Games that get a bad rap

• What games do you think get a bad rap?

An obvious first example considering recent events is the Senran Kagura series. Everyone just sees anime girls and instantly writes it off despite them being pretty fun beat-em-up's/musous/shooters.

Another one is Sonic Lost World. Most people I know either hated it or thought it was way worse than the boost style games but I thought it was (while flawed) an interesting change in gameplay and with some polish could have been a very solid alternate playstyle for the series going forward.

• Watch Dogs.

• Unfortunately, there are so many. Sometimes it's a case of aesthetics causing people to completely trash a game regardless of the quality of the game and the mechanics behind it, and very often it's a result of the sheep-like world we live in, where everyone trusts in what they read and hear from the randomness that is the internet.

I've got a few games to list. None of them are beyond criticism, and quite often, the issues that hide amoung the roasting they get, are actually valid. It's all exaggerated though, and it's mostly a result of Chinese whispers across the internet.

Silent Hill 4
    Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness
    Final Fantasy X-2
    Devil May Cry 2
    Resident Evil Zero
    Lair
    Too Human
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Daikatana
    PE: The Third Birthday
    Metroid Other M
    Deus Ex: The Invisible War

• @DeweyDTruman said:

Another one is Sonic Lost World.

Sonic in general, but Kirby games which constantly have innovative spinoffs while also putting out more classic main series games at a regular release pace seem pretty disrespected outside Japan. I guess them always coming out makes them less important to people, even though the majority of them are high quality. That or people outside Japan just don't like the pace or cute aesthetics. Who knows?

• Dead or Alive: I think one of the best 3d Fighters. Bad Rap because of its focus on female fighters and bewbs but one of the best fighting mechanics and best (combat!) animations, for me only second to virtua fighter 5.
    Assassins Greed: Only because there are many games doesn’t mean they are bad. Impressive scope and level of detail and a possibility to actually learn something about history - in a video game!? I only played through AG2 and didn’t particularly liked it but still a lot of interesting stuff in it, …

• I think dating simulators in general get a bad rap. A lot of people write them off as just fan service games that lack purpose or story, or feel that they're boring. They're technically visual novels so if you think about them like that, i think others would understand their appeal more. Another comment I hear a lot about dating simulators is that the only people who play them are socially awkward or lonely, which really is just untrue. People play dating sims because their fun, and I'm sure there are some people who play them because they feel lonely, but that's not the only reason people play them. And playing a game because you feel lonely isn't anything to be ashamed of. I personally like them because I find them challenging and I really like the characters. It's fun to try and figure our what different characters want to hear, and it's also fun to see how things turn out if you just act like yourself. Very recently Dream Daddy came out, and I've heard a lot of negative things about it. There's been a lot of hate going towards the game for homophobic reasons, but also just because it's a dating sim. It's a fun, wholesome (believe it or not), well written game and I enjoyed my time with it a lot. I haven't really talked about it online because I don't want to invite people to make fun of me for playing it, and I haven't mentioned it often on these forums because I'm not really sure how the majority of allies feel about it. Considering that our motto is Love & Respect I was initially inclined to think that most people on the forums would be fine with it, but the comments on Ian's playthrough on Easy Update makes me worry that my original inclination was wrong.

• DmC: Devil May Cry - Mechanically superior to half the main series. Better story and characters than all of them.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite/Street Fighter V - Similarly mechanically superior to most of the other games in the series, but people are still stuck on launch woes/roster issues.

Basically every Tom Clancy game this gen - Seige seems to be the only one that gets a pass, but Ghost Recon Wildlands is a lot of fun and The Division is basically unrecognizable from what it was at launch with all the changes and improvements they have made.

• Heroes Of The Storm - I'm not a huge MOBA player anymore, but I still occasionally go back to HotS, but it's mostly brushed aside because it's not as "Complex" as LoL or DOTA 2, but I find it a more relaxing game in a stressful competitive genre and much more fun with friends. It helps that I have a pretty big attachment to older Blizzard characters too.

Battleborn - Randy Pitchford and launch problems aside I thought it was a pretty decent game, the timing of it's launch was really poor and it was hard to avoid the comparisions.

