A hub for the EZA Game Makers!!

• Question for the devs here, what kind of laptop do you Dev on?

Was thinking of getting one of the new surface book 2s coming out but not sure.

• @DemonSwordsman you a coder or artist?

• @CGamor7 I'm a developer, but I havent done any proper game dev yet. Want to learn and try making something after work.

So to answer your question id probably do a bit of both.

• @DemonSwordsman I miss read your question sorry. Thought you were asking between desktop and laptop too. Personally I would go with desktop. If that's at all a thought you've had. Otherwise I think any gaming laptop will do. I don't know much about the surface but from what I do know it wouldn't be something I would get unless someone who knows more told me why. I can see being able to use a pen for art being a bonus but if your rendering you would want a dedicated graphics card. I guess that also depends if your doing high poly modeling, or 3d modeling in general vs 2d. Having more than one screen helps too.

As for a specific laptop I'm not sure if one is better than any others. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

• Hello y'all :) I've been working on a game now for a little more than two years, it's first two chapters got released just like a week ago ;O

https://sigrid.itch.io/sigrid-det-inre-mrkret-kapitel-1-2

(it's sort of an uncomfortable mash of Super Mario 3d world and some of the more darker, voyeuristic swedish young adult novels that I grew up with.)
    (I'm guessing further details on the game are more well-suited for something like a blog post, no?) Anyway.

I've been making every aspect of the game myself, single-handedly, using unity, (engine) monodevelop, (javascript) blender, (3D art) logic pro x, (soundtrack) photoshop (textures) and ... Drumroll ... MICROSOFT WORD (script) (can you believe it??) It took me a lot of time to figure it all out, but once you get the hang of the basic principle of 3D game design, it's easy to go from there.
    I'd love to share my experience and tips with each and every one of you. I've been thinking of starting a tutorial series on youtube but never got around to it.

• @Alexandra_Nilsson_T That is really impressive Alexandra!

• @Alexandra_Nilsson_T that's awesome! I can't wait to play it! What was the hardest part for you??

• @JamboHyland95 Thank you, both!! so nice to hear, makes me so glad :') honestly the hardest part is the actual game design itself - story, for example it could be the best story ever, but to make it coherent, consistent and contextualized, (sometimes I feel like I fix plot holes more than glitches!!) and the levels need to be measured out perfectly so that every platform is within reach, and the puzzle elements need to be introduced properly. Etc. The biggest fears one has is 1. Lengthy expositions, 2. tutorials. But sometimes it's super hard to work around it.

technically though - I hate animation!! x( I need to give love and huge shoutout to Cinema Mocap, a team that made a mocap application for unity that works with the kinect camera. That's awesome, but it requires you to make a humanoid armature rigging, which means your character needs to be rigged all the way down to fingertips and toes. Which takes so so much time and is super finicky. ;(

• @Alexandra_Nilsson_T yeah animation is probably the biggest deterrent for me in terms of making a 3D, I can use blender at a novice level and stuff but I've never even attempted to try rig a character with a skeleton before and animate it, but it's nice to know we have a pro in the thread to help if need be!!

• @Alexandra_Nilsson_T you mocapped this game with a kinect? thats insane :D yeah I'm sticking to 2D, I can't be bothered to learn everything you've gone through Alexandra xD I want to code and get things moving immediately. This is your first game and you've learnt all this in 2 years? That's very fast if that's the case!

• I know some might not have the money. But this site offers a lot of tutorials in almost every software you can think of. It use to be Digital Tutors but Pluralsight took over and now has all their videos plus new ones almost daily. If you want to learn game programming, modelling, unity, unreal engine etc I highly recommend it. You can even look up tutorials for the specific software your using.

There's a free trial and if you want a deal wait for around black Friday. You can usually get 50 percent off the annual fee.

Keep in mind the site can be a bit overwhelming because it also offers help with everything tech related. It taught me more than school did.

PluralSight

• Just a fun story I want to share.

I'm drawing textured sprites. When sprite size is equal to texture size, everything looks fine. But when I'm trying to draw smaller sprites (player zooms out the map) interesting stuff begins to happen. Say, you want to draw 32x32 sprite with 64x64 texture. This means that for each screen pixel you have 4 texture pixels and only one can be selected. GPU performs selection by picking texture pixel which is closest to the center of screen pixel. In my case all 4 pixels are equally distant, so it all comes down to rounding errors. Turns out these rounding errors are hardware-dependent, so you'll get different images on different graphic cards. Also, if you flip texture, you'll get a different image even on the same computer.

This problem can be solved by offsetting texture by some fraction of a pixel (in my case 0.15 pixel shift works fine). This will make a certain pixel closest to the center, so rendered image will always be the same on all graphic cards.

I always thought that it's better use integer coordinates in rendering, but turns out this is not always the case.

• @ffff0 it's the same with texture filtering. we had to add a transparent pixel all around the images and offset each pixel by 0.5 to not get white lines at the edges so the filtering takes from the transparent pixel in the texture rather than trying to fetch outside the texture.

also, mipmaps might help in your situation since you've already downscaled the image before rendering it if it selects a mipmap at the right level.