About live reaction streams and spoilers

• The Allies don't 'report' on much of anything outside of the podcasts or late night E3 streams, which are after the conferences. At shows like this companies do most of the reporting themselves in the manner they prefer and journalists write articles off of the press releases later — EZA doesn't even do that. I don't see what's wrong with them waiting a whole <24 hours to look at leaks and rumors.

• Global Moderator

I think it's honestly a really difficult one. Per the example given, SotC was in some trademarks that was posted on neogaf a few hours earlier. Now in that case, you would have been looking for it so I can see why people might say it'd be better if they held out for a day.

However if some major leak drops the night before and it's all over twitter, that's kinda unavoidable really and can be something worth talking about in the pre conference show.

So I personally don't think it's as easy as just to avoid all news for 24 hours before an event but I understand where you guys are coming from.

• The allies where excited that is was SotC so I don't see the problem. Also, only Damiani and Kyle knew.
    EDIT: Mario Odyssey was leaked and people were excited, if you want to be media blackout that's on you, they need to look because of the preshow and final bets.

• I'm definitely with Snowcone Guy on this one. The Allies will be the first to tell you that they're not journalists, but entertainers. They also have spoken at length about how leaks are, at best, a greasy situation for everyone. And the third thing they would tell you is that trailers are important. Reveals are important. That's why terms like "media blackout" exist in this community.

So if you don't think that it's a big deal, that's cool, people care about different things. But you could definitely at least acknowledge the reality that leaks will affect the eventual reveal, and that effect will never be a good one.

• @ib0show said in About live reaction streams and spoilers:

Mario Odyssey was leaked and people were excited

That comparison doesn't make any sense. Odyssey wasn't leaked, the word 'Odyssey' was leaked. Gameplay for the new Switch 3D Mario game was shown in the Switch trailer in October well before we ever got a title for it.

• @Haru17 My point was they new the game existed and saw how it looked before the reaction everyone loved.
    @Inflorescence Entertainers research on the topic on hand, they don't go in blind. If entertainers go in blind it would end up like Joel Mchale at the vga's

• @ib0show If Joel McHale knew who won GOTY at the VGAs, and then said in his opening monologue, "I couldn't make out the details, but I overheard an inside source saying it was something sounding like Shmeth of the Shmild," people would be understandably upset.

• @Inflorescence The allies were excited that it existed so I don't know what's wrong, not everything deserves a Shenmue moment

• @Inflorescence

That's not even remotely the same thing. It's their job to inform about the press conference and what will happen that's why there is a preshow. You cannot pretend that the outside world / news doesn't exist.

• Shmeth of the Shmild is totally going to win though.