In no particular order:

• Too Human
    • Musou franchise
    • "Anime" fighting games (Blazblue, Guilty Gear, etc)
    • Blue Dragon
    • The Last Remnant

Just off the top of my head.

• I think the problem with Heroes of the Storm was $20 skins. Blizzard really has no shame in blood-sucking.

I have no interest in auto-attack, action bar, or even most top-down view games like that anymore, however I might have tried it years back if that hadn't been the case.

• @Haru17 said in Games that get a bad rap:

I think the problem with Heroes of the Storm was $20 skins. Blizzard really has no shame in blood-sucking.

Agreed, no different than most. LoL from my experience with it pulled a lot of shady things with their pricing in the past for skins that weren't "Finished" and they were pretty expensive to boot.

Thankfully the loot box system on HotS fixes a lot of that, I've gotten a LOT of previously top priced skins from them.

• Final Fantasy X for sure

• Most games I play, lol.

• @gwnner I've only played Watch Dogs 2, but I like it a lot.

• I have no idea why they decided to do a bad rap for Yokka Laylee

• Daikatana is a good game now. Fan Patch fixed everything. It's a really great Romero shooter which just doesn't exist anymore.

• I have multiple weapons in my closet that I drag out whenever I have to talk about Final Fantasy XIII. World maps and villages aside, I think an RPG lives and dies with it's combat system. To me, this game just cuts to the chase, by making the entire game about strategy, gear, EXP and customization. It's a no-nonsense action-strategy & character-centric journey. And damn, it's pretty.

(I'll also consent with The_Andredal that this is what I partly think about FFX too :) )

• Mas Effect Andromeda- I agree with all the criticism it got but I enjoyed the 50 hours I spent with it more than I should have.

• Lollipop Chainsaw maybe? I thought it was fun.

3rd Birthday is a good game, just a bad entry into Parasite Eve imo.

• I was thinking about it, and I think Nintendo Land gets a lot of unfair negativity. I think it has more to do with the Wii U then with Nintendo Land. Even though I love my Wii U and it's probably my most used console ever, I will admit that it was pretty much a flop in terms of sales/3rd party support. I don't mind the Wii U's lack of power because most of the games I own for the system are first party Nintendo titles that were made with the hardware in mind, but I can understand how that lack of power limited a lot of outside developers. So, when the Wii U came out, there wasn't much fanfare. And when Nintendo Land was announced at E3 as this big game for the Wii U, people understandably weren't hyped. I however, adored Nintendo Land. It was the first game I owned for my Wii U and the only game I had for the system for several months. I've heard it thrown around that Nintendo Land "is no Wii Sports", but like, Nintendo Land is better than Wii Sports. At least in my eyes. Wii Sports is about the most basic game ever created. All you have to do in that game is swing the Wiimote at the right time. That's great for family gatherings when you want to see your grandma try to virtually bowl, but outside of that what's the appeal? With Nintendo Land, it's basically a love letter to Nintendo Fans. All the attractions are based on Nintendo franchises new and old, and they all show Nintendo's affection for each series. The environments are beautiful and unique, I absolutely adore the Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, and Takamaru attractions for this reason. The sheer amount and quality of collectables, are awesome, and they're so fun to unlock that I will delete my save file every time I've collected them all so that I can collect them again. The music is wonderful and full of nostalgia. And best of all, you can play Nintendo Land by yourself. The multiplayer attractions are hectic fun that will brighten up any gathering of friends, but you don't have the gang around every night, which is the appeal of the single player games. The Metroid Attraction is the sole reason I am such a big supporter of the Metriod franchise despite never being able to play any of the games due to motion sickness or not having the consoles to play them. The Zelda Attraction was the first time I ever played anything relating to Zelda and now it's one of my favorite franchises ever.

• Wolfenstein (2009) I played it a couple of years after its release. I remember only hearing bad stuff about this then I played and thought it was awesome. I still can't understand the criticism towards this games.

Zelda II, it's actually one of my favorite Zelda. I used to dislike it as well when I was younger so I can understand where the hate comes from.

Dark Souls II, I can understand some of the criticism but I really don't think it's THAT much worse than other games in the series.