PC GAMING GEAR THREAD

• My current (el cheapo LCD backup) monitor runs at 1366x768 60hz. My good monitor (a 19" CRT waiting repair) would be running either 1280x960 85hz or 1600x1200 85hz depending on the task.

• @oscillator You are in the second highest Steam demographic!

• I haven't posted my system in here yet?

This is my gaming setup that I built a few months ago:
    Ryzen 9 3900x with an EK AIO 360 cooler
    MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16-19-19-39
    Currently have a 2060 KO Ultra that I bought as a stopgap card until the 3000 series dropped, will be going into my media server after.
    Prob gonna get a 3080 next week.
    Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1 TB M.2 SSD
    Seasonic Focus PX-750
    LG LG 34GK950F-B 34" Ultrawide primary monitor installed on a Monoprice Workstream arm.
    Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 1900x1200 10 year old monitor for chat windows/stream monitoring
    Corsair K95 w Cherry MX Brown keys
    Razer Deathadder mouse
    Rode NT1 USB on the PSA1 Studio boom arm.
    Cyberpunk edition MS controller and charging cradle
    Thrustmaster T16000m HOTAS (just arrived today!)
    Autonomous Smartdesk 2 Premium adjustable height desk in Bamboo/Black
    Autonomous Ergochair 2
    SMSL AD18 80W2 USB DSP DAC/AMP
    (currently in the process of being made, shipping at the end of the month) Beyerdynamic DT 177X from Drop
    (eventually) Vanatoo Transparent Zero desktop speakers

0_1599625770024_20200904_174135.jpg

• I have;

FX 8350
    8 GB RAM
    RX 590 OC

Probably will wait to build a completely new system towards the end of 2021.

• Hey @TokyoSlim mind if I ask you more unsolicited PC questions?

I was looking into some of these ultrawide gaming monitors and a lot of the G-Sync ones seem to be a lot more expensive than the FreeSync ones. I noticed the LG monitor you have scored really well on Rtings and they mention how Freesync tech is compatible with Nvidia, but is there any noticeable downsides you know of by using a Freesync monitor with an Nvidia card?

I'm sure the G-sync monitor paired with an Nvidia card is more or less a bell and whistle, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

• As far as I can tell, there's nothing specifically that is a downside of using freesync with an NVIDIA card. The main difference between the two is that freesync is an open source SOFTWARE application and SOME G-Sync has the additional hardware built into the display so that allows some more "advanced features" to work. Thats what makes them more expensive. If what you're looking for is adaptive refresh rates without screen tearing as a baseline - both of them seem to work fine.

Essentially, it's just two (It's actually like 6, with the Free/G-sync Pro/Advanced/etc) competing standards for the same thing, like HDR. (Dolby Vision vs HDR10+, etc)

So, basically G-sync is more expensive because it's got additional G-sync chips in the monitor - so essentially it's compatible with both "formats". I don't think I can tell the difference though.

• @TokyoSlim

Thanks! I thiiiiiink my skepticism comes from general consumerism where I assume I need to spend the extra few hundred to get the true experience.

I might work something out with my boss. We are owed some credit from Dell on an over payed lease so maybe I can weasel a new fancy pants monitor for "work". To a degree it's true because we stream these Colour Correction edits through a proprietary connection, but it isn't effective to review colour on a poor monitor. Everybody else has these fancy iPad Pros but I didn't get one.

• I want to modify one of these to work with 2020 hardware:

• Probably wouldn't take much "modifying" it's an ATX format case, so it was designed to fit the same motherboards we're still using. Those mid towers would probably be easiest, you'd really only have to worry about airflow and internal clearance - as stuff like GPU's and CPU coolers are much bigger now than they used to be.

• Today is GTX 3080 series embargo day, (was delayed because some outlets didn't receive their test samples in time) so expect to have a bunch of people freaking out on twitter if they aren't as great as promised, or are better than promised, or are exactly what was expected. Or some combination of all three.

And then prepare for Founders Edition preorders to drop like less than 24h later.

• @tokyoslim said in PC GAMING GEAR THREAD:

if they aren't as great as promised, or are better than promised, or are exactly what was expected. Or some combination of all three.

called it

• Nice breakdown!

