The Game Awards 2017. Who has your vote?

• The nominees for the 2017 Game Awards have been released. I know a lot of people hate the game awards and some people love them, I personally have a love-hate relationship with them, but I want to talk about the games. Also, I was pleased to see EZA on the jury this year,

Which games are you voting for? Which games do you think should have been nominated?

Here's the nominee announcement video:
    Youtube Video

I won't list all the categories since quite frankly I don't care about a lot of them, but here's how I'm voting:
    Game of the Year: Persona 5
    Best Game Direction: TLOZ Breath of the Wild
    Best Narritive: NieR Automata
    Best Art Direction: Persona 5
    Best Score/Music: Persona 5
    Best Audio Design: TLOZ Breath of the Wild
    Best Handheld Game: Metroid Samus Returns
    Best Action Game: Cuphead
    Best Action Adventure Game: TLOZ Breath of the Wild
    Best Roleplaying Game: Persona 5
    Best Family Game: Super Mario Odyssey
    Best Strategy Game: Tooth and Tail
    Best Independent Game: Cuphead

As for games I think should have gotten nominated, I feel Persona 5 should have had a spot in Best Narrative, but that's about it. And I also think Platformers should have their own category, if they did I would have voted for Odyssey.

• Miffed that Steep didn't get nominated when every other sports game nominated is an iterative sequel.

Surprised that The Last Guardian didn't get a single Nomination.

Surprised that Wildlands didn't get a single nomination.

Find it hilarious that PUBG had been nominated for "Best Ongoing Game". Of course they're still developing it. The game hasn't reached version 1.0 yet.

• I'll post later, but working full time Mon-Fri and trying to have a social life doesn't allow me to play what I want to play all within a year.

Nier Automata, Persona 5, and Yakuza 0 have impressed the hell out of me.

Nioh was overrated imo. No idea if these were even nominated (at work, can't watch).

• Also, surprised that the Jury gets to nominate the Trending Gamer nominees. In my opinion there's a pretty clear conflict of interest there but oh well.

I'm just enjoying all the Nintendo Fans getting salty because PUBG is threatening their precious Mario and Zelda taking GOTY.

• @DIPSET said in The Game Awards 2017. Who has your vote?:

No idea if these were even nominated (at work, can't watch).

Game of the Year:
    Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Super Mario Odyssey
    PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
    Persona 5
    Horizon: Zero Dawn

Best Game Direction:
    Wolfenstein II
    Resident Evil VII
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Horizon Zero Dawn

Best Narrative:
    What Remains of Edith Finch
    NieR: Automata
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    Wolfenstein II
    Horizon Zero Dawn

Best Art Direction:
    Destiny 2
    Cuphead
    Persona 5
    Horizon Zero Dawn

Best Score/Music:
    Destiny 2
    Cuphead
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Persona 5

Best Audio Design:
    Destiny 2
    Resident Evil VII
    Super Mario Odyssey

Best Performance:
    Melina Juergens (Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice)
    Laura Bailey (Uncharted: The Lost Legacy)
    Claudia Black (Uncharted: The Lost Legacy)
    Brian Bloom (Wolfenstein II)
    Ashly Burch (Horizon: Zero Dawn)

Games for Impact:
    Please Knock on My Door
    Night in the Woods
    Life is Strange: Before the Storm
    Bury Me, My Love

Best Ongoing Game:
    Warframe
    Rainbow Six: Siege
    Overwatch
    GTA: Online
    Destiny 2

Best Mobile Game:
    Super Mario Run
    Old Man's Journey
    Monument Valley 2
    Hidden Folks
    Fire Emblem Heroes

Best Handheld Game:
    Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World
    Monster Hunter Stories
    Metroid: Samus Returns
    Fire Emblem: Echoes
    Ever Oasis

Best VR/AR Game:
    Superhot VR
    Star Trek: Bridge Crew
    Lone Echo / Echo Arena
    Farpoint
    Resident Evil VII

Best Action Game:
    Prey
    Nioh
    Destiny 2
    Cuphead
    Wolfenstein II

Best Action/Adventure Game:
    Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
    Assassin's Creed: Origins
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Horizon: Zero Dawn

Best Role Playing Game:
    South Park: The Fractured But Whole
    Final Fantasy XV
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Persona 5

Best Fighting Game:
    Tekken 7
    Nidhogg 2
    Marvel vs. CApcom: Infinite
    Injustice 2
    Arms

Best Family Game:
    Splatoon 2
    Sonic Mania
    Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    Super Mario Odyssey

Best Strategy Game:
    XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
    Tooth and Tail
    Total War: WArhammer II
    Halo Wars 2
    Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Best Sports/Racing Game:
    Project Cars 2
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
    NBA 2K18
    GT Sport
    Forza Motorsport 7
    FIFA 18

Best Multiplayer:
    Fortnite
    Call of Duty: World War II
    Splatoon 2
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    Destiny 2

Most Anticipated Game:
    The Last of Us Part II
    Red Dead Redemption II
    Monster Hunter: World
    Marvel's Spider-Man
    God of War

