A hub for the EZA Game Makers!!

• First of all I'm not sure if this should be going into general discussion or gaming discussion so my apologies if I chose the wrong one!

I've seen some people making posts about the games they were making and it's really Inspiring, as someone who's currently trying to make a game I feel like there's probably quite a few on this forum trying to do the same. So I propose this topic for game makers on the forum to come together and discuss things, are you an artist looking for help on a programming issue? Or a programmer needing some art? Hopefully we can all help each other out share tips and hopefully collaborate on something in the future!

• This thread is a great idea! I obviously won't be making any games until I graduate but I think it would be really cool to see what everyone else is working on. And as for what services I can offer, I would consider myself pretty proficient in character and location design. I'm better with my words than with my hands so my art isn't as good as my writing. I don't think my art is outright terrible and depending on the person you might like my style, just don't come to me for super professional level art. I'm happy to help anyone who wants it with concept art, so keep me in mind if you need that.

• @michemagius As someone who struggles to draw squares correctly I might take you up on that offer in the future! 😂

• Global Moderator

Awesome! I think that this is a great initiative! I like many others are working on a game, the problem for me is that I tend to procrastinate way too much.

Currently Im working on a sidescrolling 2D shooter, nothing fancy really, just for the fun of it and for a chance to work more with leveldesign which is something I havent done much but find super interesting. As I said before the problem is that I put it to the side way too much and never get around to finishing it. One of the issues I have is that my main chars run animation sometimes continue a couple of steps after I let go of the walk button and I cant figure out why haha! Next step will be also to create a "hit animation" where when you take damage you "flash" and slide back a tiny bit, just to strongly indicate that you take damage.

I find gamemaking super fun and kinda theraputic at times, also its fun to see progress and think of all the cool ideas that you want to implement.

Hope other people are doing well with their games!

• Nice to see some fellow game devs here!

I've released 2 (and a half) games myself on PC, android and iOS and I'm currently working on a remaster of the first game which is already half-released on early access on Steam. Check it out here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/437730/Roadclub_League_Racing/

I'm also working on a prototype with a friend on a "gamer manager" concept where you create a dream team from odd gamers to be the best raid guild on the server in a fictional universe.

• @bennysce that's really cool man! What would be your engine of choice? I'm kinda torn at the moment between game maker and unity.

• Thanks!

For these games I've made my own engines based on C++ and DirectX in the PC one and Corona SDK for the mobile one (took a loooooooong time for each game). But I've dabbled with Unity, Game Maker, UE4 and more. In my experience it all depends your project and your programming skill level which tools work best for you. I haven't tried the new Game Maker yet. I have a friend working with it and I think he said it had some substantial upgrades. My biggest gripe with Game Maker is the bad coding support. You get nowhere near the help from the editor when programming as you do in Visual Studio and the extensions you have there. Visual Studio can be used with both Unity and UE4 and as I think UE4 was a lot less user-friendly for beginners I'd definitely go for Unity for my next project unless Game Maker have sorted out their language support.

So what are you working on?

Oh and this is the mobile game I made. Took a year from start to finish using Corona SDK.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.solidcore.PyramidJumble

• @bennysce Wow that's awesome, I'd love to try to get into making my own engine for anything but I barely now a line of C++ and wouldn't know where to start at all even if I did. For the last two 2-3 years I've dabbled with unity and it was fairly straightforward however I had multiple assignments in college that used it and over the summer I worked for Logitech on a small project in VR/AR for some products they had that was done in Unity so I'm kind of burnt out on it at this stage. I've been working with Game Maker 2 now for the last 3-ish weeks after finding out games like Spelunky and HyperLight Drifter were made on it. I'm trying to just make a small RPG my goal is to make something persona-esque but right now I'm just trying to feel my way around Game Maker.

• @JamboHyland95 making your own engine usually is about experimenting with low level APIs like DirectX, OpenGL, Vulkan, Metal and getting things to show up on screen and getting input, physics and sound to work. There a tons of great libraries to build from today. Box2D, Fmod and OpenGL and maybe some middleware like SDL or libgdx or similar gets you well on your way. But I wouldn't really recommend it unless you want to learn how things work way under the hood. If you've used Unity a lot, why not use that knowledge to build your game idea or at least prototype some of the core features of your vision?

Do you see any advantages in Game Maker over Unity so far?

