Weeb Games (Japanese Games Appreciation Thread)

• @JamboHyland95 If you have yet to jump in to the Danganronpa series I would highly recommend it, if you have the stomach for a lot of character deaths. Like, guaranteed your favorite character will die, and it will affect you personally. On the other hand the executions are both sickly entertaining and horribly upsetting in a way that makes you both apprehensive and excited for them. Some deaths and executions still piss me off or make me upset. Like, I'll be spreading butter on my toast and all the sudden just go "GOD DAMNIT" and loose the will to eat toast with butter. But the stories and characters are really awesome. The stories are pretty independent of each other until the endings so you can play them in any order unless you don't want the first game's mastermind spoiled for you. If I were to rank the games I would go:

Characters: 1 and 3 tied above 2. (But they all have great characters.)
    Deaths (In Terms of Shock Value): 1, 3, 2.
    Executions (In Terms of Over the Top Gruesomeness): 3, 2, 1. (Yeah you'll be shocked initially by the first game's executions but they go WAY further in the sequels.)
    Story (In Terms of Over the Top Craziness): 3, 2, 1. (But they're all a lot crazier than your average fare.)
    Endings (In Terms of WTF-ness): 3 above 1 and 2 which are tied. (But they're all pretty WTF.)

If you're going to go with 1 or 2 first, get the 1.2 Reload version. It comes with bonus games that are unlocked after a full play through that is basically a "what-if" scenerio for the games where no one dies. Danganronpa v3 has a mode like this too but it comes individually with the game. It feels real good to just interact with the characters without fear of them dying. Those are basically all I play now because I've become so attached to the characters that playing the main game would hurt too much.

• @Torigasa-Reta

Goddamn weebs weebing up the place with their gross-ass weebdom, what is wrong with you?

I'm a big fan of Breath of Fire (IV specifically), Catherine, and Lost Odyssey. Goddamn LO was so good it hurts.

• @JamboHyland95 After Cold Steel wait some time before you play Cold Steel 2 as they are very similar and 2 obvioulsy reuses a bunch of areas.
    If you want to dabble into full weeb teritory and got no problem with fanservice and inuendos, give the Hyperdimension Neptunia series a try, though I'd advise to go for the Rebirth version for at least the 1st game, while I personally enjoyed the original back then, it's the weakest gameplay wise and can put people off, the 2nd already changed a lot for the better (except the NISA localization which is full of mistakes, character breaks).

@Sonmi
    Back to the discord with you, normie
    alt text

• @Torigasa-Reta I was just about to ask, are those kinda games worth it? I own the first Neptunia game on PC but always see Senran Kagura or akiba's trip and other similar games on sale. Can someone who's played them vouch for them being genuinely good? Or at least something fun to veg out to, I always kinda shied away from them even though I was interested because I felt they were putting fan service before gameplay, and if that's the case I could just Google fan service.

• @JamboHyland95 I haven't played Senran Kagura so I can't vouch for it, but I can vouch for Akiba's Trip...Kind of. Akiba's Trip is pretty ecchi, so if you're in to that or at least aren't bothered by it you'll enjoy it. I mean, it's not as ecchi as say, something from HunniePot, but it's still pretty over the top. In fact I think the game is more concerned with the over-the-top absurdity of it's story and scenerio than the actual absurdity of it's gameplay. More like, "Gosh can you believe you have to strip all of these vampires to defeat them" not "Gosh can you believe how sexy it is to forcefully rip people's clothes off" because if that was the case I would see this game more as creepy than as just wacky. So yeah, if you can take some absurdity it's fun. Some pluses of the game is that the majority of the shops you can go to in game are real life shops in Akihabara and that the avatar is highly customizable, resulting in some real fun outfits. I haven't beat the game, so for all I know this game could take a real gross turn later in the story, but Reina Scully likes it so I'll give it my vote of confidence.

• @michemagius I'll have to try it out sometime if I see it on sale or something, its seems like the perfect game for the Vita.

• @JamboHyland95 Yeah, it's one of the only non Persona/Danganronpa games I own for the system. It's good to pick up and play for a few minutes in between other things, but I wouldn't recommend playing it in public. At least not in a place where other people can see your screen. I made the mistake of playing Fire Emblem Fates in public during an S Rank support and I still haven't lived it down.

• @JamboHyland95 Senran Kagura is some good stuff. They won't blow your mind or anything but I think they're some pretty dang fun musou-ish games. Akiba's Trip is a dumb, dumb game but it's definitely the fun kinda dumb. I remember beating up the final boss with a teddy bear while doing jojo poses.

• @michemagius that's another thing!! How do people play these games on big tv's where people can see them?! I admire anyone with the courage to do so.

• @DeweyDTruman That last sentence made it an immediate buy. Thank you.

• Games im looking forward to getting to play

Xenoblade 2 : Day 1 buy for me im going to pre order the special edition next time i go to the city
    Digimon story cyber sleuth2 : the first was one of my favriote games of 2016 and a great surprise
    Ys 8: waiting for a price drop and its problems to get worked out

Also any news on trails of cold steel 3?

• @JamboHyland95 Well if you got the 1st Neptunia game already, and afaik the PC version is the better Rebirth version, there is no harm in trying it out.
    For Senran Kagura it's difficult since I don't know you, I'd simply suggest to watch a playthrough of the beginning of the SK game you want, make sure it shows the story sequences and gameplay, or get the games cheap. For the 1st game on 3DS, Burst I'd suggest to hold off, they are remaking this game for PS4 so it plays like the other games. The gameplay of the original was very rough around the edges and it was a sidescrolling beat em up, the genral direction of the series is hack & slay.

that's another thing!! How do people play these games on big tv's where people can see them?! I admire anyone with the courage to do so.

I live alone, lol.

@FF7Cloud Havn't heard anything lately, and I dread the day they announce that NISA will do that one too shivers.

• @Torigasa-Reta I was literally looking at a review for the latest one on PS4 and it genuinely looks like a good turn your brain off game (hope that's not offensive to anyone who really loves these games) so I think I'm gonna take the weeby plunge!

• @JamboHyland95 The most recent one isn't really representive of the series gameplay wise though, as I assume you mean Peach Beach Splash, it's also lighter on story, yet it's canon that links into the next upcoming game SK: 7EVEN and even explains the discrepancies between the 3DS and the Sony system games. I enjoyed and even platinumed it but I'm not sure if it would be a good 1st game to get into the series, I'd suggest Shinovi Versus on Vita or Steam

• @JamboHyland95 and everyone else who is interested
    GoG has a bundle with all 3 Neptunia Rebirth games for like 12 bucks

https://www.gog.com/promo/20171026_halloween_hyperdimension_bundle

• @Torigasa-Reta many thanks for the heads up!

• A great JRPG I enjoyed a lot on PS4 is getting a Steam release on November 21st
    https://www.dualshockers.com/world-of-final-fantasy-pc-release-date-trailer-preorder/
    Youtube Video

This game is super charming and adorable, and the battle system has a speed up function.

• SE uploaded the Opening video for the Secret of Mana remake

English
    Youtube Video

Japanese
    Youtube Video

• Anyone gonna get the .hack trilogy on PS4? Never played them myself but saw the anime ways back, was wondering if they were any use? They look pretty awesome though.

• @JamboHyland95 I think the G.U. anime was a prequel to the G.U. trilogy of games, but I might be misremembering.

And yeah, I ordered it. Gotta show CC2 that there's still demand for more .Hack// haha