One thing I don't like about gaming on PC is that I feel like I have to relearn every buzzword or little detail about function, compatibility, and all that whenever I'm in the market for new hardware. I just don't keep up enough for it to be etched in my mind. But I swear there have been significant improvements and digestible information across the board since I was last looking in 2015-2016. The DF breakdown of these cards puts such easy to understand info out there. I have currently have X-Graphics Card and will get Y-Percentage of a performance boost with a 3080. Easy peasy.

I'm going to take baby steps. I'm going to upgrade my monitor before November then maybe when the next version of the 3000 series like a 3080 Ti comes out, I'll bite then.

Just curious, but I've always bought a 3rd party card. I remember my buddy got those dirt cheap ZOTAC 980 cards back in the day which were significantly cheaper than the rest of the market. Reviews said "be cautious" but that ZOTAC model is still kicking for him in 2020. I currently have an ASUS 1080 card. I haven't even noticed any hiccup or slowdown on any game @ 1440p in like 4 years. Is there a significant benefit to getting a Founder's card that I don't know of?

• That's kind of a question loaded with some implied historical perspective attached:

So the past few generations "Founders Editions" have been the first cards on the market, like these ones are going to be. They've been priced $100ish above MSRP (AKA early adopter tax) and have usually come with sub-par coolers. The 1000 series FE had a "blower" style fan that mechanically is essentially the same technology as one of those old rattle-can bathroom exhaust fans. The 2000 series FE, also came with lackluster cooling. The upside is that NVIDIA - being the one that manufacturers and ships all the processors to the 3rd party partners, generally keeps the best quality chips for their own stock. So FE cards were popular with the folks who were going to strip the crappy fan off it, and put a water cooling block on it.

The third party vendors, meanwhile, have spent all their R&D money on designing elaborate multi-fan cooling solutions and increasing the quality of things like capacitors and power delivery so that they can usually overclock even the below-premium-tier chips to higher clock speeds and wring more performance out of them. They will then usually charge several hundred dollars more than MSRP for these cards.

You may be asking yourself - well if both NVIDIA and 3rd party partners are charging more than MSRP for cards, then is it really an MSRP? And I'd say, exactly. :) That was one of the major complaints about the 2000 series. First off, it was like 40% more expensive at the fictional MSRP than the 1000 series, and on top of that, There were basically very few cards not on sale that were even priced that low. The 2080ti was supposed to be $1k, but You basically were paying $1200-1600 for one.

So TLDR, in the last two generations - you were generally better off buying a well reviewed 3rd party vendor card than an FE unless you were planning on stripping the cooler off it and water cooling in terms of performance. (and generally looks, though that's subjective)

BUTTTTT

The new cooler on the 3080 FE this time looks to be... actually good? While stuff like the highest grade capacitors and power delivery will probably still allow higher overclocking on 3rd party cards - most of those cards are going to be above MSRP again, and the FE this time is not. So this is basically the most attractive FE card in 2 generations for regular people who aren't building water (or mineral oil, or some other fluid) cooling systems.

• @dipset said in PC GAMING GEAR THREAD:

I'm going to upgrade my monitor before November then maybe when the next version of the 3000 series like a 3080 Ti comes out, I'll bite then.

That's hopefully probably around when you'll be able to get most of the cards anyhow. The first wave of cards is almost always immediately sold out and they don't reload for a few months. But yeah, that's definitely a solid strategy if there's other things you need to upgrade. Do those first.

Also the 1080 is still a beast of a card if you don't care about ray tracing or DLSS. Ray tracing is still in somewhat early adopter territory, though stuff that that comes out from now on will most likely take advantage of the RT cores in the newer cards to SOME extent - but DLSS 2.0 is a game changer, IMO.

• Digital Foundry explains/tests DLSS 2.0

Youtube Video

• @TokyoSlim

Thanks again Tokyo. I am willing to take my chances on a slightly inferior GPU fan. I currently have a $40 Cooler Master on my CPU and that's it. Seems like the price point of the FE is way more valuable to me than some bells and whistles that will up the price of the 3rd party models in the near future. I know I'm not looking to purchase this year, but I now know what goes into the pricing and these manufacturer differences going forward.

Thanks!

• May not even be slightly inferior this time around. Looks to potentially be one of the better air coolers on the market. :)

• 3080's dropping in 15 min. Good luck.

• What can be a good and cheaper alternative to this:

https://www.msi.com/PC-case/MAG-FORGE-100R