Ally-Made Art

• Hey! A few years ago I was a moderator on another forum (when I was younger and had much more free time), and I worked on the art section. It was where any forum users could post art they were working on, both related to what the forum was for and just general art. I know that there's some artists among the allies on this forum and thought I would make this thread. I'd love to hear about what kind of art you guys make and see it if you guys are comfortable posting. I might add some art of my own later since I'm about to start working on a sketch. (Don't expect much, I'm untrained and just started drawing again after like a year and a half off.)

Also some questions I have if you all are comfortable answering:

What mediums do you know how to work with?
    When did you start making art?
    How did you learn to make art?
    Is there a medium you would like to learn how to work with?
    What are your artistic inspirations?
    Has your style changed? In what ways?

Also for the purpose of this thread (and in general) I consider writing art, so if you want to post an excerpt of anything you've written or are working on, I'd love to see it.

• I don't know if I consider myself an artist, but, I do like to do creative type things while listening to podcasts or other long form EZA content. I was actually thinking of making a thread like this for all of the creative fans of EZA to share the stuff in.

What mediums do you know how to work with?
    I paint Skorne minis mostly but sometimes I make maps for D&D.

I started painting about 8 months ago after the first Gundam Construction stream.

I asked friends as well as other people at my local game store for advice. Other than that I learned by practice.

Not really. Learning other forms seems like it would take too much work. I have found that it is easy to reach a very satisfactory level of quality on my minis without too much practice.

IDK some people at my LGS have some really nice looking stuff.

No.

My most recent mini a Skorne Mortitheurge Willbreaker

• @Brandon_Reister Dude that mini is awesome! How small of a brush do you have to use to get that level of detail? My hands shake like crazy whenever I paint, I could never pull that off.

• Thanks! Usually I use a variety of brushes, ranging from small to tiny, but as of late I have been using only one brush for the whole model. This is my latest model, along with the brush I have used for it and the last one as well as a quarter for scale. Thankfully my hands only start to shake badly after like 2 hours of solid painting, but before then I usually am able to keep everything steady enough to keep the mistakes down to a minimum. That is one area I have been getting better at. In the beginning I would have to go over the most detailed parts 3-4 times to get it right but for this most recent model I only ever had to do 2 attempts at any part.

• @Brandon_Reister Wow, that's crazy small.

• I always loved Disney movies when I was little (and Kingdom Hearts 1 will always be my favorite game). I kinda fell out of that stuff a bit as I got older (drawing and watching animated movies) thanks to video games and basketball. Then, in senior year of highschool I saw Frozen a couple months after release and it really blew me away. The visuals/colors, the animation, the music and voiceovers, etc. really made me realize how much I've been missing. Since then I've become such a huge Disney Animation nerd. I really love the 90s musicals (especially the early ones) and, of course, the classics from the Golden Age. I guess it's pretty dorky, huh. It got me back into drawing, and the past couple years I've been animating a bit as well.

Mediums: I've never had any real drawing instruction or practice, and I'm not that good, but I have fun with it. So I draw a bit, either on paper or digital w/my tablet. I animate in 2D using TVPaint, and I know a bit of Maya for 3D stuff (mostly modeling, not too much experience animating).

Here's my final short for an intro 2D class I took 2 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWtlhczh4Uk

Here's a little short animation I made last night:

I'm a CS major in my senior year s I'm not sure how much of a future I have in animation, but I have fun with it anyway. I wish I could decide whether I'd want to pursue 2D or 3D, though. The old-school Disney 2D is my favorite kind of animation, but that practice seems to be dead for the time being, so 3D seems more practical. I want to learn traditional 2D better, regardless, but there isn't enough time in the day.

• @Heat55Haslem I really enjoy animation too, especially 2D animation I just don't have much of a knack for it. I can make little animations for videos and stuff sure, but the most I've ever been able to make in terms of a straight animation was a pyramid with fireworks coming out the back. I really like the first animation you posted, it's really impressive for an introductory class. The video on the second animation doesn't seem to be working. As for the future of 2D animation, I think you should stick with it if you really like it. It's not very big here in the west anymore but there's lots of other places who still use it as the primary form of animation and 2D animation has been starting to get popular in games recently so that could be a cool place to channel your efforts.

• @michemagius Yea, you're right, traditional 2D isn't completely dead yet. And thanks for the kind words on that video, really appreciate it. I think you're on to something with 2D in games. Cuphead shows there's a market for it for sure. I think I'm going to try to make a concerted effort over the next couple months to start learning either Unity or Unreal. Game dev. seems like the best future for me since it combines my love for animation and games with my CS degree which won't really matter in the animation field. I've put it off for too long

• I mean, look at Wario Land: Shake It. That hand drawn animation is gorgeous.

