What Games Do You Think Should Be Remade?

• I know it can be frustrating at times when a good chunk of game announcements are remasters and remakes of older games instead of fresh new ones, but I think there are lots of cases where remaking games can be really good. There are a lot of young people (including myself I guess) who really got in to games a few years ago and since they were too young to play some of the classics when they came out they missed the boat on those experiences. It's been really tough to find copies of PS2 and GameCube games in good condition for me since college has me on a tight budget, I couldn't imagine trying to actually buy a console much less games from earlier eras. The NES and SNES Classic Editions show a bit of hope for me being able to one day experience N64 games but those sell out so quickly that I don't want to get too hopeful. Besides that, some games have controls or designs that just seem very foreign to gamers who didn't grow up around them. Take Final Fantasy VII for example, I've heard such amazing things about the game and I really want to experience something that's been so important to the gaming community on the whole, but I really struggled with it's controls and battle system. The perspective out of battles seemed very strange to me and the mechanics in battles just seemed odd and unintuitive to me. I'm sure that if I spent some more time with the game I would grow accustomed to it, but the controls have been quite the hurdle stopping me from playing FF7.

There is a glimmer of hope though, Final Fantasy VII Remake! I'm very much looking forward to this games, I know the battle system is no longer turn based like I had hoped but it looks very beautiful and will likely be easier for me to understand. I'm most excited about finally understanding why everyone loves Cloud and why everyone hates Sephiroth as right now they just seem to me to be dudes with cool hair.

In any case, the question I want to ask is: What games do you think need a remake? Why do you think they should be remade? If you were in charge of the remake, how would you change it and what would you keep the same?

• I'd love for Panzer Dragoon Saga to be remade a game that to few many people played (since it was released on the Saturn towards the end of its life and not that many copies were made) I still have my original copy. I love the world and lore and with today's technology it could be greatly expanded. I think that Sega owns
    enough talented studios Atlus, relic & creative assembly) to give it a shot. Its sadly one of the dormant franchise's that Sega are sitting on.

• Just make the few platforming sections (namely near the end) not control like ass this time and give it some general polish (the original had framerate/graphical problems that tons of fifth gen games pushing their systems to the limit were loaded with) and I'm good.

• My personal picks for games in need of a remake are Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Mother 3 (I didn't include them in my above post because my explanations are shaping up to be quite long.)

Persona 2: IS: The reason I think this game should be remade it so that Persona and JRPG fans can finally experience it. The game is incredible, if the rest of the Persona series (excluding P1) weren't around I would have no doubt that it would be my favorite JRPG. It introduced so many key themes and elements of the Persona series and had such an amazing story and characters that I really think any Persona or JRPG fan owes it to themselves to at least try it out. Now, there are some glaring issues with the game that I think could be fixed and improvements that could be made with a remake.

Firstly, the game just looks really old. The city maps and all of the little businesses you can go to are all uniquely designed and memorable, but it looks like a PS1 game for sure. Secondly, the battle system. There's nothing actually really wrong with the battle system itself. I wish the newer games would bring back the distance system that changes what enemies and party members can be attacked based on where they have moved on the battlefield, and I like the fusion moves that let party members work together to unleash more powerful attacks. I think the addition of the press-turn system could work well here also. The one thing really dragging down P2's battles is that they're random encounter. I don't know anyone who actually likes random battles, I'm sure they exist but there's probably not a lot of them.

