Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

• Youtube Video

So the Direct just happened, and wow, it's kinda overwhelming. The combat system sounds incredibly complex and deep, so I'm a tad worried about that, I struggled a lot with X on Wii U. I hope the tutorial and learning curve will be smooth.

But the UI looks a lot neater, the stats system seems simplified, and I love love love the Blades. There's so many cool character designs for those, honestly everyone looks good except the freaking main character.

Also, dual audio confirmed, that will make some people happy!

There will also be an Expansion Pass, with a full release schedule already laid out.

It's looking like another classic, can't wait to hear what Ben thinks when it comes out.

• I'm going to wait to see if it reviews well. Xenoblade Chronicles is one of my favourite JRPGs but couldn't get into X even though it was lovely to look at. The Menus & UI were needlessly complicated & the story & characters were pretty bland. If this is a mix between the two we could be on to a winner.

• Yoooosh, dual audio ^_^ That would have made Xenoblade X more palatable for me, Lin's english VA is attrocious, really made me hate the character. Not buying that season pass though, "Fall 2018" I could be dead by then.

• @Musou-Tensei you know you could have just bought a Japanese copy instead right?

dual audio isn't that exciting.

• After watching this I realized why I don't play JRPGs anymore. I don't care for the aesthetic that they all seem to use now. I like final fantasy during the 7-9 era and tactics and classic rpgs. Even if they tried to be all goofy with the armour back then you couldn't tell because they were sprites. Actually I would even say FF still maintains itself pretty well. Miss those pre rendered backgrounds...

• @Yoshi Of course it is, one of the most important aspects of localized japanese games imo. Also why spend more money on expensive imports, where I'm not even guaranteed that it will contain german or english subs and won't have it on release, when I can now simply buy on my country's amazon and wil most probably have it on release?
    Please think this stuff more through next time.

@CGamor7 FF 7-9 already used polgons for character models, not sprites.

• @Musou-Tensei What!? My whole world has been turned upside down lol.

I know, I meant classic rpgs in general from back in the day outside of ff7-9 sorry i know It wasn't very clear in my comment.

• A nice preview on Game Informer: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/xenoblade_chronicles_2/b/switch/archive/2017/11/07/xenoblade-chronicles-2-hands-on-feature.aspx

I liked this part:

"Because this game is story-driven, I don't think that an open world is necessarily appropriate," Takahashi explains. "And I feel that we were able to make a game [with a world] that's really appropriate and really supports the story-driven aspect of this game. [...] Like I mentioned, I don't think that such a vast space is necessary, so instead of focusing on increasing the raw surface area, we thought it was more important to increase the density and pack in as much variety in design [as possible], and for people to be able to enjoy the changing landscape as they traverse and explore this world."

Not making an open-world just for the sake of it, that's nice to hear.

• @Musou-Tensei English dub >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> crappy Japanese dubs

Japanese dubs makes every anime girl sound like a 5 year old

• @Axel said:

it's kinda overwhelming. The combat system sounds incredibly complex and deep, so I'm a tad worried about that, I struggled a lot with X on Wii U.

It's actually simplified from past games. Everything is at your fingertips now, no scrolling during battle and such.

@FutureCorpse said:

couldn't get into X even though it was lovely to look at. The Menus & UI were needlessly complicated

They've already shown off how you can turn off multiple UI elements in this game as well as them being generally simplified to begin with.

@CGamor7 said:

After watching this I realized why I don't play JRPGs anymore. I don't care for the aesthetic that they all seem to use now.

I get what you mean. Some charm was lost compared to Xenoblade Chronicles 1, but they had different famous character designers each take cracks at different rare blades for this game, so there's actually some pretty crazy diverse character design in here. I really think there's something to please everyone with the Blades at least.

@Axel Gotta remember this team helped out with Breath of the Wild's world, so I'm sure they learned lots in the process.

@Yoshi Japanese copy wouldn't have dialogue, items, etc. translated into English. Also, in the case of this game it's
    Leaders of the Japanese Industry Dub>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Whatever Scmucks Paid to English Dub.

There's really no contest here. We're talking big name Japanese professionals versus average to subpar English VAs.
    Actually impressed Nintendo paid as much as they had to just to devote to characters and giving us free Dual Audio.

• @Mbun Do you have info about those Japanese voice actors? I didn't know they hired the cream of the crop, sounds cool!

I'm sure the combat system will eventually be manageable, but it felt intimidating in the Direct with all this info thrown at you in 10 minutes. I love this way of promoting games though, might not get as much mainstream attention as a snappy expensive trailer, but it's really informative and honest.

• @Mbun those "big name professionals"

are annoying and sound like children when listening to their dubs.

• @Yoshi
    You are, as usual, wrong.

• @Axel Dualshockers has some good articles about them. Here's a couple:
    https://www.dualshockers.com/xenoblade-chronicles-2-screenshots-code-geass/
    https://www.dualshockers.com/xenoblade-chronicles-2-screenshots-tetsuya-nomura/

Yeah, it's hard to do in fifteen minutes what the game is gonna take hours easing you into. So I wouldn't worry too much about that stuff.

@Yoshi said:

are annoying and sound like children when listening to their dubs

I've seen way more people claim that for the English dub VAs.

• @Musou-Tensei and you have nothing to back up your statement as usual.

• Global Moderator

@Yoshi You don't like Japanese VO. @Musou-Tensei doesn't like English VO. Ye both get what ye want. Move on.

• I couldn't finish watching the Direct, having someone try and explain all the gameplay mechanics of Xenoblade game is a bit boring.

I liked both Xenoblade series so I'm sure I'll like this one.

I still find it weird they didn't make a sequel to X as that game "ended" with a cliffhanger.

• So do we expect Tora to live up to our Glorious Heropon Riki's expectation's?

or will Tora end up being a pile of garbage like Tatsu was in X?

• @Yoshi Probably somewhere in the middle between them.

• http://opencritic.com/game/4952/xenoblade-chronicles-2

Reviews are looking good! Just bought it off the eShop, I know what I'm doing tomorrow night!