Best Independent Game:
    Pyre
    Night in the Woods
    Cuphead

Best Student Game:
    Meaning
    Level Squared
    Impulsion
    Falling Sky
    Hollowed
    From Light

Trending Gamer:
    Steven Spohn (AbleGamers)
    Mike Grzesiek (Shroud)
    Guy Beahm (Dr. Disrepect)
    Clint Lexa (Halfcoordinated)
    Andrea Rene (What's Good Games)

Best Esports Game:
    Rocket League
    League of Legends
    DOTA2
    Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    Overwatch

Best Esports Player:
    Kuro "KuroKy" Salehi Takhasomi (Team Liquid)
    Je-hong "ryujehong" Ryu (Seoul Dynasty)
    Nikola "NiKo" Kovac (FaZE Clan)
    Marcelo "coldzera" David (SK Gaming)
    Lee Sang-hyeok "Faker" (SK Telecom 1)

Best Esports Team:
    Team Liquid
    SK Telecom 1
    Lunatic-Hai
    FaZE Clan
    Cloud 9

Best Debut Indie Game (Fan-voted):
    Slime Rancher
    Mr. Shifty
    Hollow Knight
    Golf Story
    Cuphead

Best Chinese Game (Fan-voted in China):
    Monument Valley 2
    jx3 HD
    Gumballs
    ICEY
    King of Glory

• I'm just going to repost what I've said on Twitter:

GOTY: Horizon
    Direction: Wolfenstein 2
    Narrative: Horizon
    Art: Horizon
    Score/Music: Destiny 2
    Audio: Hellblade
    Performance: Everyone (TOO HARD)
    Games for Impact: Hellblade
    Ongoing (Yuck): Destiny 2
    Indie: Hellblade
    Mobile: Monument Valley 2
    Handheld: Metroid
    VR/AR: RE VII
    Action: Wolfenstein 2
    Action Adventure: Horizon
    RPG: FF XV (Huh.)
    Fighting: Injustice 2
    Family: MK 8
    Strategy: Mario + Rabbids
    Sports/Racing: Forza
    Multiplayer: MK 8
    Anticipated: TLoU pt. II
    Trending Gamer: Andrea Rene
    Esports: Rocket League
    Esports Player: I've never heard of these individuals.
    Esports Team: Same as above.

These are MY votes. I fully expect NONE to win, and if Odyssey or Breath of the Wild is in the category, they'll win it.

• We all know that Yakuza 0 is the real GOTY. Wasn't even nominated so that Zelda/ Mario have a chance.

• It's kinda disgusting that neither NieR nor Yakuza 0 nor Kiwami are not nominated for GotY, last 2 even for nothing.

Game of the Year:
    Super Mario Odyssey

From this list P5 is a very close second, but Mario was just amazing, if i could I would probably pick NieR though.

Best Narrative:

tbf the only game I have played through from this list but besides Yakuza 0 and P5 I can't think of any other game for this category.

Best Art Direction:
    Cuphead

Cuphead's unique art direction was just nostalgic af as I watched a lot of older Disney cartoons as child. They really put a lot of effort in it.

Best Score/Music:

For this I simply think about which OST I'd actually would listen to on my MP3 when outside, and NieR wins that without question.

Best Audio Design:
    Resident Evil VII

While I'm not the biggest RE7 fan and do not want this to be the direction the series goes (basically, cool as a one time thing, but please do something else next time), the audio design was amazing and creepy.

Best Action Game:
    Cuphead

Pure action, hard, rewarding, fun.

Best Action/Adventure Game:
    Super Mario Odyssey

Obviously.

Best Role Playing Game:
    Persona 5

Okay what? Why is NieR here? Because you level up? Might as well put Horizon here too then. Aynway since I discount NieR for this category I give it of course to the next best thing, which is the amazing P5 aka my favorite Persona game. In a world where GotYs are done once the year is actually done I would most probably pick Xenoblade 2 though. But no.

Best Family Game:
    Super Mario Odyssey

Yeah the game is definitely family friendly while not being too childish and easy, kids and parents can enjoy it.

Best Multiplayer:
    Fortnite

Since it is the only MP game I played this year, thanks to the PvP mode (? ) being not bound to a PS+ subscription. I didn't play it much but I didn't hate it, really needs driveable cars though.

Most Anticipated Game:
    Red Dead Redemption II

Well from this list that unsurprisingly has none of the weeb shit I'm actually looking forward too (but not even Ni No Kuni 2?) I choose the R* game, even though I can not say that I will buy it, I liked the last RDR but a new GTA would be much more prefered, Cars > Horses.

Best Independent Game:
    Cuphead

Duh.

Best Debut Indie Game (Fan-voted):
    Cuphead

No Contest.

• Global Moderator

Im always like a year behind on games, I mean I will finish the Horizon DLC then dive into Nier Automata and I just hope I have time to finish it so I can talk about it during the later GOTY discussions.