Now, on to some improvements that can be made to enhance what's already great about P2. Firstly, Social Links! P2's characters are some of my favorite in the series. I would give my life for Ekichi, Jun, Ginko, Maya, or Tatsuya. They're all great characters with tons of personality, and they all have incredibly meaningful character arcs that leave them not only as better people but as better friends. It's because I love the characters and their arcs so much that I want more. The character interactions you get in between dungeons and the optional ones you can get when checking in with each party member at a specific store or restaurant are all wonderful, but short. I don't just want to read a paragraph from Ekichi about his dreams of being a rock star, I want to have a conversation with him about it. And, your dating options in P2 are some of the best in the series. Every dateable character is amazing (P2 is the only Persona game where you can date a dude while also being a dude, and it's the best romance in the series trust me) and the interactions you get with the person you're dating are really fun and sweet, but again they're too short. Persona 2's characters stand toe to toe with the rest of the series and they deserve to be fleshed out just as much as the others. Another change that needs to be made is Persona fusion and demon negotiations. The two are present and deeply intertwined in Persona 2 but also very confusing. The negotiations are very difficult to figure out and rely on appealing to the correct out of 4 emotions that a demon can experience through talking to you, and every party member can participate in negotiations, some can even team up, which I like and think should return, but it's just so difficult trying to figure out which combination of characters should do the negotiating and what type of appeal they should use. Which I forgot to mention. Every character has different appeals they can make to the demons, and they're actually one of the best parts of the game, like Jun discussing a demon's horoscope or Tatsuya making motorcycle noises. In any case if you successfully negotiate with a demon they can give you items or cards, and the cards can be spent to fuse new Personas for the entire party. This system is so confusing that I went through my entire first play through not knowing I could get new Personas.

Next up is aspects of the games I want to return. RUMORS. The rumor system is probably the coolest thing in any Persona game. In the world of P2 there's some stuff going down that I won't spoil, but as a result rumors are coming true. In order to buff up your party you need weapons and armor. Where would you get weapons and armor in modern (or 90's I guess) Japan? An Ex-spy who hangs out at the ramen shop of course. But when you first meet her she of course denies any of that being true. In order to change reality in a way that is favorable to you, you have to visit rumormongers who are savvy, well connected people in the city who will spread rumors for you at a price. You can even shape the rumors to your will in ways like specifying how expensive or how high quality the weapons/armor are going to be (pro-tip always go high price/high quality). Another great system that should return is food. You heard me, food. There are like 10 places to get food in the game each with a unique menu, and each food gives varying buffs to a party member for a limited time. It's really fun to guess which foods do what and which party members will like each food. I also really want to see the music of P2 return. Shoji Meguro unlike in the other Persona games was not the composer but the director. Nonetheless the game's music is outstanding. Meguro even did something like 100 new arrangements for the PSP re-release and those are all incredible as well. These are some of my favorites that I really think are worth checking out.
    Parabellum II - Shoji Meguro Mix
    Maya's Theme
    Boss Battle Theme
    Ginko's Theme

Now, I can realistically say the chances of this remake happening are very slim. For one, not many fans show a whole lot of interest in the game. Secondly, is the story. (Spoiler ahead so read at your own risk.)

In the game one of the villains is literally Hitler. In re-releases they gave him sunglasses and called him the Fuhrer but it's still pretty clear that the villain is Hitler and that the enemies you're fighting are Nazis. I and many others obviously hate Hitler and everything he stood for, and don't see any issues with making Hitler a villain or fighting Nazis, but in today's political climate I'm not sure how well it would go over, especially after seeing all the backlash Wolfenstein is getting. I think until things change Atlus would be hesitant to release a remake of P2 at least in the west, without making major changes to the game's story.

In any case I would really love to see Persona 2 with the looks of P5 and the social link system. I think it would really open up a lot of Persona fans to the history of Persona and teach them more about the lore of the Persona series that isn't directly mentioned in 3, 4, or 5, but is still present. So many people still don't know who the blue butterfly is.

Mother 3: I don't feel like I really need to explain this one too much. Mother 3 is a game that pretty much every Nintendo or JRPG fan wants to get their hands on, if not for love of the Mother series then simply because it's being withheld from western fans. I can say definitively however, that the game lives up to the hype. I've played it both on PC in English and on a friend's Game Boy Advance in Japanese. It's one of the most unique and grounded yet supremely surreal games I've ever played. The story is incredible, you will cry, I guarantee it it. The characters are the best in the Mother series and some of the best in JRPG's on the whole. (KUMATORA FOR SMASH OR I RIOT!) The music is so fun and quirky at times, super funky at times, but also soul crushingly emotional at times, it will really do a number on you.
    To Sunshine Forest
    Hard Rain
    Piggy Guys
    Love Theme (Makes me cry whenever I hear it.)

