Arcade does it best.

• Just an out there thread. I'm currently sat in my local arcade, pumping the pounds into defender. Does anyone else here still use arcades? And does anyone else still prefer the way in which they work, as opposed to unlimited continues and such?

• Global Moderator

Im still trying to find an arcade to go to! (south UK). would be awesome to get a chance to play in an arcade which has a very special feeling. When I visit my parents back in Sweden there are a couple arcades in the themepark which I love. It depends on the game really, fighting and some fps and racing works fine as arcade games, but there are loads of games that would feel just wrong in the hall

• Sadly there's almost none around where I live in the greater SoCal area save for a few arcade bars in Los Angeles but that's a long drive, and expensive to hang around at.

But yeah, I was really bummed out when a local arcade in the mall we have shut down. We used to have big city-wide tournaments for MvC2, Soul Calibur 2, etc. Loved that place, I used to spend $20 a month (Or more) on Soul Calibur 2 to maintain my faction's ranking.

They used to sell the cabinets at the end of the year too, really cool.

The fear of dropping more quarters made you a better player IMO, and it gave you a reason to come back another time to see if you can do better, or just top your old score.

And of course nothing beats playing a fighting game and on one quarter you end up playing for hours with a big crowd behind you as you beat challenger after challenger. The days before we had things like twitch and youtube, the rush was intense lol.

• We haven't had any arcades where I live for a long time. Not even places like an arcade bar or anything. Honestly if I ever see a pac-man cabinet at a restaurant that's a minor miracle.

I really miss the one in the mall when I was a kid. Still remember the name, Aladdin's Castle. Didn't have a lot of great video games (or at least ones I appreciated at the time) but I spent so much time growing up playing skeeball, spider stomp and centipede there.

• @DeweyDTruman said in Arcade does it best.:

We haven't had any arcades where I live for a long time. Not even places like an arcade bar or anything. Honestly if I ever see a pac-man cabinet at a restaurant that's a minor miracle.

I really miss the one in the mall when I was a kid. Still remember the name, Aladdin's Castle. Didn't have a lot of great video games (or at least ones I appreciated at the time) but I spent so much time growing up playing skeeball, spider stomp and centipede there.

Yeah, I used to drop a lot on DDR and crane games too. Our place was called "Tilt" AND I NEED TIME CRISIS IN MY LIFE AGAIN!

• Yeah, we have an arcade downtown that's pretty decent, and I go a few times a year when I have time to kill. Went there not too long ago with a friend that was moving out of town and we played MvC, Third Strike and a lot of Daytona.

I love arcades, and there are a lot of very interesting games (in the mid-90's especially) that never left the arcade, or were only ever granted less than satisfactory ports.

• Arcades are the shit. Its where I developed my love of fighting games. Tekken 3, Marvel vs Capcom, Soul Calibur... Damn those were some good times.

Our local arcade even had a MACE cabinet. Anybody else remember that old N64 medieval fighting game?

• Sadly the last good arcade near me shut down a few years ago. Local flea market had this giant building with arcade games to play (and buy) new and old, so many memories playing Alien vs Predator Arcade, the Konami beat em ups, F-Zero AX, Street Fighter, and so many countless others. Then there was the bowling alley near me for awhile, only had like 8 (well 10 technically) cabinets, but when those 8 are top quality games, Street Fighter 3, MvC2, Tekken 5, Daytona USA (2 cabs), House of the Dead 3, Time Crisis 3(2 cabs), Ms Pac-Man/Galaga, and Simpsons Arcade.

• There's a Gameworks downtown i used to work at when it first started and had awesome imported cabinets like virtual - on, retro cabinets, brand new games (we got house of the dead and had a nationwide competition for a big prize) as well as attraction oriented rides like 6 linked moving sit-in Daytona race cars with a live play by play announcer, a 3 story elevator shooting game, and a live dj every day.

It's really gone downhill since then, mostly focused on ticket/ prize games. The cabinets they do still have are old and broken down. I still go in every once in a while, but it makes me sad.