Favorite References In Games

• It's always fun to see a game make reference to other games or media. Sometimes it's as simple as a pun or the title of a book on a shelf, but other times references can be much more obvious like a special skin or an easter egg.

What are your favorite references in games? (I'm torn as to whether guest characters count as references or not so I'll leave that up to you guys' discretion.)

Some of my favorites include:

JoJo Poses in Persona Games:

Spoileralt text
    (This also happens in Persona 2 but the image file is really big so I'm not going to post it.)

Ghibli References in Ni No Kuni:

There are a lot of little things that I think could be references to Ghibli in Ni No Kuni, but some of the more obvious ones include Marcassin's many similarities to Howl in both looks and personality when in his broken hearted state, Phil's similarities to Tombo in both looks and interests, "My Neighbor Tomtoro", Porco Grosso, and Nazzca.

Persona Tie-In's to Previous Games In the Series:

The stories of each Persona game are all pretty much independent of each other, but they do take place in the same universe and there's a surprising amount of references to the previous games in each title.

Persona 1: There obviously isn't any references to previous Persona titles since it's the first in the series.
    Persona 2: The most direct ties to another Persona game since Persona 1 characters appear in the game and act as party members.
    Persona 3: A lot of references to Persona 2 that are easy to miss. If you turn on the TV on certain days Trish, a character from P2 has a TV show and will give quick life updates about the characters of P2. In the male protag route you can play an MMORPG called Innocent Sin Online, an obvious reference to Persona 2: Innocent Sin and one of the people you play with online's user name is Maya, the name of one of the party members and later protagonist in P2. Mitsuru states in the game that her family's company, The Kirijo Group, broke off from The Nanjo Group which was the company that Persona 1 and 2 character Kei/Nate Nanjo was heir to.
    Persona 4: Lot's of easy to miss references and a few really obvious ones here. The first victim Mayumi Yamano a reporter is a reference to P2's party member/protagonist Maya Amano who was also a reporter. In game you can obtain Gekkoukan High (the school from P3) uniforms that change the win poses from the P4 party members to those of the P3 party members. You straight up visit Tatsumi Port Island and some of the locations from P3 in P4. During the ski trip in Golden Yosuke's scary story is actually just the the story of Fuuka from P3.
    Persona 5: There are posters for Rise (from P4) and Kanami (from P4 Dancing All Night) in the subway station. You can download outfits for all the party members that are inspired by the previous Persona games and change the battle themes to the ones from those games. Naoto from P4 is mentioned as the original detective prince.

• @michemagius said in Favorite References In Games:

Persona 5: There are posters for Rise (from P4) and Kanami (from P4 Dancing All Night) in the subway station. You can download outfits for all the part members that are inspired by the previous Persona games and change the battle themes to the ones from those games. Naoto from P4 is mentioned as the original detective prince.

There's also an offhand reference to Namatame running for a seat in the Diet from the TV. There's probably more random references like that on TV but that's the only one I remember. And I think Tanaka shows up on some shady online store page if you get the laptop repaired but I never really looked into that.

• Spoileralt text

• @DeweyDTruman

I've heard tell of references to Chie, Dojima, Akihiko, and Katsuya on the TV as well but haven't seen them in game so I can't confirm. But multiple sources claim to have seen it and share the same text so I'm inclined to believe that they are true.

• Im not sure if this is a reference or not, but it's kinda similar so I'm gonna add it in. In the Disgaea series after there's a recurring quest line featuring a character called Asagi. Asagi was apparently supposed to be the main character of a game NIS were working on called Makai wars that never came out. So instead of scrapping her altogether NIS decided to put her in a bunch of their games as a character you've to fight because she wants to replace you as the main character because she never got the chance to be. 0_1509172824763_Asagi-the-Eternal-Next-Main-Character-500x291.png

• I just Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Aliens in Turrican II
    alt textalt text

• Simple Easter Eggs across series and cross properties are my kind of references. It's hard to think of a particular example beyond the Last of Us tease in Uncharted 3 and the secret room in Batman: Arkham Asylum. There are tons more, but those were the first to come to mind.