• @Minamik Wow the animation in that game is crazy good! I'd never seen it before, I haven't really seen most of the Warriors games but I didn't expect it to have that high quality of animation!

Some games with great 2D animation that come to mind are:

Odin Sphere (Really, all the Vanillaware games, this one's just the most recent release.)
    Youtube Video

Skullgirls (Indivisible which is also in development by Lab Zero looks beautiful so far but I can't include it's not finished yet. Also Big Band. Gotta rep Big Band.)
    Youtube Video

• @michemagius It's just the one for the Wii that went with the hand drawn art. The game itself is a..7ish, but damn if it ain't beautiful.

• @Minamik Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown are hand drawn too. I can't speak to the other Vanillaware games since I haven't played them but it's pretty clear to me that an artist made those characters and environments. Sure They likely did the drawing itself on a tablet through a digital art program, but they used their hands to make the art, not pre-made shapes or 3D models angled in such a way so as to give the illusion that it's 2D. I consider anything an artist drew by hand to be hand drawn, regardless of their tools. I'm a primarily digital artist now, I spent most of my younger years drawing with a pencil/ink and paper but using a drawing pad and art software is cheaper and much more efficient. The art you produce won't be a 1 to 1 comparison to traditional art but the tools that have been developed for digital art have come a long way in terms of realism.

• Since I started this thread I figured it's time I posted some of my own art. Again as a reminder, my art is very VERY amateur, and not as impressive as anything posted by the rest of you guys but I do my best.

Here's a recently created character of mine that's kind of become my muse. I drew her with both flat colors and shading. I haven't attempted shading in years so it's pretty god-awful but I need the practice so I'll keep trying.

Here's the tweet I posted with both images.

• Nice thread! Art is one of my biggest passions in life :)

Everything is drawn on an iPad Pro using the Apple Pencil and the app Procreate. I used to draw a lot on paper when I was younger but I make so many faults and never get fully happy so most drawings got damaged from using the eraser too much lol

Anyway here are some examples of my art, I have some other stuff on my Instagram gallery (@jaggafredde) as well but I mostly draw women, maybe some games too, and fishes, and guitars, but mostly women.

Lets see how this goes, is Imgur for image posts okay here?

First one is a playful drawing of an Instagram girl checking her phone after posting body goal pics. Drawing process included.
    alt text
    alt text

A try to do photo realism, drawing process included, there is always stuff that could be improved but this is probably my max level right now, it took a crazy long time to do this one
    alt text
    alt text

Breath of the Wild US cover fan art
    alt text

Two sketches using a clothes model as reference for some classic poses
    alt text

• As someone who can't draw, I'm so incredibly jealous of the people drawing all the cool art I'm seeing here.

• @JamboHyland95 It's never too late to start drawing. I might post my "draw this again" once I get done with this year's drawing to show how fast you can improve. I'm honestly shocked by how bad I used be. If I can jump as far as I have then anyone can. Not to say I'm great now but I'm pretty satsfied with my style now.

• What mediums do you know how to work with?
    I work in pencil, photoshop, and clipstudio mostly. It's been ages since I've animated but when I do it's in flash

Ever since I was a wee lad. I started wanting to do it seriously after reading Frank Millers Dark knight Returns in third grade

A combination of being self taught and asking the right folks for the right advices

Any and everything.

Blade of the Immortal's Hiroaki Samura, Bryan Hitch, Frank Miller,

I have several styles and can emulate pretty much anything in accordance to what the narrative/tone calls for
    Here's a few fan art pieces I've done.

alt text
    https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/1400/f9b5fc19674581.562df7e45ffc4.jpg

alt text

alt text

• I've actually made a concerted effort to try draw because I'm really trying to get my game dev chops but I'm kind of a one-man army at the moment, obviously the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, so I know it's gonna take awhile before I get anywhere near close to being able to draw for a game I'm still in awe of you guys!

• @ZombieProof The images you posted don't seem to be coming up.But based on what you wrote, I'm totally jealous that you can emulate other styles. I have 3-ish drawing styles that I can do, their basically the same style just with varying levels of detail incorporated. What stops me form making fan art a lot of the time is that I fear my style is too different from the original style and it will come out looking weird.4

Edit: I can see the images now, and oh my god dude! You're awesome!

• @JamboHyland95 I'm in the same boat. I'm in my third year of college but my first year of studying game dev and I'm trying to get mildly proficient at most of the areas required for making a game so that I can make my own prototypes to show to other people and convince them to work with me. I haven't gotten in to any classes regarding programming so it remains to be seen if I'll have a lot of trouble with that or not, but I'm fairly confident in my ability to make concept art and write scripts. My biggest issue comes with music. I know what I would like to hear attached to my game Ideas but I'm hopeless when it comes to writing or producing music.