Ally-Made Art

• I've actually made a concerted effort to try draw because I'm really trying to get my game dev chops but I'm kind of a one-man army at the moment, obviously the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, so I know it's gonna take awhile before I get anywhere near close to being able to draw for a game I'm still in awe of you guys!

• @ZombieProof The images you posted don't seem to be coming up.But based on what you wrote, I'm totally jealous that you can emulate other styles. I have 3-ish drawing styles that I can do, their basically the same style just with varying levels of detail incorporated. What stops me form making fan art a lot of the time is that I fear my style is too different from the original style and it will come out looking weird.4

Edit: I can see the images now, and oh my god dude! You're awesome!

• @JamboHyland95 I'm in the same boat. I'm in my third year of college but my first year of studying game dev and I'm trying to get mildly proficient at most of the areas required for making a game so that I can make my own prototypes to show to other people and convince them to work with me. I haven't gotten in to any classes regarding programming so it remains to be seen if I'll have a lot of trouble with that or not, but I'm fairly confident in my ability to make concept art and write scripts. My biggest issue comes with music. I know what I would like to hear attached to my game Ideas but I'm hopeless when it comes to writing or producing music.

• @michemagius I think they pop up now. I'm a little unfamiliar with these formums' interface hahahahah. I'm of the opinion that if you get a handle on shape iconography, color theory, and a strong sense of form, emulating any style becomes a lot easier. It's all smoke and mirrors man hahahaha

• @ZombieProof Yeah, color theory I'm fine with. I've learned a lot about it in the few art classes I've had to take for my degree, but those have all been focused more on abstract art then character art so I'm really lacking in that area. Hopefully over the rest of my time studying I'll improve.

• @ZombieProof Oh wow those are fantastic! Love the black and white one, very stylistic and unique :)

• @michemagius sounds like you can draw and I can code! We should try work on something down the line even for a game jam at the very least! I'd love to pick your brain on design to as I've no real formal teaching in it, mainly just picking up ideas from personal preference and stuff like that.

• @michemagius Gotcha. If I can give a bit of advice, the trick is shape and understanding the iconography of the silhoette. 2D disney animation really has a handle on these things. I'd recommend you studying some of that stuff in your spare time. The TF2 characters are a great example of what I'm talking about. Their shapes all imply who they are, what their roles are, and how they should feel.

Here's a bit of TF2 fan art I did by the way
    alt text
    dangit...fixed lol

• @jaggafredde Thanks man! That was my ode to the O.G. Frank Miller and his Sin City style

• Some people here may have seen some of my stuff at the beginning of Kyle's streams if not my Twitter has all the stuff I have done for Kyle's streams if you want to take a look (https://twitter.com/VexChaneu). my prefered medium is just a regular ol ink pen as it's quick and dirty but I really love all art mediums and I dabble in all of them. I have personally never had any art classes (middle school had some pottery) I just doodled all the time which my teachers hated because the sides of all of my homework were just littered with odd little doodles.

• @Vexchaneu Nice stuff there man! I've been meaning to get around to rocking some caricatures of the easy a crew myself but time is my mortal enemy. I'll get em done one day hahahaha

• @Vexchaneu I like your style! I've always thought it's difficult to draw on paper even with charcoal pencils, I always damage the drawings with the eraser before I'm happy with the drawing :P Ink on paper is just on a whole other level, no erasing, you must nail it at the first line. Scary.

• I'm just an amateur scribbler...I've never enjoyed working with color, probably because I found out relatively late in life that I'm colorblind. I had years of growing up thinking I was a complete idiot for not being able to identify colors. I don't have much with me right now since I'm at work, but here is an example of my style.

alt text
    I'm actually more of an arranger/composer. Not sure if music should go in this thread as well or if I should make another.

• When I was young, I always asked my dad if he could draw something for me, often some comic or cartoon characters and afterwards I tried to redraw them. At some point daddey probably had enough so I started on my own. Let’s say I never had much social needs so after school I would regularly draw some stuff, often (human) characters that I would draw in some fresh clothes (…if I didn’t forgot). So designing clothes was involved. I had art class in school and people said I could draw quite well.
    After graduating, I choose a different direction and I studied some physics and it kind of killed most of my artistic inspiration. Apart from some doodles, I only put in effort every few years. Have a drawing tablet and a drawing tabletish 2in1 so at least I am sufficient equipped if I ever feel like producing something. Style wise I started more with US-comics and then with the 2000 of course manga became popular. Inspiration is often a new drawing device so that I can say I did not waste the money or last time it was the beginning of EZAs Table Top Escapades. There are some things I might want to draw but I don’t have enough motivation or maybe time. A medium I am interested in is 3d modelling and animation and if I could (go back in time) I would try to learn something in that direction.
    But to end on a better note, a week or so ago my nephew and I spend some time playing Splatoon 2 and he asked me to draw some inklings. Wouldn’t say it turned out that great but for a 8 year old child it was good enough…

• @JamboHyland95 That sounds awesome! I of course want to learn to code myself but I think I'll probably end up mainly working on the art aspect of games. I'd love to discuss with you about making games though. I'm always running low on ideas for art so if you ever need some character sketches hit me up.

• Global Moderator

Just want to say that Im blown away by some of the art in here! we really got sooo talanted people!

Also just want to give a heads up to please try and avoid nudity images. I know its art and all, but we also got some young people. So far we are good though, but just as a reminder :)

• @Ikataishou I'd be happy with praise from an 8 year old. I had to do caricatures for a child's birthday party once (the parents were friends with my mom and knew they could ask me to do it for cheap) and I swear to god those kids were the harshest critics I've ever encountered and I post my art on a forum to have it professionally ripped to shreds.

• @michemagius will do! I've got some stuff on my mind but I need to get through this semester first!! 😂

• @JamboHyland95 I feel that. School takes up a lot of my time and I try to keep up with my gaming backlog in my free time so I usually only complete 2 sketches a week.

• @michemagius man you're telling me, I study about 4 hours a day plus travel and actual classes, I barely have time to work on game stiff, also it's hard to go home and spend 3 hours coding after spending 8-10 hours coding throughout the day.