Bemani/Rhythm Games

• It's a very niche genre nowadays, but I've been a huge fan of them for around 15 years. I used to play DDR and In The Groove competitively between 2003 and 2006. I still occasionally play and stream beatmania IIDX on my twitch channel, though I haven't done so in several months since I've moved to a new place and haven't gotten my streaming setup sorted out. I've made it a point to at least try every game in the genre that I could get my hands on.

So how about it? I know it's a long shot, but are there any rhythm game fans in the community?

Bonus - Here's the very first video I ever posted to Youtube. Gotta love the comment accusing me of being a phony lol

• I love DDR, but I rarely get to play it. It's not convenient for me to get to the nearest arcade machine, and I refuse to use a home version because the experience is so different without that huge industrial pad, high-quality screen, and crisp sound system.

What I DO do a lot of though, is listen to the soundtrack. Might be my third favorite franchise for game music behind Zelda and Elder Scrolls:

Exotic Ethnic
    Over The "Period"
    Paranoia Survivor Max
    Trip Machine Climax
    Pluto Black Hole
    Pluto Relinquish
    Afronova Primeval
    Drop Out
    The Legend of Max
    Matsuri Japan

• With all the current consoles being region free, do you understand how excited I am about the possibility of finally getting to play some Taiko no Tatsujin? lol

I also absolutely adore Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and to a somewhat lesser degree Elite Beat Agents. Was a little heartbroken that the Rap Rabbit kickstarter was such a failure, but hopefully they learn from their mistakes and try again sometime.

• @Minamik I hear you on the region free thing...the tricks and mods I've had to resort to over the years have been ridiculous. lol

Ouendan and Taiko no Tatsujin are fantastic. I had trouble getting into Elite Beat Agents...the music selection didn't appeal to me and the note sounds don't have as much impact as Ouendan. Great game, just not for me.

I hadn't heard of Rap Rabbit before today, but if they try again I will definitely support it. Seems pretty rad.

• As far as DDR, all I ever had was the crappy pad that game with one of the PS2 games, so I was never very good at it, but had fun nonetheless. I think the versions I had were DDR Max and Max2?

As far as songs I remember liking goes:

Sana Morette ne Ente, Dark Black Forest, I Like to Move It, Sandstorm (obviously), Dynamite Rave, Matsuri Japan, and Cutie Chaser? I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of them.

• DDR Max and Max2 were probably the best US releases. Most of the subsequent releases had crazy unlock systems and cut a lot of songs from the arcade.

Soft pads are alright, especially if you play on a hard floor or tape them down to some plywood and cover them with plastic. I still have a couple, but I mostly play on this:

alt text

• I love Rhythm games! I don't play them very often anymore since not many of them come out these days but I really do enjoy them. The appeal to me is mainly the music and the outlandish stories that usually accompany them. My only issue with Rhythm games is that I've never beat one. Why you ask? Not because they didn't hold my attention or because I though they were bad. No. It's because I suck at rhythm games. Years of choir and musical theater have taught me that I have decent rhythm when it comes to singing and dancing. My one semester of band however taught me that my hands have absolutely no coordination whatsoever. I literally can't make my fingers do what I want them to.

In any case, these are my favorite Rhythm Games:

Space Channel 5
    Space Channel 5 Part 2
    DDR (For PS2 and in arcades)
    Persona 4: Dancing All Night
    Taiko no Tatsujin
    Elite Beat Agents

• I love rhythm games of all types, but for me, the ones I love most are the oddball story-based ones. Parappa the Rapper, Elite Beat Agents, Space Channel 5 etc. are all games I absolutely adore for their charm.

One of my all time favorites has to be Samba De Amigo. The style, the song selection and the overall silliness of playing with the maraca controller. I have spent so much time on that game that is drinks on obsession, getting 100% on every song on both the original and the Japanese sequel, V. 2000 with a controller and getting the majority of songs at 100% with the innacurate maracas.

There is just something about that series that really clicked with me on all fronts and it is an absolute shame that the Wii sequel just didn't work well. They at least needed to have a traditional control option as the soundtrack was spectacular, but the motion controls were even more inaccurate than the original maracas.

• @BogusMeatFactory speaking of oddball story based rhythm games, how did you like the stream this week? lol

It's been so long since I last played Space Channel 5, I'm going to have to go back and play it again this weekend after being reminded of how awesome it is.

• @Gaming_Groove

I loved me some space channel 5! Weird story... all of the games I love, I at first hated with a dire passion. I stink at them and quickly blamed the game itself. The reality? I didn't have rhythm! I couldn't for the life me of, get past the first encounter in space channel five. Now I can easily get to the asteroid field with no issues. It does get super tough from there on out, but it is possible.

I have space channel 5 part 2 on pc, but I have yet to fire it up. Why? I have no idea.

• Hey everyone, going to be streaming some Pop'n Music and IIDX today in about 10 minutes if anyone is interested!

• Global Moderator

Ah Bemani, one of the few areas where Konami still occasionally makes new games.

If I'm every at a theater or arcade and they have DDR I always make a point to play at least a round. I was never amazing at DDR but I have a number of fond memories from the late ps2 era with super nova and extreme

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.