Speaking of music, the rhythm battle system is really fun and a great way to break up the monotony of battles that often comes with JRPG's. It works better on GBA though, that's for sure. The game itself it probably my favorite looking GBA title, the sprite work and animations are all just really beautiful and full of personality. The villains in this game are also probably my most hated, but in a good way.

#EatFassad #FassadCanGetRekt

They're so despicable that it drives the story to new heights. Not all the villains are awful mind you, I'd argue that the grunts of the evil organization in the game are more endearingly stupid than outright evil. And there are some non villain characters that I wouldn't mind giving a good punch in the nose as well. But those characters' relationships with other characters are really complex and compelling so I think their inclusion really improves the game's story. And the way Mother 3 ties in to the rest of the Mother series will really shock you. The revelation of the nature of Mother 3's world was so out of left field I originally thought it was a translation error or a some member of the translation team just going wild, but it's real and it's crazy.

In any case, I think the reason why Mother 3 should be remade is obvious. It's an amazing game and people want it. For my part, I just really love the look of Earthbound 64 and want to see that world realized (albeit with modern graphics). I'd also like to see the soundtrack done justice. It sounds good as is but would sound way better if recorded with real instruments.

• SOCOM II online multiplayer.

Upgrade the resolution, give us solid servers, do not change anything else. Use this as a way of Sony to gauge interest in the IP and tactical shooters in general. Doesn't have to be anything crazy. Just a low key digital-only Remaster or Remake.

• Drakengard 3. To me the game had vey intresting story and characters. The combat honestly was even better than original NieR but biggest problem with Drakengard 3 was the piss poor performance and level design.

• Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg!! This game was so jolly and fun, I think it would do well in this space at the moment with games like yooka-laylee and a hat in time.

• The SNES (best) version of Shadowrun needs a remake bad. I can't believe how many times I've been c*ckteased throughout the years by all of the concurrent shadowrun titles yet the only shadowrun title that comes close to capturing the magic of this gem is the Genesis version.

When I first played Deus Ex on ps2 waaaaaaay back in the day, I considered it a sprititual successor to the SNES classic with it's noire feel and cyberpunk themes. So far, that's the closest to getting what I've been craving. I WANT A PROPER REMAKE DAMMIT!!! Not an fps! Not a turn based tactical RPG! I want an isometric real time action RPG/adventure game like this right here!

• @ZombieProof I agree. And considering that the new Shadowrun games proved that there is interest in the world of Shadowrun, so the SNES game is just begging for being remade.

• I'll say the same game I've been saying since I was in 7th grade over 20 years ago: Final Fantasy 6.

• My picks are games that are already good-great but which could be polished up in some aspects or explored differently.

Gravity Rush: This one's pretty simple; fix the platforming, combat mechanics, and add a bunch of more dynamic gravity storms and rift planes by giving the team an AAA budget and staff. Add 3D cutscenes and voice acting for people who want it with the old gibberish voices as an option. The graphics in 2 are pretty good already, the best anime-looking-like game in my opinion. The way the blue lighting curves around the edges of Kat's deep red shifting form is beautiful. There are just a few ugly nagging corners that need a little bit more attention paid like Breath of the Wild and most every game of that style, and of course the faces could be animated better just like Persona's.

This might be a sequel, but I don't care. I want Gravity Rush: Odyssey. The gravity shifting mechanic is too interesting to not be revisited and Sony has nothing to put up against Nintendo's stable of jumping IPs currently. GR2 was great but it's not the mechanical step up I want to see for the series. It started out as a Vita game after all.

What I mean by 'fix the platforming' is make Kat feel more stable when walking on a wall, it's far too easy to trip over a ledge and plummet fast when you didn't mean to. It should be snappy and fun to land on a flying car, while in the current two games it is nigh on impossible and harder still to maintain a foothold. Gravity Rush 1 and 2's wall walking and general changing which direction meant 'down' were so interesting but were rarely if ever called upon in the games' missions. I'd like more gravity storms like the tutorial at the very start of the first game where chunks of gravity-sheared pavement are floating all around the air at odd angles. The games barely ever touch upon gravity storms after that, but black holes forming in the sky and pulling chunks of the city out into the void to serve as floating platforms would be awesome. Make platforming levels with buildings and shards of the street spinning and rotating and moving back and forth, then limit the gravity shifting gauge to be short enough that you have to leap from surface to surface. Instead of picking a direction and then falling shifting could feel like super spacey parkour and complex platforming.

alt text

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes: I just kinda want a cool scifi story about the Luminoth and Ing. Intrigue plots are one of my favorite things and I think it would be cool if Dark Samus played both sides, pitting the species against one another with Samus chasing after her, always a few steps behind. The Ing would of course have to be preexisting and more intelligent/cultured than shadow monsters, but that wouldn't be impossible for a good studio. That could also make for more considered enemy designs for Dark Aether.

