Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

• I'm about 3.5 hours in and am having a blast.

the battle system although similar to x and the original is a huge departure. It starts out slow explaining all the mechanics, but it's definitely necessary. story and music is great so far too.

can't wait to get back to playing it.

• @Bigdude1 i don't fully understand this battle system yet. i just finished chapter one.

from what i understand it's a very rhythmic type of battle system, but i'm not sure how to do things like combos and such yet no matter how much the game explains it to me.

what's the actual indicator that tells me my blade is getting tired and needs to switch? to do a stronger attack, do i wait for 3 standard hits then do an art on the 4th?

i'm a xenoblade veteran but this seems alot more complicated than the last 2 games

• @Yoshi I'm a bit further than you and these things will be explained to you as you progress, so no worries. I don't have the answers to all of your questions yet but one important tip:

Whenever you want to trigger an Art, try do it right as one of your auto-attacks makes contact (to "cancel" the auto-attack, although it's weird they call it that because your auto-attack still does damage so it's not actually cancelled). If you time it right, you'll see a blue circle appear around your character. This will make the Art more effective and make it recharge faster. Also, the effect is stronger if you use it on the third auto-attack of a series rather than the first.

As for combos and stuff, I'm still slowly wrapping my head around it, so far enemies have always died before I had the chance to complete a full combo, so still don't know how that's supposed to look like.

• @Yoshi to do a cancel you have to wait till just after the attack hits and the rhythm of that affects damage, you will see a ring on screen if you did it correctly.

• finally got the blade combos down, basically was watching my sister playing it and i was reinterpreting the tutorials.

i wish it kept a log of it like they did in previous games. maybe they did i just dont know where.

• is there anyway to view the entire map other than using skip travel?

only beng able to use the left stick to bring up the map, and not even the full map is pissing me off. the originals map was so much better

• @Yoshi the original didnt have a full map either

but i do agree that everything being subdivided kinda makes it a little cumbersome to find skip travel points

• @Yoshi Yes I hate that too, that's probably my biggest gripe with the game right now, there's no proper map. And the compass is really not useful enough to find objectives sometimes.

• @Yoshi I know what you mean, and I am only about 3 hours into it, but I'm trying to avoid using any form of minimap at the moment. I find I just focus on that little circle instead of the amazing world they've crafted surrounding it. I did the same with the Witcher 3 and it made each area feel more real.

• @Bigdude1 Someone advised me to take screenshots of the tutorials which has helped alleviate some of the memory fade. However a tutorial log would be appreciated in a future update. What a wierd age we live in where we wait hopefully for future updates to improve games.

• @Pitcher-T there are informants in the game that can sell you the info. im not sure how in depth it is, but they tell you a lot

• Ben's review is on YouTube. Before you watch, I'd advise reading this comment Bloodworth posted:

"Some users have found the footage at 8:20 to be spoilery. If you want to skip that portion, you can go to 8:42. You can also find the text of the review at https://easyallies.com/#!/review/xenoblade-chronicles-2 We do take care to avoid spoilers, but sometimes opinions differ. -Bloodworth"

In addition, someone in the comments of the r/games post of this review says that 4:10-4:12 contains party member spoilers.

Youtube Video

Damiani tweeted this:

• i take Ben Moores opinion over Damiani's because he seems to have really high expectations of games that they cant seem to reach while Ben is more realistic.

• I do kind of miss, was it GamePro, where the review format was having, like, 3 people review games, so you've got several different outlooks.

Obviously not a realistic expectation with this crew. Just my 2 cents.

• got it today and im about a hour in enjoying it so far however the voice actings not bad per se i just dont get why they have welsh accents

• I've watched about two hours of gameplay today, I'll just say that I'm beyond convinced this game is not for me and move on, hope you all are enjoying it.

• this game is really fun but its not a perfect game in anyways. I think Ben in the review said some of the things but there are other problems. I am 27 hours in and enjoying it so far. I have never played any xenoblade before so this is my first entry. I think the combat is interesting and complex without being it to complex imo but it can really be confusing some times. I do hope ben does a stream of it even if Damiani is doing one. I would love to hear him talk live about his view on it instead of a simple review.

• @bard91 combat system?

• @Bigdude1 I would say it is mostly everything, the combat system seems very close to the first which doesn't help at all, I've watched a few more hours today, and I'm doing it because I honestly find it mesmerizingly bad

• @bard91 Combat is great, if that’s what your concern is. Whether you could appreciate it is another matter. It’s still vastly different from the first but it’s cut from the same gameplay idiology. I’m about 17 hours in and the story, side quests, and world design are also really good so far