• @bennysce Well, all of my Unity knowledge is based around 3D development, which can be hard to make look nice when your 3D modeling skills aren't up to par so I figured I'd try to just work with something with all that stripped away and just focus on 2D development. So far I feel like Game Maker is a lot more user-friendly for beginners than unity, there's a lot of layers of abstraction to help make things easier to understand such as having different scripts for different actions (some that execute each frame, some that only create the instance of the object etc..). However, I'm not a big fan of them using a proprietary language I'd rather use an existing language such as C++ or C# but that's just a personal preference as a programmer, I'm sure if you were only in it to make games and not write code for anything else it wouldn't bother you. that being said, however, because of that their documentation is incredibly easy to understand because its written for people who don't code and it comes with really concise examples which are handy. It also has a fairly decent sprite editor in it for drawing your own sprites and animating them as such.

• @JamboHyland95 2D is definitely easier for a solo dev unless you're making some kind of simple geometry-based game. That's what I like to work with as well. Game Maker is definitely easier to get started with. As soon as its time to get into more serious development and create more advanced systems I really feel their choice of a proprietary language is a major hurdle. As you get more experienced it really kills productivity to have to learn a new language and tools when the entire industry is built around C++ and C#. I think they would have had a lot more success if they used C#. People could've used the most powerful IDEs out there and get better debugging and intellisense and even move from Unity for 2D projects. Right now I'm really impressed people can build such big games in Game Maker. It's just a shame they make it so unnecessarily hard to use the best tools out there for productivity when you know what you're doing. The way Unity does it doesn't really require that much C# knowledge either. Game Maker should be able to use the same ease-to-use UI coupled with C# and they'd get a lot more people on board I think. It wouldn't be looked at as a beginners tool anymore.

Great that they have good sprite and animation tools and such. I think Unity have a lot of work to do there. There seem to be some pretty great assets for it and more tools are being integrated but I've heard Game Maker has better stuff out of the box.

• @bennysce Yeah you make some good points there, I feel like they're making good strides though. They're constantly updating the client with new updates and such so maybe down the line there might be an update to allow for alternate languages (that's another thing unity has over Game Maker). Have you made any projects in unity???

• @JamboHyland95 I'm pretty sure I heard unity is set to depricate Javascript support and focus on C#. It's probably not a good idea to support several languages due to the extra resources required.

I've only made a few experiment projects so far.

A global illumination test. A ball race game and a top down platformer. I have a video of the latter on YouTube but I'm on my mobile right now so I can't find it.

I still have the two far along projects to finish before I'll do anything serious with unity but there are endless resources around it which is very intriguing to work with.

• i've created music for a few never-finished games and would love the opportunity to do so again. i've been a musician for two decades and am well versed in acoustic and electric guitar, bass guitar and drums. i'm learning keyboards.

if you would like a theme song or some menu music or a full soundtrack, feel free to message me on here or, the better way, would be to dm me on twitter (https://twitter.com/matt__b).

you can hear stuff i've recorded (mostly video game covers, as well as some songs from the aforementioned never-completed games) at my bandcamp page: http://matt-b.bandcamp.com.

looking forward to being creative with fellow allies.

• @matt_b That's awesome Matt. I'll definitely have a listen.

• Me and my friends are working on a few game ideas. My passion project is an RPG ive been trying to make since RPGmaker 2000. Some authors say they want to make the great American novel, for me I want to make the great Japanese role playing game.
    I do all sorts of artistic work ranging from drawing to painting Warhammer 40k models. Coming up with my own world and how it works is easy for me. Coding, music and good dialog are the real hard parts for me, id love to create some music at some point.
    Id love to help anyone out with whatever I have to offer. I write down new game ideas all the time often creating another new world to figure out.

• @GeoFlame thats really cool man! If you have some sketches for games you've thought of or whatever please do share!

• Great thread!

I'm using SFML as a rendering engine for my 2D-game for three reasons:

1. It's completely free with no strings attached.
    2. There are lots of docs and tutorials and even some libraries around it.
    3. It's relatively close to the metal, so you can make it quite fast.

Be warned that you'll need to write a lot of code and you'll need some understanding of PC hardware. But if you interested in learning this stuff, it's a great pick.

• @ffff0 That's cool man I'd love to mess around with it but college wouldn't allow for it! What kinda game are you currently making??

• @JamboHyland95 Strategy/Simulation. Since I work in computer networking I want to make a game about building ISP network in a city. I don't know if it will be fun or educational enough but at least it will be something uncommon.