Anyone else binged on old games recently?

• I actualy had to "repair" my PS2 before playing Yakuza 2, had to adjust the laser's angle little by little till I was satisfied (that means pull the plugs, open it up, adjust only a tiny bit, put it together, plug it in, rinse and repeat many times), there were still some sound hick ups when entering a save room in Y2 but else it worked fine.

• Oldest game I'm currently working on is TES IV: Oblivion (Xbox 360). Been on and off of it since 2008. My single save file is well over the 200 hour mark now, and I haven't even done the Fighter's Guild or any major DLC.

I'd like to get back to unlocking the cheats in Perfect Dark (N64), but I've got newer backlog in the way.

• I recently finished re-playing through all of Half Life 2 and both episodes (Jones read my September community comment about it, was excited to see him read it lol). The whole Mark Laidlaw story where he posted his vision of Episode 3 made me want to do it again since I hadn't really played through them since they were originally released. If you're in the same boat as me and haven't played them in many many years, I'd recommend it as they definitely still hold up imo. Such good level design and interesting encounters both story and combat wise.

• I'm playing Skyrim again and I'm incredibly captivated by the game, again.
    I'm going to play Sands of Time when OXB BC goes live.

• I can't say I really think if it that way. I mean one day ill be on a PS4 title, and then the very next day ill be on my Master System. I have just about everything set up, and all my consoles are luckily working perfectly.

Getting some play out of my new Snes Mini aside, I can't say I binge on anything. Just like picking a movie, when I comes to choosing what to play next, I don't really think about when it was made.

• Not super recently but within the past few months I've been replaying sections of older games that I own. I physically own copies of all the Persona games but I'm not able to play all of them because I don't own a PS1 or PSP and a few of the copies are in Japanese, but there are two that I can play and haven't beaten, Persona 3 and 4. I beat Golden and P3P on Vita so I bought the originals for my PS2 just for posterity. P3 FES specifically so I could play through the Answer. However in both cases I found it hard to find enough time when I was alone at home and therefore was able to use the TV to play them. Now that my school/work schedule has shifted off from my family's, I have more time to commit to playing games that I can only play on a TV which for me has been PS2 games.

Outside of Persona I've been playing some Stretch Panic from time to time. It emotionally scarred me as a child as the music and a few of the fights were the scariest things I had ever seen. Now that I'm 20 they don't really scare me anymore but the game is still the freakiest and most eerie experience I've ever had with a game. It's easy to pick up and play for like 30-45 minutes because it's a boss rush and doesn't require a huge time commitment (at least when you're used to the controls, otherwise it will take you a lot longer).

Another game that is easy to pick up and play for a little while is We Love Katamari. It's probably my favorite Katamari game and the only one I physically own for PS2. The others I all have on Vita or PS3 digitally. It doesn't have my favorite music of all the Katamari games (though I adore "Heaven's Rain", it brings me so much peace whenever I hear it), that honor belongs to the original Katamari Damacy or Katamari Forever. WLK however, had the most unique and memorable levels in all of the Katamari games.

I've also played a few more hours of the original Okami. It was one of the games I loved but never got very far in to as child because I unknowingly lacked the very important element of a memory card. Since I finally figured out what was wrong and bought a memory card when I pulled my PS2 out of a closet 2 years ago, I've been trying to slowly beat the original so that I have some sense of closure on the whole thing.

The first game I ever owned for my first console (which was the PS2) was Spyro: A Hero's Tail (or Tale maybe? I can't remember) and it too was inhibited by my lack of a memory card. My cousins blamed my lack of progress in the game on my being 7 years old at the time and being a girl, but looking back on it they probably knew I was missing a memory card. Anyway as a result I could recite to you every line of dialogue from the first 2 hours of the game because I heard them so many times growing up. I never played any other Spyro games and I've heard good things about the series so I feel like I should play one. But I think I should beat Hero's Tail (Tale?) first, seeing as it was the first game I ever owned that wasn't a part of the Math Blaster series.