For now though Horizon Zero Dawn are my GOTY

• @Lotias I really enjoyed Horizon much more than I anticipated. It's the one game I felt really glad to have a PS4 Pro for. It was a gift and I felt a little bad since the person who bought it for me didn't know the difference between the vanilla PS4 and the Pro, they just bought which one was more expensive. Since most games I play aren't that technically demanding I figured getting the Pro was unnecessary. I was about to return the Pro and get a regular PS4 and give the extra money back to the person who gave it to me, but then I saw Horizon. I'm not one for games where aiming is involved since I'm dreadful at aiming but the world really intrigued me. To be honest I didn't initially get the hype, especially since I played Zelda first (albeit on WiiU) and wasn't sure how anything could top it. I really liked Zelda and thought it was a good game, but I didn't finish it because I got bored of the open world and finished the dungeons way to fast. Since everyone was hyping it up as one of the best open world games ever made I figured open world games just weren't for me. I still kind of think that since all of my favorite games are fairly linear, but I decided that before I sold my Pro I should give a game that really used the console's power a shot. Jones was talking a lot about Horizon so I gave it a try. Turns out, Horizon is awesome! I really thoroughly enjoyed the whole experiences. I haven't beaten it yet since that's just the kind of player I am. I play games over the course of a couple years, taking my time, picking them up for a few days at a time and switching between games as I please. But all the time I've spent with Horizon has shown me a whole new world of games that I want to explore. And for that I'll always appreciate it. Also because it convinced me to keep my PS4 Pro.

If Horizon had come out any other year I would have chosen it as my GotY for it's quality and for how it's changed my view of games, but I can't. Not with Persona 5 out there. Persona is my favorite franchise, and while P5 isn't even close to my favorite Persona game (it couldn't ever be considering how much more time I've spent with the other games) but it is probably objectively the best Persona or Shin Megami Tensei game ever made.

• Global Moderator

@michemagius Yeah I need to give Persona 5 a try! I keep hearing great things about it and people bring it up for GOTY since.. well its release.

With Horizon it was kinda funny, I played for about 10 hours back when it got released, Im not sure what was up at the time, but I put it to the side to play some other games and at the time it hadnt really grabbed me that much. I wrote it off for being a bit "meh". I picked it back up recently and it just really grabbed me and I couldnt stop playing or thinking about it! I HOPE that I get to play a fair share of P5 and Nier (as I mentioned) before the GOTYs so I can bring in some valid points.

• @Lotias If you do get a chance to play P5 I really recommend it. But I think you can still make a case for any of the nominees winning GotY regardless of what other ones you've played since all of them are so strong. Obviously I would like P5 to win, but I know that's highly unlikely. Even though it's been the most played Persona game, and one of the most played JRPG's this year, Zelda and Mario just have more of a widespread appeal. Not to knock either of those games' quality since I know that they are both excellent, I just think that JRPG's, especially ones like Persona are at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to GotY deliberations. P5 is a phenomenal, but super niche title. If you're not used to the art style, anime tropes/storytelling, the darkness of the story, or the themes of the Persona/SMT franchise, then P5 might not float your boat. I don't think that stops it from being one of the best JRPG's ever made, but there aren't as many JRPG fans out there as their are action or platformer fans out there, at least not in the west. And that's probably the reason why JRPG's rarely with GotY titles, and the reason Persona 5 probably won't win, it's not representative of the tastes of the majority of the people who crown titles GotY or the majority of people who read articles or vote for GotY. I hope that changes soon, because I think JRPG's deserve more of a spotlight in the gaming community at large.

• Just hoping that we here could have our own GOTY voting in January then, like EZA themselves are going to do it this time. I'm hoping to be able to play South Park and possibly Injustice 2 still in December.

At the moment my Game of the Year is Horizon Zero Dawn, but AC Origins is a close second. Other than that, I hope Claudia Black wins the Best Performance. <3

• @Sentinel-Beach i cant wait to vote on the forums goty

• The 2017 GOTY thread is going to be great.

• @Sentinel-Beach Yeah, I can't wait for the Forums GotY vote, I have a feeling it's going to be buckwild but fun. And considering how diverse the tastes on these forums are I really wonder which game will come out on top.

• Global Moderator

@michemagius Yeah I really want to play it through though since I am a huge JRPG fan, just funny how I missed the Persona and also the Yakuza series before I got into the EZA community. I've always been over the Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, suikoden etc. I really like the sound of Persona 5 because its dark story (also the music is awesome). I just havent taken me the time to play it yet or been out of money. I wanted to play it in September, but since I lost my job I preoritised food over games. But now though Im waiting to get payed from my new contract and then I want to buy it to give it a try. I guess a good thing is that is has gone down in price a little now, so if I dont like it, thats still okey. Still dont know too much about the series though, you collect... personas? and use them in battle? are the battle system hard/complicated? it feels like recent RPGs have tried to do the combat more and more complicated with different weapons, potions etc which just makes me annoyed. I want something fairly straight forward with a flow.

• Persona 5 wasn't nominated for best narrative, awards shows are worthless and inept as per usual.

• I really really want to see Nier Automata win something, just because of the idea that Yoko Taro might be there in that goofy Emile hat, lol.

• we expanding it this year to 10 votes a person or keep it at 5? 5 is gonna be hard.