Video Game Music

• I wanted to share what my favorite video game music is so maybe you all can enjoy as well.

My favorite themes mostly come from Final Fantasy games. I also enjoy the Mass Effect soundtracks. I find the more I enjoy the game the more I enjoy the music as well.

I highly recommend checking out Lindsey Stirling's version of the Halo, Skyrim and LoZ:OoT themes. She's a violinist and just plays some amazing music. Also, Taylor Davis (violinist) does a great version of songs from FFVII and FFVIII.

What kind of video game music do you all enjoy? I'd love to know so we can help grow each others libraries.

L&R

• Man, those FF soundtracks. My enjoyment of them just got amped playing through XV. I couldn't believe how well the old themes were used.

Back in the day, I used to watch the Blindfolded Pianist play Nintendo themes, which was always a lot of fun. Lately Doom's soundtrack got my blood pump'n. But, song for song, Crypt of the Necrodancer is still a constant in my listening. That track list, as well as the various remixes, are all pretty stellar.

• I have an video game orchestra playlist on Spotify. I like listening to it for a bit but often become a little run down after an hour or so.

Brain can only handle so many epic crescendos ;)

• I love listening to all kinds of videogame music. But instead of the tracks on their own, I have several songs by Machinae Supremacy, Black Mages and Crow's Claw in my usual playlist as well as whole bunch of nifty OC Remix tracks from various games, including Ace Attorney, Megaman, Final Fantasy to mention few. When I want to listen to the actual in game soundtrack I usually play the game just for the soundtrack.

But I have a Orchestral playlist as well which I listen whenever I feel like it, in which I have whole lot of FF tracks and the Turrican II Orchestral soundtrack in its entirety, and I am waiting for the new Turrican Orchestral album to be released.

• While I appreciate a great video game soundtrack/score, I feel like I don't often seek them out to listen to. Occasionally something will really stand out to me and I'll go back and listen to it but not terribly often.

I used to listen to the Twilight Princess and Oblivion soundtracks a lot while studying. Shadow of the Colossus is another one that I'll revisit from time to time. Usually I prefer quieter songs or "world music" to have on in the background while I'm doing something else.

• As you'll see/hear, if you so choose, I like a great deal of not only the original tracks, but remixes and other takes as well from my favorite games. In addition, there are one off tracks that I can't help but be excited to hear, even if I haven't played the games in which they are from. Finally, there are tracks where they might be the best thing from the games, as the games themselves are not all that great.

Ascension to Cosmo Canyon
    Avalanche
    Black Wing Metamorphosis
    Cid's theme (FFVII)
    Cry of the Planet
    Dearly Beloved
    Dr. Wily's Castle theme (Mega Man II)
    Final Fantasy IV theme
    Final Fantasy VII theme
    Halo: Combat Evolved theme
    Hope Runs Deep
    Lunatic Moon
    Memories of Waves and Light
    Never Forget
    Return to Cosmo Canyon
    Roxas's theme
    Sanctuary
    Shinra Corp.
    Short Skirts - I really don't understand why it's called that
    Simple & Clean
    Still Alive
    Still Alive - String Quartet version
    Valley of the Fallen Star

• @Sazime I love the Advent Children soundtrack as well

• My tastes in video game music tend to go two ways. The first being music I can jam to, and whimsical orchestrated music. What I mean by music I can jam to is music that sounds like what I have on my iPod (yes I still use one of those). I find that often video game music sounds a lot different then the type of music you play in your car when driving or the stuff you hear on the radio. That's not bad, video game music often does it's job of setting the tone well, it's just not often that I want to listen to Town A's theme when I'm in the middle of my hour long commute to school. I like video game music that sounds like it was composed purely for the enjoyment of the listener, not just to set the tone of an area.

In that regard my favorite soundtracks that have music with this quality are:

Persona 1 (Highly Underrated Soundtrack)
    Persona 3 (and P3P) (My Favorite Persona Soundtrack)
    Persona 4 (and Golden) (Heaven is my favorite song from any video game ever.)
    Persona Q (Another Highly Underrated Soundtrack)
    Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Say what you will about the story but P4DAN's music is godly.)
    Persona 5 (Meguro really flexing his composing skills in this one.)
    Basically anything Shoji Meguro has ever done.
    Space Channel 5 (The first rhythm game I ever played.)
    Space Channel 5 Part 2 (My favorite rhythm game ever made.)
    Katamari Damacy (Simply put, the most wonderful random Katamari of musical compositions.)
    We Love Katamari (This soundtrack just brings me peace.)
    Me and My Katamari (This soundtrack is just a collection of songs from the previous Katamari OST's, I only put it on here so I could add more Katamari music.)
    Katamari Forever (Remixes of all the best Katamari songs. So good that I actually took time to learn how to sing Sayonara Rolling Star.)
    Mario Kart 8 (My favorite Mario Kart OST.)
    Skullgirls (Skullgirls deserves more love not only for how well it plays and how good it looks but for how awesome it sounds.)

The other type of video game music is one's that invoke a sense of whimsy. Usually, but not always orchestrated. I think something that's been lost a little in the past years of gaming is the joy of losing yourself in a world you could never go to in real life. And having that world be strange and wonderful. These soundtracks invoke that feeling in me.