In terms of games I want to buy for the PS2 I've always been very intrigued by Chulip. I've only seen a few minutes of gameplay so I don't fully understand the concept, but I love the way that it looks. After hearing the Allies praise these games I've really wanted to pick up: Sly Cooper, Shadow of the Colossus, and Dragon Quest: VIII. In Dragon Quest's case I'm kind of torn as to which platform I should buy for it for, I love the way it looks on PS2 compared to how it looks on 3DS, but I really hate random battles (part of why I can never put Bravely Default or Persona 2: IS in my top 5 JRPG's despite loving everything else about those games). I don't want my opinion of the game to be dragged down by my aversion to random battles. I also know that I have a higher chance of beating it if I get it on 3DS since I'm on the go a lot. But I just can't get over how much better it looks on PS2.

In any case, that's where I stand with retro gaming.

• @Lotias My backwards compatible 80gb died about a year ago and I am still not over it. I tried to open it to reflow the solder but had no success. It could have been worse as I had JUST finished a playthrough of Ni No Kuni but I still miss my baby. Plus, I have like 40 games I have never beaten (or even played, in some cases) for it. It's tough because even if you buy another instead of repairing, there's no telling how long that one will last.

• @E_Zed_Eh_Intern That sucks man, the only time I've ever had a console straight up stop working on me was my WiiU and that happened about 3 months after I bought it. Luckily I was able to contact Nintendo's customer service and once they determined it was a manufacturing error that caused it to die they sent me a new WiiU which has lasted me this long. I'm kind of surprised none of my other consoles have had any big issues. Especially my PS2 that's 13 years old and spent about 7 years of that time under a bunch of junk in a dusty closet.

• My roommates and I are slowly going through the Resident Evil series. We started on ReMake Remastered and are now nearly done RE2. These games do not age much at all (except for the maps and voices) so I'd recommend anybody to go through them.

Not necessarily a binge. We haven't even beat two games in more than 3 months, but we're having fun playing old games.

• Sorta! I keep my backlog/wanna play list organized by year, so I kinda alternate between stuff that I have around or what's convenient and then I'll dip back into that backlog.

Right now I'm mostly finished with 1993 (waiting for a decent sale on Romancing SaGa II), and last week I played Donkey Kong '94 for the first time and really dug it.

• Just got a retropie and have been going nuts on DKC1-3 and Final Fantasy III(6). Good times.

• I'm always playing old games alongside new games cause frankly they're cheaper and there's so many good ones, but lately I guess hitting up half of my SNES Classic counts as bingeing

• Yep, since I got a New 3DS I've been binging on some SNES games. (DKC series, Super Mario World, do wish SMRPG was on the New 3DS's VC though, would like to play it on the go legally)

• @Mbun Well... they're cheaper unless the publisher didn't manufacture enough copies!

A new copy of Way of the Samurai 2 was going for about $140. I managed to find a used copy in good condition for about $30. I was surprised that the second game cost so much more than the first considering the first was published by BAM! and the second was published by Capcom. Maybe they made TOO many copies of the first game so there are still a lot of them floating around out there? I can't imagine the second game sold much better though. Maybe Capcom were just more careful about making more than they needed to at the time.

• @Light Hey! Me, too. I fell out with the series a long time ago but I found Combat Horizon on Steam about 3 months ago and played through it. It was surprisingly fun. I heard the series had taken a turn for the worse but I had good time with it. Maybe it's because I came into it with tempered expectations. But it has made me pumped for Skies Unknown.

• @Caleb_Aranda The new one definitely seems like it could be a return to form. I don't have VR but hopefully it's still a lot of fun without it!

• I just bought Diablo 3 on pc after playing it years ago on PS4. Getting into that this week before Mario. Does that count?

• In the last three years I have played almost exclusively JRPGs from the SNES/Genesis to PS2/Gamecube eras. Some of them I had played before but never completed, quite a few I hadn't even played at all. It really brought back my love for gaming in a BIG way.

• Yeah I've been playing Breath of Fire III lately. I love the aesthetic or mixing 3D polygon environments wrapped in pixelated sprite-like textures. I remember disliking that look at the time, but it has aged really well to my mind. It allows for a lot of detail, and mixes well with actual sprite work. I find myself hoping for the indie scene to use it as an alternative to 16-bit or full 3D. Then I remember that Octopath Traveler is doing just that.

• Playing through Half Life 2 would you believe it; Having endless fun chopping heads off Zombies in Ravenholm.

Also Call of Juarez:Gunslinger is a surpisingly good little cowboy game with a little frontier history thrown in for good measure.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.