EA Shuts Down Visceral Games (Deadspace, Amy Hennig's Star Wars game)

• Banned

@DMCMaster Thank God. I was getting sick of shitty Activision Spiderman games. Talk about years of wasted potential.

• I never liked Electronic Arts' licensed games. I rarely, if ever buy them. I don't buy EA games. But when I do, it's something special. EA's Medal of Honor: Frontlines was the last game I bought straight from EA. I bought TitanFall 2, but that's Respawn.

I was hoping for an epic Star Wars game from EA, since they dd a great job with such games in the past. Now? With Visceral gone? Those dreams are gone. I'm with Brandon on his comments towards EA/Closure of Visceral. That press release reads like a corporate speak. I think that Brandon is interested in a story-based Star Wars game.

• I'm not entirely shocked. This isn't the first that EA has bought out a developer just to strip them of their IPs and shut them down. There's even a list going around off all their victims and it's surprisingly long. We already saw EA sink their teeth into Visceral with Dead Space 3. After which they pulled them off of the series and gave them Battlefield: Hardline, which wasn't received well at all. Let's just hope Anthem moves enough copies to make EA happy. I'd hate to see Bioware get the axe next.

• @Carlos said in EA Shuts Down Visceral Games (Deadspace, Amy Hennig's Star Wars game):

I'm with Brandon on his comments towards EA/Closure of Visceral. That press release reads like a corporate speak. I think that Brandon is interested in a story-based Star Wars game.

As am I. His emphatic comments on the podcast about it mimic'd how I feel about it. I loved hearing them.

I was so excited for a Hennig, Uncharted-style, story-based Star Wars game. Star Wars was perfect for it and it sounded like exactly what I wanted from a new single-player Star Wars game, especially when Hennig came onboard to the project.

Since I generally do more single-player it had been nice to have one to really look forward to. :(

• Global Moderator

Jason Schreier has written a very interesting piece on all the issues at Visceral. Have to say from reading it, that I'm shocked it took this long to cancel the project.

Kotaku - The Collapse Of Visceral's Ambitious Star Wars Game

Absolutely well worth reading.

• THE HOOK WAS THAT IT'S A STAR WARS STORY BY AMY HENNIG. I don't think I will be buying any Star Wars game by EA.

• such a shame that EA is just scrapping all gaming studios. They screwed up Mass Effect and then have the audacity to say singleplayer games don't sell?

• Mass Effect: Andromeda is a multiplayer and open world game, I don't think it's related to what EA saw fit to reboot Visceral Star Wars over.

• @tokeeffe9 That was super interesting, thanks for sharing. Really shows how responsabilities for this fiasco are split and it was a perfect storm of bad decisions. Hopefully EA Vancouver manages to whip up something decent out of this.

• @Axel said in EA Shuts Down Visceral Games (Deadspace, Amy Hennig's Star Wars game):

@tokeeffe9 That was super interesting, thanks for sharing. Really shows how responsabilities for this fiasco are split and it was a perfect storm of bad decisions. Hopefully EA Vancouver manages to whip up something decent out of this.

Yeah it was really entertaining. Just like Mass Effect Andromeda, EA made assumptions that an engine made for FPS games can do what a third person action-adventure game needs out of it. I have experience in production so a lot of this was relatable. Especially the approvals processes.

It's sad that EA didn't take the morale boost of 2017 to just make the game to flesh out the engine and improve more in the sequel.

On another note, the writer has a book out that I think I'm going to buy that details a lot stories from inside game development.

https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062651235/