Super Paper Mario (So nostalgic for me. I just want to jump in and live in Flipside.)
    Ni No Kuni (No real surprise that Joe Hisaishi created a soundtrack that is positively magical.)
    Okami (This OST just fills me with so many emotions.)
    Super Mario Galaxy (The music is a real big part of my first truly wonderful platforming experience.)
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 (I didn't think anything could ever match Gusty Gardens but I was wrong.)
    A Hat In Time (The Moon Jumper may have been cut from the game but his theme is still my favorite song in it.)
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Just imagine how incredible this OST would have been if it had been recorded with actual instruments and vocals.)
    Bravely Default (My favorite non-Persona battle theme.)
    Mother 3 (It's a real shame that most western gamers haven't experienced Mother 3 or it's awesome OST.)
    Animal Crossing: Wild World (The first game I ever played on DS at age 8 and it has stuck with me.)
    Animal Crossing: City Folk (Always put's me in a good mood.)
    Pikmin 3 (The only Pikmin game I've ever played, and while the game can be stressful at times the music is just so chill.)
    Journey (The music in this game is so unspeakably beautiful. It should have won that Grammy.)

Also the Donkey Kong series. I've never played any DK games, but I love their music.

DK Music Orchestrated

That's all of them. At least all the ones I can think of. Most of these are games I either played early in childhood or very recently since through ages 10 to 18 I wasn't really allowed to play games at full volume at home and most of my gaming was done on handhelds at school so I couldn't really play them with the sound on. As a result my appreciation of video game music is fairly recent. I can remember loving the Animal Crossing: Wild World soundtrack as an 8 year old, but I couldn't really appreciate how good it actually is until now.

• Game OST's have to do something pretty interesting for me to consider listening to them outside of playing the game. I do really like the Dragon Quest OSTs as far as more conventional scoring goes, however.

Some favs: Moon Remix RPG Adventure, Chulip, Evergrace, Drakengard, Katamari Damacy, Enemy Zero, Jet Set Radio, Chulip, Lack of Love, Giftpia.

• @michemagius I must say I think I loved 90% of those tracks you posted, the taste is impeccable! For me a game that is terrible ignored for its music would have to be The world Ends With You (A game terribly ignored on all accounts not just the music).

I remember reading years ago that music was such a big component for this game it took up a quarter of the memory on the DS cart. I think my favourite track overall is 'Three Minutes Clapping'

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYSYy3cnBII)

The opening pysches me up so much. The soundtrack even got a nice little remix of sorts when character from TWEWY ended up in dream drop distance, with the twister twister remix being my favorite.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp0viroPHgk)

The horns, the vocals the R&B beats just makes me wanna dance!!

• Thunder Force gives me life. Every track has so much power and makes you feel like a badass. It completely matchs the tone and style of the game which is just as important. I'm dreadful at the series having only recently become a fan but this music is jaw-dropping. I wish I had played this as a kid but I didn't own a Megadrive. They just don't make music like this anymore.

Besides that I really enjoyed Stewboy's soundtrack to the Doom Wad Ancient Aliens. Just so unique and has so much personality compared to many other Doom wads. It helps set it apart from the pack when you play so many generic buttrock or recycled game tracks. Helps that Ancient Aliens was my GOTY but the music definitely contributed to that.

• @JamboHyland95 I've been dying to play The World Ends with You! I just love the aesthetics and I love any excuse to pull out my DS. I've also heard really good things about the music and based on the song you posted they seem to ring true.

• It's late and I can't be bothered to look up links to all of my favorites (nevermind how I'll definitely forget some) but Hideki Naganuma is my favorite video game composer by far and generally speaking music in that style is my wheelhouse.

That and acoustic tracks. Pretty hard swing in the other direction I guess but that's just my preferences.

@michemagius TWEWY is the second best DS game and one of the best games ever in general.

• @michemagius If you have a big enough phone (Android or iOS) I'd try get that version! The art is crisp and clear and free from all pixelation and the soundtrack sounds a lot clearer because there's no compression. Also the games mechanics suit the phone really well.

• This post is deleted!

• I am obsessed with this track from Tropical Freeze at the moment.

Youtube Video

And I haven't actually played the game! It's been in my backlog for years, but now I'm hoping it'll be re-released on the Switch.

• If you like orchestral music, I highly recommend Symphonic Suite Final Fantasy. Arranged and orchestrated by Katsuhisa and Takayuki Hattori and performed by the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra in 1989, it's an incredible work. Keeping in mind that all that existed at the time were the NES titles, and that pieces like Prelude didn't even have an official melody, the arrangement is incredible. Scenes V and VII are my favorites.

Symphonic Suite Final Fantasy

I'm a big fan of the use of leitmotif in games, and Uematsu is a master of it. It's becoming something of a rarity now that music is a more balanced part of a game's presentation. In years past it was probably the most direct way to convey the mood of a scene and the personality of characters before voice acting and 3D animation were common. I'm happy to hear it when it is used still...Toby Fox in particular did a great job using it in Undertale.

• @Gaming_Groove All of Distant Worlds is on youtube, too! Really great overall, though I don't love some of the arrangements. The orchestral version of "You are not alone" really falls flat for me, especially given that it's probably my favorite track in the series (so pumped about its recent resurgence in this community). I feel like orchestral versions of old video game music tends to fall into the trap of going big, like they're finally showcasing what the composer really meant for the song to sound like. They lose a lot of the charm in inventiveness of the music that way, IMO. Still, those FF7 tracks are godly with a full orchestra. The arrangement of The Bombing Mission completely blew me away.

• There is a Swedish guy named Jonas Tunander that did 2 really good albums with covers called "Bitpop Vol 1 & Vol 2". You could freely download them from his website before but they are gone now but both albums are on YouTube. I recommend them for some easy listening.

Bitpop Vol.1
    Youtube Video

Bitpop Vol.2
    Youtube Video