    Super Mario 64
    LoZ: OoT
    Metal Gear Solid
    Half Life
    Final Fantasy IV or VI (I still can't decide)
    Final Fantasy VII
    Resident Evil
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Star Craft

Those are the ones that come to mind immediately. There are plenty more to be sure, but each one of those titles was not simply a great game, but monumental to the industry itself.

• @jipostus if that book was released in 2010 how is dark souls in it

• @FF7Cloud
    I have no idea... Perhaps the writer knew ahead of time that the "sequel" to demon's soul would be a must play game?

Also listed in that book apparently o_O :
    BioShock Infinite, 2013
    Year Walk, 2013
    Far Cry 3, 2012
    Hotline Miami, 2012
    Journey, 2012
    Mark Of The Ninja, 2012
    The Walking Dead, 2012
    Thirty Flights Of Loving, 2012
    XCOM Enemy Unknown, 2012
    Deus Ex: Human (R)evolution, 2011 (It's misspelled in the Wikipedia... >_> )
    Minecraft, 2011
    Ni no Kuni, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, 2011
    Uncharted 3, 2011

• @jipostus said in Must Play Games:

@FF7Cloud
    Also listed in that book apparently o_O :

Ni no Kuni, 2011

List is immediately invalidated

• @bard91 said in Must Play Games:

Ni no Kuni, 2011

Dont like Ni No Kuni? i thought it was ok its biggest selling feature was its art

• @FF7Cloud I don't dislike Ni No Kuni, I hate it, despise it.

It was along with Persona 5 and Valkyria Chronicles one of the reasons why I got a PS3, and without exaggerating it was one of the games I've been the most excited for in my life, the thought of Ghibli working in a game was too much for me.

first 5-10 hours were magical, and then the true face of the game showed itself, combat became an absolute drag, the AI was infurating to say the least, the story lost all appeal and forced every unnecessary bit of dialogue it could conceive at me making things simply drag on for forever, I have never been so disspointed in my life and that is not an exaggeration.

As for my previous comment I just wanted to be cheeky and take my chance of expressing my hatred at Ni No Kuni, I have no problem with people liking (even though I don't understand how) but I definitely consider it a very mediocre game.

• @bard91 i thought it was a very ok, pretty game with bad characters besides drippy and a terribad battle system

• These might not be classics (YET) but they are absolutely worth giving a shot.

Katamari Damacy (weird, addictive, colorful)
    Persona 4 Golden (even though it's not my favorite Persona, it's considered the ambassador for the series and I love it)
    Ace Attorney (the characters and stories are so ridiculous and fun)
    Super Mario Galaxy (amazing platforming and music)
    Okami [any version, but HD and Wii are best] (the best Zelda ever released for a Sony system, and a marvelous sight to behold)
    Mother 3 (amazing story, amazing pixel art, amazing community, absolutely worth the trouble it takes to play it)
    Psychonauts (come for the concept, stay for the incredible writing and characters)

• Global Moderator

Think it would be fun to see more of an explanation to WHY these games are important, rather than just listing them, so people know why.
    Doesn't need to be long, just thinking like

"Super Mario Bros - One of the games that laid the base for platforming games" or similar, just an idea :3

• @michemagius
    Don't see why those can't be considered classics.

• @Lotias I agree... It makes this thread more interesting.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.