And naturally things would go wrong quickly and the two sides would commit atrocities against one another on a grand enough scale to turn an inhabited world into a traditional hostile alien-infested Metroid setting like the one in Echoes for the later portion of the game. The reason I thought of this at all is the view from the Sanctuary Fortress that shows a highly advanced alien city sprawling out to the horizon, every one of its surviving residents in stasis. It would be super cool to see a before and after in actual gameplay

Obviously this isn't likely considering Nintendo's propensity to kill anything even resembling a good plot with fire, but I can still hope for Another Another 'Metroid 2' Remake.

alt text

• The day I saw the MGS3 pachislot images, I've wanted a remake of MGS3 with those visuals. It doesn't necessarily need a remake, but It's may favorite MGS/game. Add some of the gameplay mechanics from MGSV and it'll be perfection.

I've always thought a remake of MG and MG2: Solid Snake should of happened with Kojima at the helm. That feeling intensified after finishing MGSV. Both games could've really benefited from a remake considering how The Phantom Pain ended. They're even more important now when it comes to the Solid Snake and Big Boss mythology. Expanding on the those stories and experiences is something I wished happened. Both games have some great moments, which would be awesome to see translated into 3D.

• @DIPSET I'll second Socom. Any Socom. Well not Socom 4. But any other Socom. Please Sony.

• @FutureCorpse said in What Games Do You Think Should Be Remade?:

I'd love for Panzer Dragoon Saga to be remade a game that to few many people played (since it was released on the Saturn towards the end of its life and not that many copies were made) I still have my original copy. I love the world and lore and with today's technology it could be greatly expanded. I think that Sega owns
    enough talented studios Atlus, relic & creative assembly) to give it a shot. Its sadly one of the dormant franchise's that Sega are sitting on.

I wrote a gushing post about this game in the blog section of this forum...it's my all time favorite game and I'd love for there to be a re-release, even if it's only possible via an embedded emulator or something. To me it's already perfect as it is. I don't even care that the value of my copy would tank.

• @DeweyDTruman
    Hell yes to Burning Rangers.

I'd love to see Sega make the original PSO available on modern platforms, not only adding a few modern online function, but adding the split-screen from the gamecube version as well, in all seriousness though id kill for PSO Episode 1,2 and 4 on PS4 or Switch

I have a feeling a Ico remake is coming (Probaly to be announced just before the Shotc remake comes out)

• @Danjin44
    With Nier Automata being a smashing success for Taro and Platinum, I'm willing to bet we will see a remake from them sooner or later.

• @Danjin44 Drakengard 3 is the best game that I've played that I would recommend to almost no one because it is so bad that I stopped after the first ending and couldn't muster the strength to keep going.

The gameplay sucks, the design is boring, awful performance, but by god was it a wild ride.

• Final Fantasy VII is coming so I'm good. Will it take another few years of development? Most likely! As long as I get to play it before I die, I care not. Now, remasters on the other hand, I can only think of one franchise:

Spyro the Dragon (ONLY the first three developed originally by Insomniac)

The series just fell off a cliff after they stopped working on it.

• The original Deus Ex could use a facelift.

The first 3 Splinter Cell games remastered in a trilogy pack would also make me very happy!

Final Fantasy VI in the same visual style as Octopath Traveler would be insanely sexy.

• @Axel I'm guessing you're not counting the last-gen Splinter Cell 'remaster' pack. Wouldn't mind, at least, a PC remaster of the first 2 that does away with the shadow related issues they have on modern GPUs.

Also, maybe a remake of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault? (so long as regen health isn't added of course)

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.